“Poor claim handling” 2 of 5 bubbles

Amarillo
Ranked #32 of 149 Restaurants in Oulu
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Bar
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Oulu, Finland
“Poor claim handling”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

Visited on a Saturday just after lunchtime and ordered a normal burger. It tasted nothing but black pepper and was quite horrible, As a friend of indian and thai food, I am absolutely used to spicy food and really like it, but this was just a dish that had been spiced incorrectly. When I told the waitress about this, she asked from her boss, who had told the waitress to tell me that there is nothing wrong with my dish and that "not all people share the same taste".
The whole situatuation left a really bad taste of the restaurant. They totally ignored my complaint making me feel I am waste of space for them. If the dish is not eatable (ate less than 20%), they should understand there is really something wrong with it. I was not after a free meal, it is not my style, but they made me fell they thought I was. I am afraid I would not recommend Amarillo, especially not for business purposes as the service was just embarrassing. Luckily this time we were there with family.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

• Finnish first
Tampere, Finland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Totally ignored us”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

It was a Tuesday evening. Nice summery evening. Not even very late when we decided we needed to eat something. Decided to go to Amarillo which was a mistake. First we sat by the window looking at the menu waiting for someone to serve us. We waited and waited. Eventually we asked the bartender if they still serve food and he said sure, on the other side of the restaurant. No one bothered to say anything to us when they saw us looking at the menus on the wrong end. So moved to the "food side" of the place and sat down waiting for a waitress to come. No one came, not even to ask if we wanted something to drink. Another couple came after us and were immediately noticed by the waiting staff. That's when we decided to take our money elsewhere. We got no food.

• Visited August 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Vaguely depressing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

This is a slice of Americana and Tex Mex very, very far from where it belongs. And even further from being done right.

Essentially lots of fried or vaguely unhealthy stuff like chips and chicken wings and ribs, together with big glasses of - to be fair - nice cold beer. If that's what you're after - and I went here with a man who said the chicken wings were delicious - then you will be in heaven. But, and this is the kicker for me, in this place you could be just about anywhere in the world, eating boring food chosen off a plastic menu and prepared with little evident love.

Oulu has much, much better for similar prices that doesn't feel anywhere near as out of place and lacking in soul.

1 Thank Garreth H
Rovaniemi, Finland
“Best amarillo-service I have received.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

You can find amarillo-restaurant all around Finland, but I personally prefer Oulu's amarillo, because of the great service.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Jutta K
North East england
“Uninspiring”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Tex-mex with as much imagination as a caravan site. Only average food, service and ambiance. Think of the energy Mexican food and culture evokes, then find the Amarillo at the opposite end. Part of the Arina hotel next door and seems to share the same mediocre standards.

Visited November 2012