“I liked the view”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Espoo
Oulu, Finland
“I liked the view”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Although I would suggest staying away from Tapiola altogether (as there's not much there), I enjoyed my stay at Original Sokos Hotel Tapiola Garden. The service I received was friendly (by Finnish standards), the room was nice and the view over the watery pools behind the hotel quite refreshing (though I think you need to pick the highest priced room for the view).

Currently staying here for the second night on a business trip, I've had no problems with anything other than my keycard stopping to function (can't keep it in your wallet or near a cell phone). Quick replacement was made at reception.

The breakfast wasn't great, but the wifi works well and the beds are comfortable. The tv in my room turns on automatically if the remote control is placed anywhere other than on top of the tv, but it's not a big deal.

My colleagues had some problems, though, as their booking was cancelled by the hotel's reservation system for some reason, and they told me the service wasn't very friendly at all after that.

But still, you've got a balcony and a room with a view. Or a view of the bus stops, should you choose to save on the rate.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Reception_Tapiola, Front Office Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Tapiola Garden, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I am glad to hear you had a good stay and enjoyed the view. I am sorry to hear about your colleague's experience. Unfortunately unexplained computer error had cancelled his booking.

We tried to help him and in the end accommodation and taxi was paid for him but clearly how the situation and service was handled left room for improvement. For that I am truly sorry and we will be discussing within the team how to improve the service in challenging situations.

Should you book a room with us in the future please contact me directly so that we can somehow compensate you as well.

We hope to see you soon and wish you relaxing and sunny summer!

hanna.pelkonen@sok.fi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2014

The Tapiola Garden is a relatively basic hotel situated about 15 minutes' drive from Helsinki centre. Espoo is the "tech" part of Helsinki with many IT companies being based here.
So it was that I found myself booked in the Tapiola Garden, which had been recommended to me by the IT company I was doing some work for.
The first thing that I discovered was the friendly nature of all of the staff members, from the reception staff, restaurant servers and even the cleaners. Everyone seemed happy to be doing their job and greeted people if they thought it would be accepted.
The rooms are pretty basic but this just reflects the standard of the hotel (I would grade it as 2-star rooms with 4-star staff and 3-star food).
While staying here for the first time in a few weeks, they were hosting a Jazz extravaganza - nice to have good, live music for free. It looks as though they do get involved with local projects all-year-round. I think that's a nice attitude for a hotel to have.
On the down side - The beds are not as comfortable as I would like and the room does not have tea/coffee making facilities, though it did have a reasonable mini-bar.
The hotel is a short walk from several stores and town-centre restaurants and there is a bus depot right outside the hotel.
Bikes can be hired from the hotel to cycle along the many cycle-tracks that wind their way through forested areas and near the lake sides. In the summer, i would imagine this would be very popular with guests.
All in all, a good and friendly business hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
hotelmng, General Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Tapiola Garden, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

thank you for visiting Original Sokos Hotel Tapiola Garden. I am happy to read that the service was friendly and you enjoyed your stay. Some information for the next booking; superior rooms have tea and coffee making facilities.

Every year the hotel is taking part of April Jazz -festival and the hotel is filled with music and jazz friends. Next April it will be the 29th time.

We hope to see you soon again.

Kind regards,
Kati Jousimies, General Manager
Helsinki
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I stayed one night in this hotel and it was very pleasant stay indeed. Arriving to the hotel was good; there was very good parking hall just next to the hotel and check in was quick (thanks to staff). Room was nicely decorated and clean. Sleeping quality (noises and bed) was good. Breakfast was tasty basic continental breakfast. Check out was also quick and friendly.
I have to also recommend the restaurant on the first floor. Food was very good.
I would visit this hotel also next time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank randomherohimself
Reception_Tapiola, Front Office Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Tapiola Garden, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Dear Guest,

We appreciate and value customer feedback. It helps us to improve our service to be even better. So thank you very much for your kind and honest review!

We look forward to seeing you back soon!

020 1234 616
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed April 6, 2014

What a nice surprise for a SOKOS hotel. Very good quality straight through.
Reception is nice and the hotel building and interior looks good and modern.
Rooms are great, you sleep good on the beds and the minibar is loaded as a Sokos minibar should be.
The personell in the reception is tri-lingual which is a great plus. Friendly and helpful as well.
They asked me how they stay was and really not pushing in the morning either though it is sometimes quite stressful for them in a short time.
Outside the hotel it is a nice view with green field areas and in the winter they have some kind of iced racetrack.
The parking if you come with wheels is located around 50 meters away from the entrance in a underground garage. Little expensive but worth it.
The hotel is located in the western part of the metro Helsinki area, somewhat far away from the airport and also central Helsinki so if you need to quickly get out of their in the morning it is not the right place.
But if you are in the western part for business and have wheels this is the perfect place.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Reception_Tapiola, Front Office Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Tapiola Garden, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your thorough and lovely feedback! I am really pleased to hear you enjoyed your time with us and we gladly accept to be on the 1st place of Sokos Hotels!
The team here are very eager to try to make everyone's stay really special, so they will be delighted with your feedback.
I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Good equipped rooms, nice room decoration and facilities, tasty food in Grill It restaurant (you must eat finnish fillet steak :). I recommend this hotel for business travellers. Espoo and Helsinki are very nice.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
hotelmng, General Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Tapiola Garden, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

thank you for visiting Original Sokos Hotel Tapiola Garden. I am glad to hear that you also enjoyded our new restaurant Grill It. In a month we will have a beautiful renewed terrace on a pool side.

We hope to see soon again.

Kind regards,
Kati Jousimies
Kuopio, Finland
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I needed a place to stay in Espoo area and picked Tapiola Garden since the price was acceptable. Parking was free for the first night it was located in a warm carage in front of the hotel. Nice.

Check-in was friendly and effective, we were told about the restaurant opening times since we arrived quite late. Too late to check the sauna department, unfortunately. Left the gear in my room which was clean and spacious - nothing fancy but anyway.

Grill It was a good experience. We had a burger which was served with fries that were bit too salty to my liking. Friendly service and gold beer. Had another one in the lobby bar afterwards. Whole reception /bar area is spacious and somewhat freshly decorated.

Sleep quality was good. Comfy bed and couple of different size pillows to choose fr om.

Breakfast was good quality and served in Grilli It restaurant. That worked well.

I will be travelling to Espoo in the near future. After this experience I am certain that I will book my next stay to Sokos Hotel tapiola Garden too.

I will reserve the fifth star till I get time to see the sauna:-)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Reception_Tapiola, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Tapiola Garden, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your review!
I am glad to hear that you had such a good time with us.
We hope that you'll come to visit us again and have a possibility to try our Sauna and pool!

Kind Regards,
Marjut Söderlund
Hotel Manager
Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

I liked very much this hotel. Breakfast was good and room was clean. salad on restaurant was delicious and other meals looked good too. Parking was very nice warm place which is great in Finland winter. Gym was small. That's all negative aspect that I have on this hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Reception_Tapiola, Front Office Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Tapiola Garden, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback!
We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and had time to try the restaurant and exercise room. And yes, the new under ground parking hall is great!
We hope to see you back soon!

Original Sokos Hotel Tapiola Garden
Also consider these accommodations in or near Espoo
GLO Hotel Sello
#2 of 12 in Espoo
Vironniemi
Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna
Kampinmalmi
Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti
Hotel Korpilampi
#3 of 12 in Espoo

Been to Original Sokos Hotel Tapiola Garden? Share your experiences!