“One of the best hotels in Europe”
Review of Hotel Kamp

Hotel Kamp
Ranked #5 of 66 Hotels in Helsinki
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Almost everything about this hotel was awesome. I had the pleasure of staying here for three nights in the beginning of September for a quick vacation in Helsinki. Upon check in, I was warmly greeted and escorted to my amazing room on the 8th floor. The furniture, decor, and amenities were exemplary of what one should expect in a historic 5* luxury hotel.

The spa was very well kept and well equipped. The gym was adequate for the size of the hotel. I didn't dine at the hotel, but all requests made (from requesting ice to concierge services) were responded to very quickly and with a smile.

The location is awesome. It's right in the center of Helsinki, two blocks from the train/bus station, and two blocks from the water. Everyone that lives in Helsinki knows Hotel Kamp.

The only things I could think of that weren't perfect were:
1) The wi-fi signal in my room was fairly low. This was likely because I was in the corner of the hotel.
2) One request was made to the concierge for renting bikes. The concierge called and informed us that the location was closed. When we called, they said they were open.

These were small issues that certainly didn't affect my overall impression of this grand hotel!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank TylerTheTraveler84

Reviewed September 12, 2011

I was incredibly impressed by the staff at this hotel. They were excellent from start to finish. The history is fascinating, and when I got off on the wrong side of the 2nd floor one of the managers who happened to be there took me into the Mirror Room to show it to me and regale me with the history.
The staff is very proud of this hotel, which went bankrupt in the late 60s, and they want to show it off and make sure your stay is excellent.
The hotel also takes good care of Starwood Platinum members, which is important when choosing a hotel.
The rooms are quite large by European standards.
I had a marble bath big enough for 2 separate from the shower as well as a bidet.
The towels were plush and the bathrobes lovely.
When I called downstairs to ask for washcloths, they were delivered in less than 5 minutes.
The hotel is right on the Esplanade, in the design and shopping district and an easy walk to the Market Square (ferries), the Helsinki Cathedral and other tourist attractions. The front desk staff will provide maps and directions.
The breakfast buffet is delicious, but don't bother if it doesn't come with your room, as it is quite expensive. Go across the street to the cafeteria Karl Fazer - it is cheaper and an Helsinki landmark.
The hotel isn't without its flaws, however. Room service is extremely limited and very expensive. It amazed me how the translations to English here (and throughout Finland) were so weak in this day and age. There were days when housekeeping was excellent and days when it was passable.
The hotel has wireless and cable-based Internet.
A problem on my bill (mini bar charge) was taken care of quickly and without any fuss.
So what if the TV is slow, you typically aren't in Helsinki to watch TV. The one thing that bothered me is the TV defaulted to the pay channels again and again and again. If you aren't careful, you'll end up paying for something you don't want.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 3, 2011

I liked this hotel its a very good hotel friendly helpful staff rooms are spacious and well appointed the location is the best in Helsinki with everything in walking distance we enjoyed it alot. Cafe kamp ists a nice cafe with delcious desserts and food and the best Cappucino i ever had in my life Helsinki worth the visit and this is the place to stay and hopefully when we come again Hotel Kamp is the choice.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank KhalifaQatar
Reviewed August 31, 2011

I always stay in this hotel, when visiting Helsinki. This time I stayed 6 nights with my daughter. Our room wasn`t vacum cleaned at all during the whole stay, we had dust all over the fioors in the bathroom and the areas with hardwood floor. You could have written with your finger on the thick layer of dust on the desk. I told the reception several times about the circumstances, and they were very sorry and promised to send somebody. But the housekeeping staff who had come because of the reclamations, didn`t clean correctly. I think they don`t know how to clean, maybe they are only doing that in the summer vacation.
I have never stayed in a hotelroom that dirty.
(I normally stay 3 nights and in that time you don`t see if the room is vacum cleaned in between.)
Everything else was good, as always is.
But if I had a choice with the same location, but clean rooms, I would go there.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Ann190454
Reviewed August 30, 2011

I was not an hotel guest but I was tired of my trip in the Helsinki rainy centre and I tried to have luck asking a massage in the spa.I was lucky! the massage with a Miss L., a serious and professional therapist with golden hands was faboulos! The classic (sport) massage of 55 minutes was "only" (considering Helsinki prices and the luxurious hotel compound) 84 euro! the best thing was the complimentary use of the thermal brand new spa inside, componing of classic finnish sauna, steam grotto, hamman (big with impressive decor), holistic shower and relaxation area. the international touch was the mixed guest access (quite uncommon in Finland) that I found pleasant because I don't liked naked people around me (better mixed but covered that naked of the same sex) but this is a personal opinion.
definitely go, it was not busy at all, and after that 2 hours I feel a real diva!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I had the destinct displeasure of staying in this 5 star hotel on 16 and 17th August 2011 & had all of my preccription medication stolen from my wash bag in the bathroom of my room. I must warn fellow travelers to beware of prescription medication thefts in this hotel, as having spoken to several others on our trip I discovered that they had antibiotics stolen as well. The reception staff were going to look into it and provide me with details of their investigations into the electronic key card activation to my room. It is now the 30th August & I have not had the reply!
Fellow travellers lock your prescription medication in your safe when staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 27, 2011

We recently spent two nights at the Hotel Kamp on a last-minute weekend getaway. Its location is outstanding - a stone's throw from the vast majority of places of interest, to include the train station. The staff at the hotel was friendly and helpful and our room was large, bright, and well-appointed. The business center is tiny, with only two computers, and there are no time limits placed on users when others are waiting. This can be trying when a thoughtless guest camps out for an extended period. The bar was closed when we were there and we did not make use of the spa facilities. The breakfast at the hotel is outrageously priced, so we walked down to the market and had suitable, filling meals for a fraction the cost.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple