“it is not really 5 star hotel”
Review of Hotel Haven

Hotel Haven
Ranked #8 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
athens
“it is not really 5 star hotel”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed 4 nights at Haven hotel. I returned back very unhappy. It was a bad experience for me.. A big disappointment.
1**when i arrived by taxi, nobody helped me with baggages. After chec in, they gave me the room card and i went alone to the room. They did not show me how works the shower , t.v. etc.
2 ** the bathroom was full of water, whenever you use the shower in the tube. I asked .the duty manager to come and see that, and she told me that allways happens ! IT IS A BIG PROBLEM! And sure, not for 5 star hotel ! I had a lux room, more expensive than the others, it had nice harbor view, it was at 6 floor, but the tables were damaged and the office chair and an other seat, blue, were very dirty and you could not seat ! The duty manager asked me if i want to change the dirty chair !
The manager was on easter holiday, so i never met him.
3 ** THE BIGEST PROBLEM was with black out curtins. They are shorter, they are not as long as have to be, so every morning i waked up at 5.30 ! ! !It is crazy ! I cannot sleep if it is not dark in bedroom , like the most people in the world ! A 5 STAR hotel, must has the right curtins for right black out !! ! !
The breakfast it was opened at 7.30, so i was waiting 2 hours. It was nice, you had many choices and the people there were kind. But you have to pay EXTRA if you want omelette!
The housekeeper came at 10.00 at the morning, she was very kind and she tried to fix it up, with black out,but the room again had iside light .So, i could not sleep.A man from reseption, told me to give me another room, BYT NOT LUX, with NO VIEW, and SMALLER !!! Of course, i said no ! The right thing is to offer me an upgrate and they told me the oposite !After this, they told me to help me to change hotel. But i wanted 5 star hotel and harbor view. There is only 1 more 5 star in helsinki and no harbor view, so i did not change.
I had sent 4 mails before go to haven hotel and they told me that blackout and everything willbe fine, but it was not !
4 *** tv in bathroom it was broken !When i told them, they told me that they fix it up, and the next day, i asked again and they told me that was broken !
5 ***After 2 days, i asked again to change room and at the evening, they show me one, lux room, at 8 floor, bigger than mine at 6 floor, but the view wasnot so nice.
6 *** the hotel is in a nice point and you can go for shopping , eating etc, very easy. It has also a nice bar, inside and i had a glass of wine but it is very very expensive !
7 **Some ladies at reception, are not kind and i felt very bad and very sad.One told me that has not curtins at her house and she put me black bags at the windows but i was awfull !
8 ***One housekeeping, with DIRTY HANDS gave me the clean towels !
9 ***No clock in the room , nowhere !
10 ***During chec out, i told them that i was very sorry, i had spend a lot of money and 5 days and i was without sleep because of their short black out curtins and they didnot care !
All in all, i had a bad experience in hotel haven . It is not a really 5 star hotel ! I went to relaxe, but i returned very very tired and of course , very sad with this behavor ! Big disapointment !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank avgerini g

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Finnish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2013

A lovely welcoming hotel in a great location for seeing the city. Staff were friendly and room gorgeous (with Elemis products in bathroom - mmm!). A cosy lounge / bar area with a lovely fire and a world class selection of whiskies!
Breakfast was fresh and tasty - coffee served in Finnish mugs I wanted to take home!
A stone's throw from the harbour and tram stops - as well as the city's best shopping.
For either business, with friends or for a romantic break - I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank angela_paterson
Espoo, Finland
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Hotel Haven's ready thought structure works. They literally think on behalf of you and reminds of deadlines closing with a friendly call. All changes was easy to made and connections with two restaurants with meeting facilities worked well. Easily connected from the Helsinki harbour - ships from Tallinn and Stockholm just outside. Also parking not too complicated and yet in the heart of the city.

1 Thank Practicenjoyer
Altrincham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We took the overnight ferry (M/S Silja Serenade (Tallink Silja)) from "Värtahamnen" terminal Stockholm to Helsinki. Arrived in the morning at "Olympia Terminal" in Helsinki; with two small hand luggage,walked towards the city centre (@ the terminal main entrance turned right and spotted the view of the city) by following the crowd; walked passed the car park by the harbor (on our right) ; crossed the main road at the end of the car park (saw a yellow/ orange bricks building) at the marked pedestrian crossing; turned into a side street (paved with cobblestones like) and walked uphill; took the immediate right and we saw the sign of the main entrance of the hotel.

Total journey took us 15-20 minutes and was lovely on a sunny day. The hotel was located at a side street but it was close the naked statue surrounded by seals by the habor & market place which could be easily located on the map. You could email the hotel for direction, we did. There were trams, and taxis outside the terminal so with heavy luggage you could use the taxis service.

On arrival we were greeted by Erkki who was professional and helpful and checked us in and helped us to plan our sightseeing trip in the city. We were impressed when he told us that we could buy the "Helsinki Card" from the hotel and also booked & reserved seats for us for our guided bus tour + gave us the city maps & directions. The other female receptionists were also helpful, friendly and speak good English.

The tour bus (was yellow/ orange) departed from the Esplanade park (behind the glass restaurant (approx. 5 minute walk from hotel). The tour lasted approx. 2 hour which we really enjoyed. Would recommend it! If you need more info. just ask at check-in, they are only too happy to help.

We had a twin room and bathroom- was spacious, with tasteful decors and comfortable with lovely furnishing and did enjoy a great night sleep. Love to have been able to open the windows but the air condition was great so it was fine. There were coffee and tea making facilities as well as good wifi.

Breakfast was served in a cosy cafe within the hotel ground which was relaxing with great and friendly service. There were great selections of hot and cold items plus champagne! Loved the traditional Finnish pie Karjalan piirakka" ("Karelian pie") & one of the lovely female staff wrote the name down for me.

The hotel was within walking distance to various tourist attractions: Senate Square, (white building), Uspenski Cathedral, bridge of love, market square.. ; shops and cafes, BigMac..; department stores: "Stockmann" (like Selfridges, John Lewis), “Helsingfors” (central train station where we would catch our train, 35 Allergro to St Petersburg). Close to the hotel, was a little store (like 7 eleven) with yellow signage, at the corner facing the naked statue where we bought bottle water and chocolates.

We visited the Viking Line terminal, “Katajanokka” (for our day trip from Helsinki to Tallinn for the following day) by Tram NO. 4 (got on at the corner stop down Unioninkatu Street with Senate Sq. on our right). We did ask the driver for our stop.
Hotel was helpful, sent us a link for Tram timetable http://www.hsl.fi/ via email few weeks before our trip.
With only a day bag and nice sunny weather, on our return journey, we walked back to the hotel (about 15 - 20 minute walk by the West harbor) which was lovely. We spotted loads of people walking along the harbor on the night we got back from Tallinn to Helsinki and we did the same.

Will definitely recommend this hotel!
Many thanks to the travelers who helped us to pick this hotel.

Room Tip: A quiet room & high floor.
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed April 14, 2013

After traveling a couple of days per year to Helsinki I have finally found my home away from home. Hotel Haven is located a few steps from Esplanaden central Helsinki, with a lot of good restaurants and nice sights within walking distance. If you only have a couple of days in Helsinki and you would like to make good use of these then Hotel Haven is an excellent choice.

1 Thank Journeyma
Espoo, Finland
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Hotel Haven is nicely located, near the centre but at the same time a bit away from the noisiest parts of the city. Rooms are beautiful and stylish as the rest of the hotel. There is an attractive bar in the lobby where you can relax by the fireplace and have a nice glass of wine.

However, what made the experience for us was the uttermost perfect service. Our requests were handled with a very friendly and service-minded attitude by the front desk personnel.

We found the absolutely best hotel in Helsinki and really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Aukusti
Vantaa, Finland
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This hotel is very well situated in Helsinki. The whole city centre is within walkingdistance. Rooms are cosy and with touch of luxury (beds are exellent!) and bathroom is spa-style. Finally there was a bathtub long enough for me! All and all great rooms.
Staff is exellent and all our needs were taken care of wery well. Lobbybar is also very comfortable and with exellent service ( top selcetion of whiskeys!)
Breakfast is also top of the line. A tip for breakfast: don´t stay in the first room, go up the stairs and right you´ll find more rooms with a wiew to sea and marketplace.
We highly recommend this lovely hotel!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple