“1 hour 20 minutes to eat 7 dishes + 2 desserts and out of the door..You must be kidding me”
Review of Farang

Farang
Ranked #18 of 1,554 Restaurants in Helsinki
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Kampinmalmi
Description: tel +358 9 4544 212
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I just came from Farang where I had a shared tasting menu with another person. I went there by thinking we would both order a separate tasting menu, which usually is possible in other restaurants, to find out at the same table people must pick the same menu.

Obviously, this is a great deal for the restaurant, 2 people pay 60+ eur each for the same stuff, but for the customer it´s not really value for money. At this point the price of the menu should be shared to!

Anyway, we had some drinks before starting to eat, which were really nice and so far so good.
The atmosphere was a bit too dark for my taste as I like bright environments and we were eating cheek to cheek with another table, only being separated by a curtain, which feels strange.
But still, so far so good.
The waiters were polite and we picked our tasting menu with scallops, pork, etc..
The food was actually very nice, but the things I disliked were:

1. too much use of coconut: in all 4 dishes had coconut

2. the speed all was coming out of the kitchen and this is actually the biggest minus

Since we sat at the table to the moment we finished and were out of the door, 1 hour 20 minutes had elapsed. You have to be kidding me! In all we had 7 dishes and 2 tiny weenie desserts in 1 hour 20 minutes.

Eating should give you a sense of joy and you should be able to enjoy and talk about the different dishes, but there I had a feeling I was in a hurry.
The main 6 dishes had been served in 45 minutes I counted, which is impressively efficient, but really deficient for my experience as a customer.

In my opinion this doesn´t make sense. It was not supposed to be a fast food chain I went to eat to.
When we gave feedback, the waitress was very polite and clarified this is an Asian style restaurant where several dishes are brought to the table at the same time.
Sure, I have been in Asia too, but the quicker you bring stuff to the table, where I´m still eating the previous one, the quicker I will be in a hurry to finish the 1 dish not to get the 2 dish cold.

In short, though the food was good though too coconutty, I was disappointed, it was not a pleasant experience I wanted after a week at work, it was a quickie I had AND a very pricy one.

There are newer reviews for Farang

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The tasting menu was something special. Enjoyed a lot. Just choose wines chosen by restaurant. Not cheap but worth it.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We went again to Farang, this time for my father-in-law's 70th birthday. Whilst annoying that because we were 11 we had to have the tasting menu, we were so glad we did. Every dish was an explosion of flavours - some very spicy (papaya salad) and some sweet and savoury (scallops with tamarind and coconut I think it was). Everyone in the party loved the food and Päivi's vegan food was just as flavoursome. Service was excellent with plenty of explanation of the food and I even had a menu and explanations in English despite being the sole non-native Finnish speaker. €64 for a 6-7 course tasting menu seemed like a bargain come the end of the meal. Simply one of the best meals we have eaten anywhere.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

After walking through a blizzard and arriving at the hotel with snow in the hair it was a real pleasure to sit down with perfect and very unique cocktails while we were discussing wich tasting menue to go fore. The one we went for included both fish, veal and pork, everything perfect prepared. This was a unique and very good welcome to Helsinki,.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We had dinner with another couple on a weekday night. The place was packed but it didn't bother us because we concentrated on the food and good company. We had the tasting menu and the sommelier's wine package to go. We all loved the food and the wines supported the asian flavors nicely. Service was swift and friendly. This was our first time and we'll definitely be back.