“Easy-going familyhotel”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Espoo
Esbo
“Easy-going familyhotel”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

After complete refurbishment of the hotel premises some years ago, the hotel is now in perfect shape for family travellers. Service good, the outside summer pool was great for the children and the area is peaceful. About the only good restaurant of Espoo is located in the hotel. Morning jog around Tapiola and all the way to seaside was great (dont need to run in the streets). Very good hotel, will stay there again. (note It takes some 20 min with a bus/car to Helsinki center)

• Stayed July 2012
Hanna P, Front Office Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Tapiola Garden, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely feedback! I am pleased to hear you and your family enjoyed your visit! It is so true, Tapiola is peaceful yet close to Helsinki city centre. I am happy to hear you found jogging routes as nature in Espoo is something not to miss!

We look forward to welcoming you back at Sokos Hotel Tapiola Garden!

Service Manager / Reception
020 1234 616

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 17, 2012

A good choice in many respects (functional rooms, cleanliness, overall quality, service offering, location, etc) but it is the staff that really makes the difference. Friendly and professional, they make you feel at home.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hanna P, Front Office Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Tapiola Garden, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your lovely feedback! I am pleased to hear our staff continue to do their job very well and that you were impressed with us. Thank you!
We hope to see you soon and have a lovely rest of the Autumn!

Receptions
Droitwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2012

faciltities are very good at this hotel, breakfast and dinner are excellent.
only down side is that outside of hotel major construction work is going on, which means the hotel shakes every so often!! also the car park is closed, i used taxi's so cannot comment on other arrangements. taxi's arrive along cycle / footpath so is a bit concerting when you first turn off the road!

Room Tip: ask for a lake view room when booking, as they are not always available when you arrive.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback! It is true we do have a little bit different route to get to the hotel at the moment. This is only temporary as Tapiola Development is well on time and soon we will have better and wider selection of services nearby the hotel. We hope to see you soon and have a lovely rest of the Autumn!
Thank you!
020 1234 616
Liverpool
Reviewed September 8, 2012

As a regular business traveller, I found this hotel very disappointing, especially since the cost was at the high end of my normal hotel costs. So where do I begin? Given that my company was paying the bill, I emailed the hotel in advance, with a view to discovering if a shuttle bus was available. The reply stated that it was better to take a taxi from the airport……and quoted 29Euros. It turned out to be almost 50 Euros. I was horrified, on arrival, to discover that my room was facing a huge construction site, with the whole hotel bursting into oscillation at 0700hrs every morning (rock drill commencing operation?). Even worse was the smell of burning bitumen – or some other organic product. OK I was awake and dressed, but why should guests – who presumably pay the same rates as guests in the other half of the hotel - have to put up with this? The local council should have adopted a sympathetic attitude once this underground complex was announced and compensated the hotel – and this should have been passed on to the unlucky guests like me.

Then there was the restaurant. How can it be in 2012 that restaurants cannot cater for vegetarians? Yes, there were (tiny) starters, but I counted just TWO main vegetarian courses: omelette and rice risottos. I asked one of the waiters about this and expected a helpful suggestion, but instead received a response that I interpreted as an oral shrug of the shoulders. There were several salad-based dishes that included chicken and prawns. Why couldn’t one of these have been modified to accommodate my request? All the other waiters/waitresses were exceptionally pleasant, but I did suspect that comments such as: ‘did you enjoy your meal’ were certainly not spontaneous – or genuine.

On departure, I discovered that a bottle of mineral water had been added to my bill when I never use in-house bars when staying at a hotel . I must be fair and say that the receptionist removed this immediately, but how did such a thing happen?

The breakfast was extremely good value and the internet was very reliable; shower was tiny and one of the smallest that I have ever used. Shower gel was good and didn’t turn one’s hair into a haystack after drying. Attention to energy and environmental issues appeared to be first-class. One other mystery: where were the drawers or places to locate cases/bags? Not a big problem for me because I always travel light, but the room wasn’t the most functional for such a high charge out rate. There was a third 'camp bed' in my room on arrival and this vanished after 3 days. Air con was too noisy to leave on overnight and not particularly efficient, so had to sleep with my legs sticking out of the duvet.

Would I stay again? Probably not, because the service offered doesn’t justify the price. I visit the South of France on business trips once every three weeks and stay in a hotel for just 115Euros/night (including breakfast) and, quite frankly, receive much better service.

Room Tip: Don't secure a room overlooking a construction site
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hanna P, Front Office Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Tapiola Garden, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. It was very detailed and informative therefore it is helping us to improve our products and service. All your comments are being looked at and are "work in progress".

We hope to see you back at our hotel and we would like to prove you that we can do a lot better on your next visit.

Have a lovley Autumn!

Turku, Finland
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Stayed 2 nights at Tapiola Garden. Rooms are comfortable and we enjoyed the balcony a lot as it was summer. Although I have to say, that somebody did not have a good eye for the situation as we had a large group; all teenagers were put in the swimming pool view rooms, and all adults to the construction site side of the building. I would have done it the other way round, as it is naturally the adults who are paying and therefore should receive "better" rooms. But; there was nothing wrong with our room; beds were extra comfortable, airconditioning was working well, bathroom was spacious enough and once the construction is over, there should not be anything to complain about the view either.

Breakfast was excellent with normal Finnish standard food variety. We had one dinner at Sevilla restaurant downstairs, and faced a few issues (like waiting for a table for 30 minutes although we had a reservation, as well as waiting to get service, and the check). I did not understand this, as it seemed to me that there was plenty of staff on duty. Maybe it is just a management issue.

Parking is a bit of an hassle with the construction site, that is to say; at the moment.. There are 10 free places in front of the hotel, those cannot be prebooked, so it is first come first serve basis. We managed to parkour car there during our 3 days almost every time we returned from our trips back to the hotel.

I will gladly return to this hotel and would recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the pool side to get better view. 2nd floor rooms have larger balconies than on th...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Reino K, Front Office Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Tapiola Garden, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us!

In regards to the bedrooms I am happy you found it comfortable and functional. About the allocation of the rooms, we do not actually know the ages of guests who travel in groups. In future please let us know and we will do our best to accommodate your wishes.

Yes, parking is limited at the moment but once the Tapiola Development Plan is finished we will have plenty parking and new facilities! Meanwhile Kaupinkallio parking hall is short walk away and offers parking for 7€ / exit.

I am sorry to hear about the long wait in the Restaurant. It had been a busy night but this does not excuse the long wait and slow service. We always try to minimise any negative impact on customer service. We will have a discussion and look into the matter with Restaurant Manager and once again I am sorry for the wait.

We look forward to welcoming you again to Sokos Hotel Tapiola Garden.
Have a lovely summer!

Lappeenranta, Southern Finland, Finland
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We had two nights on this Hotel with my friends. The staff was very nice and friendly. Hotel restaurant offers good food. The rooms were cosy and looked pretty new. It's 10-15min drive to Helsinki city center by bus. Very good, I recommend.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback! I am pleased to know you had a good stay with us. Thank you for the comments about staff. My staff will be happy to hear they have been mentioned!

In regards to the rooms, the refurbishment finished in 2008. I am very pleased to hear they still look fresh and new! We are proud of our moderns, scandinavian styled rooms.

Enjoy your summer!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Sokos Hote Tapiola Garden!

Naantali, Finland
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We looked for a "budget" hotel for a family of 4 and found this. Modern interior, classy restaurant, a very nice place with beatiful architecture around hotel and above all, fantastic service from personnel! We had to leave to airport before breakfast was served so they let us eat from available selection of sandwiches, fruits, juices, coffee and before leaving they gave our kids ice-creams. Just perfect.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time and effort taken to write the review! I am pleased to read the comments about our staff. We are proud of our staff and friendly service. It is very rewarding to get nice feedback.

Enjoy the summer and we look forward to welcoming you back to Sokos Hotel Tapiola Garden!

Reception
Also consider these accommodations in or near Espoo
GLO Hotel Sello
#2 of 12 in Espoo
Vironniemi
Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna
Kampinmalmi
Original Sokos Hotel Presidentti

Been to Original Sokos Hotel Tapiola Garden? Share your experiences!