“Poor price-quality ratio in Espoo”
Review of Scandic Espoo

Scandic Espoo
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Espoo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Unfortunately the worst Scandic experience so far. When booking a superior room you could expect at least for normal size double bed instead of 140 cm one. As well you could expect the block heater for your car to be included in the price when paying more than 150 euros per night. Neither was the restaurant nor the staff at their best.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Essi M
Manager E, Front Office Manager at Scandic Espoo, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Dear Essi M,

I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay.
Like in most of the hotels in Finland, in Scandic Espoo the rates determine by availability.
If the hotel is full the rates are higher and if not the rates are lower.
In Scandic Espoo the Superior extra rooms are better equipped.
Our Superior extra room size is the same as the standrard room. The difference is, that in Superior extra rooms you find larger range of TV channels, larger 40" tv, bathrobes, slippers, 5 different FACE Stpockholm products, 5€ welcome voucher, etc.
The difference in rate is max 20€.
I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy the superior extra room.

The parking in Scandic Espoo is free of charge. In the Helsinki area, there is only few hotels that provide free parking. We believe the free parking is a good service to our customers, who very often come to us by car.
The electricity at the parking area is 5€/stay. When the parking is free of charge we believe that the small fee for using black heater in our parking area is reasonable.

I thank you for your valuable feedback.
We will go thru your feedback in our management team and will make all the necessary improvements, based on your feedback.
I wish you a warm and beautifull Christmas time and hope we meet you again at Scandic Espoo.
Otto
FOM

Reviewed September 10, 2013

The only good thing about the hotel is that it's part of Scandic and you have some benefits with the frequent guest program. But the reception service in the hotel is poor, the gym facility is poor and the breakfast is terrible. There are not many alternatives in the area of Espoo, though next time I'm staying in Espoo I will probably find a different place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Manager E, Manager at Scandic Espoo, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Rudy V,

I am very sorry to hear you had a bad experience as a guest of Scandic Espoo.
All the feedbacks help us to improve our service and our product. It would be highly appreciated if you ould provide us some details, what was wrong and how so we can be sure we do not make same kind of mistakes in the future.
These details can be sent via e-mail to espoo@scandichotels.com.
I would like to apologize the bad service you suffered during your stay.
I wish you a warm Autumn and hope we can stilla have You back to Scandic Espoo.
Otto Puranen
Front Office Manager

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We were using our soon expiring Scandic points for a reward stay. The hotel is large and the desk staff is very friendly and helpful. Our room was on the small side of average but, oh so importantly, it was cool and comfortable. We were pleased to get the restaurant vouchers in spite of having a free stay. There did not seem to be many options for dinner in the area so we stayed at the hotel to eat. The restaurant - service, selection, and food - was mediocre. I splurged on a dessert and my advice is to skip it. The description, which sounded awesome, did not match the product and it was very costly for the quantity and flavor. Breakfast the next morning was ok, but not as comprehensive as we are used to having at the Scandic chain.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager E, Manager at Scandic Espoo, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear solomon5,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you took time to write a review of us.

I am pleased to hear that you experienced our front desk staff positively. Our goal is to provide the best service to all our customers and make all the guest feel that they are among friends. We believe that this feeling gives our customers a memorable experience in Scandic.

The air condition in summer is very important to our guests. This is why we always make sure all the rooms are cool and comfortable.

I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your dessert. During July time we had a curtailed list. Now the list is back to normal and I am sure that there is a dish witch makes your dinner perfect.

Once more thank You for Your valuable feedback. We learn from all the rewievs and work hard to develop our quality. The goal is to be able to provide the bast service to all of our guests staying with us.
I wish you a warm end of Summer and hope we meet again at Scandic Espoo.
Otto
Front Office Manager

Reviewed May 26, 2013

This is not a place for romantic weekends with someone. It's a basic business hotel, motorway on one side and construction site on another side. There is absolutely nothing to see or do outside the hotel. Little hard to get, because of constructions, but
it was nice to see that they have free parking(usually You have to pay 10-30€/night in Helsinki region). Front desk was friendly and room was basic, with small bathroom. I got the room less than 90€, which is a bargain. But one day earlier price woud've been about 140€, which is a robbery. One thing that dropped my rating from 4 to 3 stars, was their restaurant. I took a about 20€ beef brisket, that was supposed to be "over night cooked", but it was like chewing gum and impossible to eat. When I said that to the waitress, she didn't apologize or anything.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Manager E, Front Office Manager at Scandic Espoo, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Dear Ville S,

Thank you for your rewiew.
Scandic Espoo is a hotel for everyone. We are near the busines centres in Espoo, so it is very easy to choose us if your office is at Espoo. We are also near to Helsinki centre if you rather stay little further from the city. We also have a special packages for couples, so if you are intrested of spending a romantic weekend in Scandic Espoo, I am sure we will manage to make your weekend special.
I am glad to hear you venerate the free parking. We beliewe this service is important to many of our guests. That is why we provide this service free.
As in all the hotels now days, the rates in Scandic Espoo are based on the availability.
Normally the rates are lower than in Helsinki area, witch make us more cost-effective choice if you are ready to stay little away from Helsinki centrum.
We are continuously developing the menu in our restaurant. The quality of our food is very important to us and we learn from all the feedbacks we receive.
The good and friendly service is what we believe in Scandic Espoo.
We continuosly train our staff and reflect our work so we could provide the best service to our customers.
I wish you a warm and beautiful summer. Hope we meet again @ Scandic Espoo.
Best Resgards
Otto, Front Office Manager

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Scandic Espoo is a nice hotel, ideal for the business travelers. I come here a few times yearly as it is very convenient for my purposes. Hotel personal is always friendly at this Scandic hotel. Rooms are generally clean.
A plus is certainly the swimming pool and of course the sauna. The swimming pool is not a big one, but at least you can exercise a bit after a long day work.
Food at the restaurant is nice. Although I don't completely understand the concept of the restaurant with it's mix of foods, the food quality has increased over the years and nicely presented. Unfortunately also the food prices. Like in most Scandics you have a small shop at the reception. Food choice is limited, almost forcing you to eat something at the restaurant. Breakfast is good, but rather simple. Scrambled eggs are made from egg powder as in many hotels these days and I always find this a pity.

Room Tip: During winter and heavy snowfall they might clean the parking area during the middle of the night wi...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Manager E, Front Office Manager at Scandic Espoo, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Hello,

Thank you for your review. I am very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at Scandic Espoo.
Friendly service is what we really want our customers to have during their stay with us.
Our mission in Scandic is to give people away from home the feeling of being among friends.
This is what we all think when we meet people at Scandic Espoo.
The cleaning of the hotel is something we fodus on our daily work. We believe that the cleaniness of the hotel is one of the most important parts of our service.
The sauna section with the swimming pool is something we are very proud of.
We want our customers to have a place to recharge and relax, and what is a better way for that than sauna and a swim.
I am glad to hear you also like the quality os our food in our restaurant. Our focus is always in the quality of the food. We want our menu to be wide, so there is something for everyone.
The Scandic Shop in our reception is our way to provide more service to our customers. For example, if you have forgot your tootbrush at home, you find one from Scandic Shop.
In Scandic breakfast there is always minimum of 101 products. We want there to be many produts to meet all differend kind of tastes.

I thank you for your rewiev.
I wish you a warm Spring.
Hopefully we meet again at Scandic Espoo :)

Reviewed March 28, 2013

The hotel is standard Scandic quality, nice and tidy. The rooms were spacious and clean (I had to separate stays and thus two different rooms). Breakfast was tasty with lots of choices.
The sauna and pool area was quite "retro" but still nice. They are in the top floor, so the view was very beautiful.
The location is quite awful. There are highways around with enormous traffic. If you don't have car, like I didn't because I came by plane to Helsinki, going to anywhere is quite difficult. Well, I was in a business trip and had only a short walk to the place where I was going. But besides the sauna and the gym, there wasn't much to do during evening when I had free time. Walking to the shopping centre Sello took about one hour, so it was quite far and I had to walk also one hour back.. ;)

Room Tip: The noise of the traffic is quite loud, so I recommend to get the room in the back side of the hotel...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Manager E, Front Office Manager at Scandic Espoo, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thank you for your review.
I am sorry to hear you had problems with the location.
the hotel is located near to the business areas of Espoo. Best way to get to the hotel is by a car, but the public transportation is an excellent choise as well.
From the airport bus 530 takes you next to the hotel and to Helsinki centre there is busses going in every 15 minutes. Right outside the hotel there is a bus stop where you can take 5 different busses to Sello shopping centre. Walking to shopping centre is a long, because there is no straight walking street to Leppävaara. But bus takes you from the hotel to Sello in 5minutes.
We also have an evening restaurant in the hotel, so one must not go outside to have a good quality dinner. We also have an gym for guest wanting to excercice.
I am very glad to hear you liked our rooms.
The cleaniness is very important thing to us. We focus to improve our work in every day work with feedbacks and self surveillance.

I hope we have you back to Scandic Espoo soon.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Good hotel if you attend a conference and have your own transportation as there is not really much to see around the hotel (unless you like roadworks). Hotel has outside parking only, but several of the spots have sockets for carheaters that turn on at 0500 (bring your own cable).
We contacted the hotel in advance to sort out a few details and got quick and courteous replies in our own language (swedish). The hotel had arranged a buffet style evening meal for our group which was really nice as was the pool area. Some rooms have extra beds that are really fold-out chairs - not recommended for adults.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback. The constructionwork will be finninshed at October 2013. After the work the surrounding areas of the hotel will be more comfortable and easy for our guests.
The parking is something we want our customers to use easilly. The carheating sockets are necessary when the winters are as cold as in Finland. We have learned our guests value this service and therefore it is very important to us.
I am gled to hear you liked the restaurant service and the pool area.
We are very proud of the quality of our restaurant. We have had a excellent feedback of the quality of food. We are changing the menu 3 times a year, to be sure there is always something new in the menu as well.
The pool area is a wonderfull place to spent time and excercise. During the summer the sun is shining straight in to the room whitch makes the swimming even more enjoyable.

I wish you a beautifull and warm Spring. Hope we meet you again in Scandic Espoo.