“Good setting, good starter and dessert lunch buffet (with main course, as extra), good service”
Review of Alia

Alia
Ranked #682 of 1,511 Restaurants in Helsinki
Cuisines: Scandinavian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Hsinchu, Taiwan
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The price tag is rather high for lunch, but that was not unexpected before we went there - I knew what I was up to :) Altogether it was reasonable! (100€ for 3 people, incl. 2 espressos. No drinks but tapwater).

The place is really nice - well, tastefully furnished, good kitchenware, white linens - all good promises to a good experience! And it kept its promises!

The lunch buffet has a great starters selection - all of very good quality, nicely presented and not your standard lunch starter buffet. These guys not only know what they do, you can also see and taste they do enjoy doing what they do.
For the main course I opted for the arctic char that was perfectly cooked and seasoned.
The desserts were very good too.

The service was excellent, genuinely friendly, professional and as a bonus, speaking French.

Much recommended!

• Visited October 2012

• Finnish first
Nice
“Good food, bad service not up to standard.”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Our finnish friends chose the place to make us taste the real deal in scandinavian cuisine, so we had the "Brunssi" on Saturday.
Nice place, good choice buffet with quite good food and presentation, the main course was very well cooked and presented, so were the desserts.
It doesn't get 5 out of 5 for the poor service: out of the staff who attended at our table only the waitress tried her best, while the males were embarassing. For instance, I never saw any restaurant not removing dishes after they were emptied or dropping any service at the magic sound of the word "bill".
Our friends made anyway our day bringing us there, we really enjoyed the food, but if you'd need perfect service this is not your place.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank AgentOrangeIt
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent relaxed Sunday brunch in a lovely setting”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I have just returned from a weekend in Helsinki and my girlfriend and I had a great brunch here yesterday. The weather was warm which meant that we could comfortably sit outside on the terrace. The quality of the food (and coffee) was superb. Very well displayed buffet with lots of tempting dishes. Choice of fish or meat for main course. Nice desserts! The waiting staff were lovely and the service very attentive. It felt like quite an upscale/upmarket affair but it was very relaxed and unrushed. Not stuffy/pretentious in any way. And the tables were nicely spaced apart, rather than cramped up against each other (I hate the latter!). My one and only gripe was that the prosecco portion I was served was a little on the mean side. Go on, fill up that glass a bit more towards the brim - not just half-way. That did rather surprise me. Other than that minor observation/fault, I can highly recommend this for a wonderfully relaxed and slightly indulgent Sunday brunch. A real treat!

• Visited July 2012
Nurmijarvi, Finland
“Lunch was big disappointment and it was freezing cold inside.”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We had summer lunch here on june 2012. The day wasn't warm so we decided to sit inside. It was really cold there too, and I was freezing entire time when having lunch.

There was a buffet for starters, which included potatoes, bread and different type of cold fish dishes. They were good, but if you don't like fish or shrimps that table have not much to offer.

After the starters I expected the main course to be good as well. There were two choices. Because I don't like anything smoked, I ate lamb&beetroot mince meat steak with mashed potatoes. (other was smoked salmon file) The portion size was really small. The steak didn't taste anything special. It tasted like home cooked meal, and when I eat out I expect something more.

For the dessert there were buffet again. Some kind of cheese cake with blueberry topping, inside it was white and creamy and didn't taste blueberry. Typical finnish strawberry cake, which had strawberries on the top, and very thin layer of strawberry jam in between with white creamy stuff. It was dry. Those two cakes should taste and feel different but they were almost the same. Then there was panna cotta, with raw rhubarb pieces in syrup. Panna cotta was disappointment as well. It didn't taste vanilla, cream or anything special.

So all in all the lunch was disappointment for me, because my expectations were high. Service was fast though and there weren't much people around so we were able to talk in piece.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Cadhlan
Helsinki, Finland
“Great weekend brunch/lunch”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

An old villa located in an island close to city center. Been there with friends, family and business colleagues. Excellent concept; beautiful house, good service, great buffet table, then main course and a dessert buffet. Summer time choose always the terrace and remember to ask vine recommendations.

• Visited April 2012