“Bad experience will always leave a bad taste”

Ravintola Zinnkeller
Ranked #236 of 1,638 Restaurants in Helsinki
Cuisines: German, Brew Pub
Dining options: Buffet, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vironniemi
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We were in a group of about 55 people with reservations and therefore the meal bill was handled by the tour guide. We were rushed in, seated, served hastily, and rushed out. I cannot remember the meal because of what occurred. Our alcoholic beverages were billed separately. The last of our group to leave the restaurant was not only detained, but denied passage until she paid for a drink allegedly not paid by another at our table. We were unaware of this until the group met the next day, but there is a receipt for the drink having been paid. This is inexcusable. Basically it is illegal detention, robbery, and theft. Call it lie, cheat and steal.

1  Thank BackPacker2008

Reviewed July 12, 2012

not a game meat lover but we had reindeer with mashed potatoes, tasted alright to me but my friends loved it, good and friendly staffs!

1  Thank Jacqueline A
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Plus points:
1. Our party of nineteen people bombarded the hapless, male waiter with our salad, main course, and wine orders. Yet, he delivered them correctly and with finesse.
2. I was very impressed with the super tender-y meat of the pork knuckle which I ordered, assuming that I can't go wrong with a German dish like this at this German restaurant. I was so glad I ordered that instead of salmon. My colleague had salmon which looked ordinary and so un-German.
3. I had a glass of red wine and it tasted divine.
4. Our unusually big and noisy group occupied a corner room in the basement all to ourselves so the privacy was much appreciated.

I was not sure how much our 3-course meal had cost (company's expense) and I had to refer to the restaurant's website for reference. Much apologies!

The only negative point was that our table was not served any bread and my colleague had to eat her rather-salty herring salad without bread. Poor girl!

Reviewed April 7, 2012

I have been here a couple of times and enjoyed the food and the German beer. One highlight was the German waiter recommending another - Russian - restaurant.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

Party of 4 persons visited Zinnkeller last saturday. Our luck that restaurant was not fullybooked as most of the restaurants that evening. Beer list is good all major brands from Gergany available. Sadly cooling unit was malfunctioning so pils was a bit too warm. But we find out that Weiss Bier was gold in the bottles so no big problems. Food was good and plentiful. I was really satisfied for Winerschitsel Gordon Bleu even it was made from pork meat that I don't like so much. I trusted the lovely lady waiter and it was really juicy and tasty !