“Center with grill”
Review of Ravintola Werner

Ravintola Werner
Ranked #331 of 1,908 Restaurants in Helsinki
Reviewed January 21, 2020 via mobile

Located in the very center, simple desing, used to be a bookstore inold time where the name derives.
We were about the last visitors and the staff was a bit tired. So we waited more than it is usually happens.
Anyway the guys were friendly and helpful.
We were sat at the table next to the grill! Don’t do it unless you have no other choice.
It was boiling hot sitting there. On the other hand one can observe the chef’s magic manipulations with grilling.
The food was very good, balanced and full of taste.
The wine choice also good.
I would tell that the dessert was quite ordinary and I wouldn’ recommend it ( mascarpone and plums with caramel)
So for a dinner in a good company quite a nice place.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (136)

Reviewed December 18, 2019

My vegetarian dish was burnt black in the grill. When we asked the waiter about the spoilt dish, we got an answer that it should be like that: cauliflower and other vegetables covered by black coal. The same issue with burnt bread. The service was indifferent, no offers to return the black dish back to kitchen. The wine was fine, to cover the bad taste.
The restaurant reminded me of school corridors in 70s: plain and loud, walls surrounded by plain coat tracks. It is rare to receive really bad food in Helsinki, but Werner gave this unpleasant surprise.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed November 15, 2019

I, my wife's and all my visitor's favourite dish have been the Six weeks dry-aged beef entrecôte on the bone made on the open grill. When ordering the table, I ordered this dish. Despite the advance order of the dish, it took about 1½ hour before we got the portion. Asked also if we could get some bread, the answer was: To this portion does not come bread, you can buy it. At earlier visits it did. Additionally, the portion price had been increased with about 20 Euro up to 92 from my earlier visit about a year ago. The visual look of the portion in the dimly lighted restaurant looked as usual, good. But the meet was so though that I asked for a file knife, this didn't improve the tenderness of the meat. Another disaster was my wine choice, selected the Barolo Bussia Sopana Vigna Mondoca 2006 which should be a reasonably good one, cost around 150. Unfortunately, the wine was flat and tasteless.

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed October 6, 2019

You need to book a table in advance as this is a popular place. Inside is cut back and simply style but a nice place to be. Staff are friendly and efficient.

Tried the 58 Euro set menu for the 3 of us.

The starters were excellent, especially the Steak Tartare - The Lamb main course was superb, I can say that the wood grill adds to the cooking in a very positive way.

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed September 9, 2019 via mobile

A business dinner with ca. 8 people. We started with champagne, which was of course great. Then, the flatbread and hummus, some cold cuts and vegetables. All were good. But the real treat was siika. It was charcoal-grilled just the right way and left no room for improvement. All food was accompanied by matching wines and the selection was really good, but not outstanding. The service, well, a basic Helsinki experience, so no problem and everything worked well.

Date of visit: September 2019