WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hotel Haven

Hotel Haven
Ranked #7 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Turku, Finland
“Missing (hand held) bidet (shower)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Fine hotel, but for maintaining a good hygiene level a bidet or a hand-held bidet shower would be needed. The bath tub is too awkward for that. I asked the desk staff, and found out that all the rooms miss a bidet shower.

And another thing. The restaurant is closed on Sundays, as are very many restaurants in Finland, because the pay is double on Sundays. But there ARE good hotels that keep their restaurants open also on Sundays...

When the weather is cold, I wonder whether you shoul put on your coat when going across the yard to the restaurant to have your breakfast...

All in all, a very recommendable hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Finnish first
Lima, Peru
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Haven for 3 nights and found a pleasant atmosphere as soon as we entered. Staff at the Reception desk was helpful and attentive. Our room was very comfortable, well furnished and noise free.The hotel has a very pleasant bar but they are extremely slow in serving if you ask for something to eat from the kitchen. The hotel location is very good, walking distance from the Esplanade, Design District and restaurants. Helsinki was surprisingly vivid and not isolated as we imagined. We were particularly interested in visiting Alvar Aalto´s buildings and spent a great time doing so. But we had and inconvenience that couldn´t be solved at the hotel: we were given our password to use the wi-fi and it worked for just a few hours. We complained at the Front Desk and asked for the location of the Business Center in order to use the hotel´s computers. Surprisingly, one of the girls pointed a laptop sitting in a small table right next to the counter and said that that was all they could offer. Unbelievable ! In order for us to read our emails we had to carry our iPad with us all day and search for a public wi-fi signal called Angry Birds. The problem was never solved but, overall, I recommend staying at the Haven.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dieppe, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have just returned from a business trip to Finland. While in Helsinki I stayed 4 days at the Hotel Haven. Although, I was generally satisfied with the room, the front desk personnel and the location of the hotel, I was very disappointed with the manner that management dealt with an incident while I was there. On my first full day at the hotel, a Sunday, the weather was rainy and I decided in the afternoon to stay in the hotel room and do some work. At that time my coat was hung in the coat closet with my wallet in the inside zipped pocket. I had at that time about 150 euros and an some canadian dollars in the wallet. At two o'clock my room at still not been cleaned, but I heard the cleaning personnel in the hallway. In order not to interfere with their work I decided to go down to the lobby for an hour and let them clean the room. When I returned an hour latter, I resumed my work until 6:00 pm when I decided to go for supper. I then opened the closet to retrieve my coat, opened the inside zipper pocket to check my wallet and to my surprise realized that all the money had been taken. The rest was intact. I reported the incident to the front desk and they stated that the manager would be in on Monday and that she or he would contact me. Management never contacted me. Instead they left an envelope in my room stating that they had talked with the cleaning personnel and that they had said that they had not taken the money. Being a lawyer and having travelled extensively in the last 30 years, I did not expect them to admit to having taken the money and accept the full responsibility of having left the money in my waller in what I considered a respectful hotel. I would have expected though, that management would have been more professional in the way they dealt with this incident. I would have expected them at least to speak with me to get my version of what happen. They did not. The rest of my stay at that hotel was very unpleasant. Every time I left the room, I was uneasy. I had other valuable object which unfortunately could not fit in the small save and which I would hide in my suitcase. A little more consideration from management would have been certainly appreciated, but I guess its to much to ask at Hotel Haven.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank veromari
HotelHaven, Manager at Hotel Haven, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear "veromari",

I am sad to hear about your disappointment with our hotel management.
We, at Hotel Haven, take this kind of matters very seriously and I personally investigated the matter about the missing money.
You informed our front desk about the missing money on Sunday afternoon and I immediately was informed about the situation. We decided to investigate the matter properly on Monday morning when Housekeeping staff and management was available for hearing.
We have an advanced RFID lock system that records all entries to our hotel rooms. Your floor housekeeper was the only one, except of you, who had entered the room during your stay.
Together with our Housekeeping manager we interviewed the housekeeper who informed us that she was the one cleaning your room but had not touched any coat or money. This member of staff has been working with us for a long time and has always been reliable.
After this I tried to reach you to discuss the matter but with no success. Therefore we decided to send you a letter explaining what we had done. I left a note in the letter asking you to contact me directly, in case you wanted to further discuss the matter. You never contacted me or any of our management about this matter and as you did not mention it anymore while dealing with our duty managers we interpreted the case was closed.

Should you wish to discuss this case in person with me, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at Hotel Haven.

Kind regards,

Janne Ant-Wuorinen
Hotel Manager, Hotel Haven
Castle Douglas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a week in August 2012, and it was one of the most enjoyable stays I've had in a hotel. At check-in it was noted that we were staying for a week, and we were allocated a lovely room with a magnificent view of the harbour. The staff were truly exceptional. Nothing was too much trouble for them. They even stored our luggage when we went to St Petersburg for a weekend, and they advised us on restaurants, ordered opera tickets for us and arranged a day trip to Tallin.

My one observation was that the breakfast choices were limited when staying for a week, but that was a very minor point.

I recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a stylish, convenient and comfortable stay in Helsinki.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbour view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LesleyCastleDouglas
Whakatane, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

This is a beautifully appointed property centrally situated in downtown Helsinki beside the harbour.

Service was impeccable with all staff speaking excellent English. When we enquired about the logistics of a day trip to Tallin everything was clearly explained to us and bookings then made for us.

Our only criticism would be regarding access to the hotel reception which involves steps no matter what way you go.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank litigate
Gourmetsnob
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

Despite having bed bugs we had to pay for a second night with no ac and the engineer was off. The outside temperature was 55 but we could not open the windows..
They offered the sauna to kill the bedbugs and a free breakfast.

• Stayed June 2012
6 Thank Gourmetsnob
HotelHaven, Manager at Hotel Haven, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Gourmetsnob,

I am sad to hear about your very unfortunate incident with bedbugs at Hotel Haven.

Bedbugs are a difficult problem worldwide as they can travel in peoples clothes or suitcases. Therefore it is very important for hotels to take the right precautions and have professional pest infect companies as partners.

Hotel Haven have partnered with Rentokil Finland who performs regular inspections at our property and this incident was the first time we have encountered bedbugs.

You informed our front desk about the problem and our staff then immediately took further actions. After your departure we sealed the room, as we have been trained, and contacted Rentokil Finland who then came to the hotel to assess the problem and proceed with treatment.

Rentokil Finland uses Entotherm heat treatment which is a chemical-free method of pest control which can eliminate pest insects such as bed bugs, through the targeted application of heat. It's a quick and effective treatment that reaches all areas of an infestation without causing structural damage.

After this treatment the room was checked three times by Rentokil during two weeks time with results showing no insect being found in the room.

To secure our hotel being completely free from bedbugs we also performed a complete inspection on each hotel room at Hotel Haven and did not encounter any other infestations.

After your departure we refunded your accommodations costs and you returned to stay with us a week later. This stay with a dinner we also offered complimentary and even took your luggage to a sauna to be sure that no more possible bedbugs would be alive.

I truly wish that you understand how sorry we are to see this happened and have taken all possible means to eliminate these kind of incidents.

I hope one day you will return to Helsinki and stay with us at Hotel Haven again.

Kind regards,

Janne Ant-Wuorinen
Hotel Manager
Tallinn, Estonia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

Stayed in Haven last week. Beautiful hotel, nicely appointed, clean and very well located in downtown Helsinki. For around 169 EUR/night including breakfast for 2, it is not the cheapest hotel in Helsinki, but if you're used to travel high-end, there are not many options in Helsinki and this hotel fits the bill nicely and will not disappoint. They have a spa, but we did not visit.

It's very good value, especially if you get an advance purchase rate, and will definitely return next time we're in Helsinki.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple