“Disapointed”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Kuusamo
Santorini
“Disapointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

The housekeeping wasn't exist, the maid just put the blanket over the pillows, that was all. The staff didn't know what "bathrobe" means. Moreover the lift was out of order, so we have to carry our staff by steps to our rooms, via an outdoor corridor, which was really cold.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank HOTEL S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

My partner and I visited here for Valentines day 2009 and it still remains the best holiday I have ever been on.
Yes, the hotel was good, the service was good and the buffet breakfasts are great. But it was the snow and the experiences we did that made this truly a holiday of a lifetime.
Neither my partner nor I ski so this wasn't a skiing holiday, it was a let's try something new holiday.
So we kitted ourselves with snow wear and off we jetted to freezing Finland in February.
We had hoped to see and photograph the Northern Lights here but alas it wasn't to be, turns out it didn't matter though and it definately didn't dampen our holiday.
On our first night in the Sokos Hotel (which is always warm, so take something light to wear around the hotel including shoes) we went for a wander around the grounds and down the frozen lake. On our way back to the hotel we came across a teepee in the hotel grounds and a strange man outside it gestured for us to come in.
So being, either adventurous or stupid, we went in where we were met with a lovely toasty fire and a woman heating some berry juice over it. We sat on benches covered with reindeer skins (I thought I might be a bit squeamish about the reindeer skins, turns out i wasn't!) and drank hot berry juice in this gorgeous teepee and listened to the 'strange' man (who it turns out was a holiday rep, not ours tho) tell us all about his adventures in Russia before he moved to Finland. That's where his accent came from.
We tried to walk in snow shoes and took a walk on the frozen lake before we headed back for more hot berry juice.
It's that kind of random thing that made this holiday incredible.
For excursions we went on the Ski-doos at night. Honestly my other half thought he was James Bond as he drove me through the forest at night and across frozen lakes in the pitch black at top speed while I screamed behind him and clung on for dear life. Sitting in a beautiful log cabin just minutes from the border with Russie, our our ski-doos parked on a frozen lake made us feel like we were explorers and conquerors.
We also took a days husky dog sledding excursion and I've never been so grateful for reindeer skins as I was that day. Sitting on the sled (I didn't driver, him indoors did all the dog driving) flying through the frozen air by the feet of a several dogs blasts icy cold wind in your face like you've never experienced. The only part of me visible was my eyes. The rest was covered in reindeer skins. So much for being a bit squeamish about them.
Then there was the trip to the arctic circle on our last day. Instead of just hanging around waiting for our early evening departure we booked onto a trip that took us hiking in Oulanka National Park (half is in Finland and half is in Russia) then to the Arctic Circle.
I got some amazing photographs that day and the sight of the sun setting (at around 2pm) behind the Arctic Circle sign is a picture that will live with me forever.
This wasn't just a visit to a hotel for us it was a holiday that changed both me and my boyfriend. We grew as a couple because we couldn't do the excursions we did without a great deal of trust between us. How many of you would trust your other half to drive you in the pitch black on a skii-doo? Or to drive 6 dogs and you on a sled and keep you safe?
I didn't even think about it, I knew he'd keep me safe and that changed our relationship and me for the best (I thought I had trust issues, turns out I don't).
This was a holiday of a lifetime for me and nothing so far has matched it.
If you ever get the chance, go to Finland in freezing February and play in the snow. Throw snowballs, make snow angels, fall down and be unable to get back up with laughter. You won't ever regret it.

PS The Sokos Hotel is a great base for exploring and buses run regularly to the ski slopes of Ruka which we did visit but not to ski, we went to play.

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed good here, but they're very warm thanks to the great heating system.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

me and my boyfriend arrived here late dec 2011-jan 2012 for a skiing holiday-
-location was great,walking distance into the town and regular on time bus services taking you straight to the slopes or where you needed to go.
-cross country tracks out the back of hotel were maintained regular
-food was great, wide range of choice
-it was pretty busy when we went but everyone was located rooms spread out so it was still quiet and peaceful when you needed to chill which was very good.
-staff friendly and helpful.
-we had a basic basic room but it was clean and had everything we neeeded except a kettle but we could easily get hot drinks from downstairs and take them up so it was fine.Other rooms obv had a kettle and sauna provided but we were on a budget, we didnt feel left out as the hotel has a sauna for hotel guests aswell so it was fine.
-lots of trips and safaris which were well organised and equiped,even had 9 sets of people from different countries on one trip and they managed to translate to everyone,was pretty impressive!

overall great time,had lots to do!!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Walt Disney World, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2009

Nice stay ,good hotel pleasant staff and fine food-
My room was very hot but big and comfortable.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank norvegiasara
wirral
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2009

The kids and I stayed here for a week .We loved the hotel people on the whole were warm some can be a bit rude but once you have explained what you need they couldnt do more to help.good location, rooms very clean maids everyday. Word of warning though the hotel has a pool which is very nice but very COLD!.we travelled with crystal the reps were very helpful an being on my own with two kids they really made us feel at home. the excursions were excellent We went on the huskies safari, father christmas cottage ,snowmobile to see northen lights (didnt see them too cloudy) and the reindeer farm.the hotel also had there own organised nights which included toganning.On the whole the holiday was magical and fun .

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank polly46
Reykjavik, Iceland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2008

What's good about this hotel? It's only 5 minutes walk from downtown Kuusamo; there is a pool and a nice sauna; there is free internet in the rooms; breakfast is good.

However, a lot of small things make this hotel very far from being perfect. The staff at the front desk could not give the right answer to the following, not-so-complicated questions: What time is breakfast? What time is dinner? Is dinner buffet style, a la carte or set menu? Is the sauna open right now?

I had a similar experience at the restaurant. Staff did not know what was being served at the buffet table, and they could only give very basic information about the choice of drinks.

Rooms need to be renovated. The lighting panels are very old fashioned, the fridge is loud, the toilets fill up very loudly.

Some part of the hotels (staircases, corridors) are really blank and would need at least some small decoration. Carpets on the corridors also need to be replaced.

Altogether, I feel that the hotel is not well looked after by the management.

• Liked — It's close to Kuusamo city centre
  • Disliked — Staff always gives wrong information about the hotel services
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank bldavid

Travelers are raving about these Kuusamo hotels

manchester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2008

The snow and skiing conditions were fantastic - good enough to convert longterm alp-addicts best ever.
BUT
DO NOT STAY AT THE HOTEL SOKOS
Whilst it is clean with hot water - probably aimed at the business man & locals certainly not english. It really is 45mins from slopes - best for beginners and not too taxing
Possibly one of our worst ever experiences - poor food, not what is advertised - same food for every night, small amounts and no sign of the buffet that is advertised. Made to feel like an incovenience by hotel staff, who were rude and dismissive - one night waited for 45mins for starters - brought dessert by mistake - only two other tables in at that time - crystal rep told us that were not enough clients to warrent buffet - poor value on trips - source them yourselves - also advised by crystal rep to travel to nearest hotel for entertainment except buses didn't run to meet requirements-
STEER CLEARof SOKOS HOTEL & crystal (here anyway)!!!

Stayed February 2008
2 Thank huskies3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuusamo
Cumulus Resort Rukahovi
Ski-Inn RukaTonttu Apartments
Hotel Royal Ruka
Hotel Royal Ruka
#4 of 4 in Rukatunturi

Been to Original Sokos Hotel Kuusamo? Share your experiences!