“New and shiny Viking Grace but one too many design flaws”

Viking Line - Day Cruises
Ranked #15 of 278 things to do in Helsinki
Helsinki, Finland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“New and shiny Viking Grace but one too many design flaws”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

We recently tested the new M/S Viking Grace from Turku to Stockholm and back. Our expectation were high while booking one of the luxury suites at bow of deck seven. Appearance wise the cabin was everything we expected, spacious with lovely views, a complimentary minibar and selection of fruit. To our absolute horror, however, the moment the ship prepared to depart, the entire suite turned into a metal work factory in terms of sound effect. If it had been just the one time or even just the departure and arrival that the whole clatter and bang noises appeared, it may have been bearable but unfortunately the same earsplitting soundtrack was played no less than 6 times (twice in the middle of the night when docking and departing from Mariehamn and at the crack of dawn in Stockholm). Do not select this cabin if you expect to sleep soundly.

The ships other facilities performed as well as can be expected. However I would offer a word of warning to anyone with high expectations of the Spa area. It is no more a spa than any other swimming pool on any other ship. In fact, there is no swimming pool just two jacuzzis and a couple of sauna's. There isn't a lot of room so the experience is not at all exclusive if crowded. And for all those with moving difficulties or limitations, please don't waste your money on the entrance unless you just want to try out one of the saunas. The ladders to the jacuzzis are made for mountain climbers. Do bring your own footwear, the floors are slippery beyond belief. The treatments were relative to the price level, not amazing and not too expensive.

A visually beautiful ship, excellent breakfast at Oscar a la carte.

Visited April 2014

• Thai first
  • Turkish first
Turku, Finland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“American Living In Finland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

I go to Stockholm now and then. Usually, I take my car. The VIKING GRACE is a very nice ship. Don't expect on a Finnish cruise what you experience on a luxury Carribean cruise. The atmosphere is completely different. First of all, you have to be prepared to get up very early and expect to have your room cleaned while you have breakfast. If you have special needs, inform the crew when you board. I take my pets, so the car attendents have to leave me enough room to open the doors to my car as I take my pets in the cabin (guinea pigs in travel boxes) to give them food and water.

The Viking has good food overall and more restaurants to choose from then the Silja line. The wine has been good also. I don't understand the person who complained that 19-year-olds have to be accompanied by a parents. Write a letter of complaint to the Viking CEO. In Finland, you are an adult at 18 years of age, but you are not allowed hard liquor - only beer and wine. Still, I would write a letter and complain.

Expect Finns to party. People will get drunk, but they never bother me. Even drunk, most Finns are well-behaved.

If you travel from May - September, you can see at night because it's not so dark up here in the North.

The key to getting good service from Finns is being polite. If you get an answer that is unacceptable, go see the Head Purser. If you are making reservations over the phone and you get an answer you don't like, call Viking headquarters main office. I had a problem with a customer service rep who was Estonian and finally, I just hung up and called back. That's one reason I no longer travel with Silja.

If you expect luxury on a Finnish cruise, forget it. You will get good service, good food, and you probably won't get sick with a Norovirus. If you want to be pampered, then take the cruise from Helinkski to Germany, go to Norway, or sail the Carribean.

I don't understand these people who say the carpet on the Grace is worn out or the cabins are old. The ship is NEW. Read that again, you whiners: NEW.

Happy Sailing!

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Sally H
Kansas City, Missouri
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Fun overnight cruise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

We took Viking line on an overnight trip from Stockholm to Helsinki. The website wasn't very user friendly, so I just winged it when I chose our room and I had very low expectations. We had a 4 person economy room. Unfortunately, it was below the car deck and the hallway smelled like gas, but we didn't notice it in our room. The room had 4 cots that folded down from the wall which were surprisingly comfortable. We did the buffet dinner, which was great! Spent the night in various bars enjoying music and karaoke before going to bed. The next morning, we had a good breakfast buffet before leaving the ship. The ride was very rocky, but the weather was stormy. Overall, it was a good little trip, and the fact that our room was very small and minimal wasn't bothersome because we spent very little time there.

Visited April 2014
4 Thank SraMcRoth
Paris, France
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Ravi!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

We booked our ticket two days earlier to do a day-trip to Stockholm. The rates were very good, the cabin a little old but comfortable, the ship offered various amusement and restaurant....
As it was a night travel to stockholm, we relaxed and enjoyed to be ready to visit this new city.

Good price to travel and visit the Northern Europe......

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Tom C
London, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Great for a lads night away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

Great concept which I have never experienced before. Basically a pleasure cruise in the seas between Sweden and Finland for one night. Cabins were clean and relatively spacious considering there were 3/4 men per room. Good power shower as well to shake off the hangover the next morning. The facilities on board the cruise liner were fantastic. A buffet dinner and brunch for around £20 (including unlimited beer or wine). There were 3 nightclubs on board the vessel, a pub and numerous arcade games for younger people. The mix of people on board was impressive, ranging from University students, families and divorcees looking for a fun weekend away. The costs of booking the trip were not extortionate (around £70 p.p) which, for the novelty factor, was well worth paying. This is a Swedish institution, which I would highly recommend to anyone up for a laugh and a few beers – not ideal however if you are looking for a quiet night away.

Visited March 2014