Location: 8 kms from Rovaniemi, along the Arctic circle
Hotel: Cabins, restaurant, access to Santa Claus etc
Room: Big cozy cabin with kitchenette, dining table, sofa, double bed, sauna
Positives: Good cabin, easy access to Santa Claus activities, free pick-up & drop to airport
Negatives: No entertainment for young couples, hotel restaurant shuts by 9 (others shut at 5pm), internet didn't work in room, no phones in room to even get in touch with reception
I made the mistake of not researching enough before booking the SCHV. The hotel, its rooms and ease of accessibility to the Santa Claus related attractions are great for a family, but given then lack of any entertainment, they aren't so good for couples.
The hotel is located 8km from Rovaniemi city and there are public buses that ply the route, but only until 7pm, after which one has to cab it up. The location of the hotel is strategic because the Arctic Circle passes right through it and therefore makes sense from their perspective. However, there is absolutely no entertainment of any form (except for a tv in our room) for couples or for that matter even for grown up children as all the attractions shut at 5. I saw the same 3 couples sitting in the otherwise empty restaurant from 7 to 9pm (when the restaurant too shuts). The internet never worked in our room over all 3 days and hence couldn't pass time surfing the net.
The cabins were great, each cabin was divided into 2 apartments, so if you are a family seeking 2 rooms, then you can get 1 cabin and leave use the external door, leaving the ones inside open. Each apartment had a kitchen, dining table, a sofa, 2 single beds, a large enough bathroom with a sauna. So if you are here with kids for relaxation, then this village is great. However, breakfast is served in the restaurant adjacent to the main reception and one has to walk a few mins depending on where your cottage is located. The ladies at the reception are very helpful and will drive you to your cottage when you arrive with your luggage (back saver!)
Attractions - this complex has several attractions, primary one being Santa Claus himself, meeting and greeting the bearded linguist is free, but one has to pay €15 for a picture. You can have Santa write a letter to your loved ones for €7. You can also buy loads of Santa & X'mas related souvenirs. Then there's a post office which sends postcards either immediately or on X'mas depending on which box you choose. You can also shop a bit of Finnish designer goods such as Ittala and Marimekko. Then you can head to the information centre, where you can have you passport stamped with 'I crossed the Arctic on xx/xx/xxxx" stamp for less than €1. You can also slide down icey slides and have your picture taken crossing the Arctic Circle. Then there's an Ice World to which you have to pay to enter and a short reindeer ride option.
A whole day is more than enough in this village and I would strongly recommend staying in Rovaniemi and commuting by public transport (Bus #8 from the Railway station and from outside the Information Centre at SCHV). Only stay if they have improved the evening entertainment options or you are with children and want to relax.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel-standard cottage accommodation at the Arctic Circle, heart of Santa Claus Village. Our cabins are all equipped with up-to-date facilities, such as private saunas, bathrooms, kitchenette and terrace. There's no better way to enjoy your stay. From your cabin just a minute or two walk to Santa Claus Main Office. All activities & excursions, such as Reindeer rides, Husky dog sledge rides, snowmobile rides, etc.. available on the village. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Hotwire, Agoda, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Santa Claus Holiday Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Santa Claus Holiday Village Hotel Rovaniemi
- Santa Claus Holiday Village Rovaniemi, Finland - Lapland