“Good food, nice atmosphere”
Review of Ravintola Kuu

Ravintola Kuu
Ranked #6 of 1,628 Restaurants in Helsinki
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Taka-Töölö
Reviewed July 5, 2013

The restaurant is a bit off the main touristic spots. Seen from outside it seems a standard restaurant, but once you are inside you will find a very warm and friendly atmosphere.
Food is very good, price - though expensive in comparison with other european big cities - is reasonable for Helsinki and for the quality - they also offer three menus with prices around 48-50 euros.
The staff is extremely friendly.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I visited here with my girlfriend for an 'anniversary' dinner and it turned out to be a good choice. The waiter knew it was a special occasion and treated us perfectly - gave us plenty of space but was always at the table at the right time.

The food really was delicious - nothing too fancy but everything was cooked to perfection and with great flavours. I've been twice now, and the fillet of reindeer comes highly recommended as does the fish platter for starters. It's not the cheapest place by any means, but in terms of value for money it ranks pretty highly compared to other Helsinki restaurants.

The only minor criticism would be the decor, which looks a bit tired now and due an update. But all in all, we left very happy (and very full too).

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Monday dinner is a bit of a challenge if one is looking for a quality meal in central Helsinki. After some research on TA, I found Ravintola Kuu and made a reservation through their website. Communication was prompt and friendly.

We had a little trouble finding the restaurant at first. Other reviewers had described it as being behind the Crowne Plaza Hotel. From the main street (where the tram runs), the hotel's side entrance is on the SAME street as the restaurant. The restaurant address on Toolonkatu is a small street NOT visible from the main street where the tram runs. Just locate the hotel on the main street, walk down the small street on its right side, look for the red awning and you will find Kuu with ease.

One of us had the Helsinki Menu and the other, the Kuu Menu. The latter includes upscale renditions of traditional dishes like house-smoked salmon cream soup with dill (I wanted to lick the plate) and reindeer filet (perfectly cooked medium rare). The bread basket was generously offered several times and the friendly servers happily introduced a special sticky malt-based brown bread nicknamed "Archipelago bread" (Saaristolaisleipä). The waitress even wrote it on a piece of paper for me when I expressed interest and I was able to find it at the airport gourmet market.

My son giggled at the strawberry champagne sorbet with the Baileys cream (he's 14 yo). My milk chocolate creme brulee was very nice although I'm not a fan of milk chocolate.

2  Thank Gigis_mum
Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

It is a nice restaurant just behind the Crowne Plaza. They serve excellent finish typical food, including the famous reindeer steak and a delicious smoked salmon with hering. They have good wine offers at reasonable prices. Compared to other restaurants in Helsinki this offer very good food, nice ambience, I see many guests that looks like neighbors, and is very convenient located for those attending events in the Finlandia Hall.

1  Thank darwinsail
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Yes, the restaurant is nice, service friendly and food is ok.

But I really do not like that we needed to wait almost 30min for simple starter and 40min for the main course -> at that point it didnt really matter what was served. I mentioned the waiting time once to the waitress and the response was that there is big group inside - but such a issue is no suprise for the staff, so it is fair to tell to customers upon arrival if it is causing longer waiting time (we were sitting outside). Also couple next to us arrived 15 mins later but got all food earlier.

Didnt feel well served at all, waitress seem to avoid the topic instead of being sorry about that -> not professional approach. I wanted to mention about it second time when paying the bill but will do it here instead.

Will not return.