“Beware if you are a tourist”
Review of Tavastia Klubi

Tavastia Klubi
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I went to a few gigs here in dec 2012 and did not like it. The staff were impolite and unhelpful, there were security pushing girls near the stairs which was dangerous and unprofessional. One girl got really badly hurt and trampled and security failed to prevent this. Numerous other guests were hurt while I was there.

During the performance people were allowed to push right in ront of us despite the fact that we'd been waiting hours to be near the front. The security pretended not to notice and didn't seem to care. They mostly ignored us when we tried to get their attention.

There was one young security member who I found to be helpful at the front of the stage by the barrier who was doing a good job looking out for troublemakers and lifted out a few drunk girls who had shoved their way into the crowd and were mindlessly flailing about and whacking innocent bystanders. So props to that guy, whoever you are!

My partner and I found we were ripped off for cloakroom too. On the first night there I was told I had to pay 6 euro to use the cloakroom, even though neither I nor my partner had any coat or anything to deposit in the cloakroom. Nor were we given a ticket, number or receipt and the staff told that everybody is charged for 'tax reasons' when we asked why as we had nothing to deposit and did not require cloakroom.

When on the way out I tried to express my dissatisfaction at this fee the security guard pretended not to speak much english and tried to sway the conversation asking what hotel my partner and I were at which was completely irrelavent. We had booked a hotel close by and had paid for a taxi to the venue so we did not need to take coats but none of that was relavent to the issue at hand. I eventually gave up trying to explain to him as he clearly was as dumb as he looked.

I am not a finnish citizen, nor is the person who was with me. My partner and I travelled from England and are unaware of such legal obligations to pay a 'cloakroom tax', we certainly do not have this custom in england. We were not informed prior to entering and I was advised at the time if purchase that the cost of my tickets included tax. So, I spoke to my hotel concierge and asked if it really is finnish custom that everyone is charged cloackroom tax. They seemed shocked and baffled and kindly got in touch with Tavastia directly. Tavastia admitted to having wrongly charged us where it is not necessary to pay a cloak room tax. There is no such Finnish TAX which exists so we were lied to and made to pay and never got reimbursed. Although, on the phone to the hotel, Tavastia promised that we would not me charged for cloak room that following night when we had tickets for another gig also. When we arrived for the second time there was thankfully nobody at the cloakroom area and we did not get charged! I hope the staff got into trouble after my hotel complained.

Such fraudulent activity is against the law and considered scamming. So, I wanted to make sure it was going to be dealt with. When I got back to england I contacted Tavastia explaining the issue. I was given the managers email and told to take it up with them. Despite the fact that I contacted them three times with substantial emails giving all the details they did not even have the courtesy or balls to response. I did advise that this fraudulent activity would be reported if they could not justify the charge, or reimburse my partner and I our money. We never even got an apology for the inconvenience. Very unprofessional way of dealing with complaints, especially when the venue was at fault. Therefore I have reported the issue to Trading Standards along with my concerns about the safety of the guests who will be looking into it.

I hope this review and information is helpful to somebody, as I do not wish for future tourists to be taken advantage of by the Tavastia. It's such a shame the Tavastia venue would appear to value money over reputation and I would never go here again and will not be recommending it.

7  Thank Cryption
There are newer reviews for Tavastia Klubi

Reviewed March 21, 2013

The best club for live music. I'm going there for heavy metal bands only, but also softer music available...

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Great place to see bands (just don't care 'bout rock-polices), quality sound and light system & professional house techs.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

there isnt alot to say about tavastia as its simply known in helsinki, there is a ticket outlet right next door which sells tickets to tavastia gigs and of course alot of other gigs. tavastia is a good place to go see alot of mid sized decent acts and they list the coming events on a poster outside the venue., so simply pop next door and purchase your tickets. prices of course vary depending on the artist.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Brilliant place for bands and beer. The most traditional place Helsinki down town. Place to see old rockers. There's a small club in the back yard which is also worth visiting - sometimes you might even wanna check out backyard first for some punk, rock or big names doing undercover gicks.