“The best live music in town” 5 of 5 bubbles

Tavastia Klubi
Helsinki, Finland
89 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 130 helpful votes
“The best live music in town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Tavastia Club is the club for rock´n roll etc. It our Marquee.
All the Finnish bands like to play there. They know what they do.

Visited September 2013

• Finnish first
Espoo, Finland
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“The ROCK Club in Helsinki”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Famous rock club in Helsinki. Hasnt chance a bit in many many years.

Many big names visit there more randomly or more regular. Like famous new years concerts.

If you havent been here then you havent been in rock club in Helsinki.

Visited January 2013
Helsinki, Finland
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“THE place to see gigs in Helsinki”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Tavastia Klubi history is over 40 years long and it means a lot to the history of Finnish rock. I have see numerous concerts in the past 20 years. This week I went to see J. Karjalainen, one of the most established artists in Finland. Tavastia is a very good venue; you can see the stage well, the sound and acoustics are good, the athmosphere is great. The bars are a bit expensive, and so is the fee for the cloakroom. But generally the staff is polite. I've always had a good time in Tavastia. Go check the website out, the history section is pretty interesting.

Visited April 2013
Folkestone, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Beware if you are a tourist”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I went to a few gigs here in dec 2012 and did not like it. The staff were impolite and unhelpful, there were security pushing girls near the stairs which was dangerous and unprofessional. One girl got really badly hurt and trampled and security failed to prevent this. Numerous other guests were hurt while I was there.

During the performance people were allowed to push right in ront of us despite the fact that we'd been waiting hours to be near the front. The security pretended not to notice and didn't seem to care. They mostly ignored us when we tried to get their attention.

There was one young security member who I found to be helpful at the front of the stage by the barrier who was doing a good job looking out for troublemakers and lifted out a few drunk girls who had shoved their way into the crowd and were mindlessly flailing about and whacking innocent bystanders. So props to that guy, whoever you are!

My partner and I found we were ripped off for cloakroom too. On the first night there I was told I had to pay 6 euro to use the cloakroom, even though neither I nor my partner had any coat or anything to deposit in the cloakroom. Nor were we given a ticket, number or receipt and the staff told that everybody is charged for 'tax reasons' when we asked why as we had nothing to deposit and did not require cloakroom.

When on the way out I tried to express my dissatisfaction at this fee the security guard pretended not to speak much english and tried to sway the conversation asking what hotel my partner and I were at which was completely irrelavent. We had booked a hotel close by and had paid for a taxi to the venue so we did not need to take coats but none of that was relavent to the issue at hand. I eventually gave up trying to explain to him as he clearly was as dumb as he looked.

I am not a finnish citizen, nor is the person who was with me. My partner and I travelled from England and are unaware of such legal obligations to pay a 'cloakroom tax', we certainly do not have this custom in england. We were not informed prior to entering and I was advised at the time if purchase that the cost of my tickets included tax. So, I spoke to my hotel concierge and asked if it really is finnish custom that everyone is charged cloackroom tax. They seemed shocked and baffled and kindly got in touch with Tavastia directly. Tavastia admitted to having wrongly charged us where it is not necessary to pay a cloak room tax. There is no such Finnish TAX which exists so we were lied to and made to pay and never got reimbursed. Although, on the phone to the hotel, Tavastia promised that we would not me charged for cloak room that following night when we had tickets for another gig also. When we arrived for the second time there was thankfully nobody at the cloakroom area and we did not get charged! I hope the staff got into trouble after my hotel complained.

Such fraudulent activity is against the law and considered scamming. So, I wanted to make sure it was going to be dealt with. When I got back to england I contacted Tavastia explaining the issue. I was given the managers email and told to take it up with them. Despite the fact that I contacted them three times with substantial emails giving all the details they did not even have the courtesy or balls to response. I did advise that this fraudulent activity would be reported if they could not justify the charge, or reimburse my partner and I our money. We never even got an apology for the inconvenience. Very unprofessional way of dealing with complaints, especially when the venue was at fault. Therefore I have reported the issue to Trading Standards along with my concerns about the safety of the guests who will be looking into it.

I hope this review and information is helpful to somebody, as I do not wish for future tourists to be taken advantage of by the Tavastia. It's such a shame the Tavastia venue would appear to value money over reputation and I would never go here again and will not be recommending it.

Visited December 2012
7 Thank Cryption
Finland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“for live music”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

The best club for live music. I'm going there for heavy metal bands only, but also softer music available...