We stayed at the Tropikii for one week with Activities Abroad with our eleven year old son. We did toboganning, snowmobiling, cross country skiiing, snow-shoeing, husky sledding, skiing, reinder farm etc etc. It was great fun and one of the best holidays we have ever had. The hotel facilities are good - tropical swimming pool, ten pin, sports bar, badminton.
The rooms are a bit cramped even though we supposedly had a large room for the three of us.
The hotel and activity staff were excellent and really looked after us well.
The main disappointment was the catering. The food was very average and there was a very restricted choice for the breakfast and evening buffet (when you compare it to say, a Mediterranean holiday hotel or a skiing hotel in France.)...the Finns aren't renowned for their cuisine.
The cafe doesn't open till midday so you've no way of getting any kind of hot drink when you come back from an activity at 10:30 or 11:00. And at lunchtimes the cafe is understaffed and you can wait 10 minutes in the queue.
DON'T underestimate the cold, especially when you are out on a snowmobile or sled! It was -20 degrees C all week. The company gives you a thermal suit, socks, snow boots, balaclava, mittens and mitten liners for the week. Under all this, I suggest you wear the following:
- Top half: thermal top, polo neck, fleece
- Bottom half: thermal pants, fleece tracksuit bottoms
- Hands: Thin liner/wool/cotton gloves, plus ski gloves
- Feet: Three pairs of socks!
And believe it or not....you will still get cold!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tropical Spa Resort Hotel located on the shore of Lake Petajanlami, near the Arctic Circle. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Club Kuusamo Hotel Kuusamo
- Holiday Hotel Kuusamo