Tripadvisor
Rovaniemi
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews frozen lake aurora zone rocking chairs northern lights finnish culture peaceful location aurora experience bed apartment train tour husky safari salmon main building wood fire ice fishing close to nature breakfast and dinner buffet winter clothing
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I wanted to do something different for my wife's 40th birthday - she's a sun worshipper but we've never really done a cold winter holiday so I thought we'd give this a try.
I booked through The Aurora Zone and it was really simple and they kept us informed with everything which was happening - even got a free gift posted to us which turned out to be really useful.
The Apukka Resort is amazing. We stayed in a cabin with a view of the sky. No Northern Lights but still great to lie in bed and be able to see everything going on!
The activities at the resort are amazing and a great experience, especially if you're a novice at that sort of thing. Very safe and lots of fun and the guides are all brilliant and friendly.
I would definitely go again, possibly in the summer time too as I suspect it looks just as beautiful but a lot different. I'd like to see what the lake we walked on is actually like when it's not frozen!
And the food was excellent! Just to top things off!

Date of stay: January 2020
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I would highly recommend Apukka as we stayed in the KOMSIO Suite
One of the amazing experience we had !
The design of the wood on the wall was amazing ! Even my mum on FaceTime saw it and loved it!
The bed needs to be improved it wasn’t comfortable the double bed is not sticks to together, they look like two single beds next to each other!
The bathroom needs to be improved also they didn’t put any kits like a tooth brush, shaving kit etc...
the design of the glass roof oh amazing I also loved the heater for the windows and the roof when ever there was snow we would open it and all the snow melts very good idea but I figured it out on my last night (I wish they would have told us from the beginning) at least print a paper that explains what we have in the room

The hot chocolate was very tasty !!
I even loved how they clean our porch every morning
They brought out luggage with a sled to the room very good so we don’t pull our bags in the snow

The staff were very very friendly loved how they smile and try to help you with every way they can
Love the Resturant staff

Breakfast need more variety for vegetarian people, it was decent.

We went on a finish horse back riding it was a great experience! Loved the horses but there was a crazy horse (black and white) I think they should change him he wasn’t friendly

They also have a bus that cost 12 € per person (round trip) to Santa village

Overall one of our most memorable stay in Finland and we do hope to come back again

1  Thank Farahabdulwahab
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Wonderful remote resort -away from fuss of the Santa Claus town but still less than 20min taxi ride away from the airport . The cabins with glass roofs are outstanding , provide great space , wonderful views. The resort offers many high quality activities such as husky sledging or snow mobile scooting . Warm clothing is included in the activities and we were able to keep it even after the activities for the duration of the stay. On site restaurant serves good a la card and buffet food . Everyone on site was very kind , friendly and made our stay memorable . Highly recommend.

1  Thank 617mirib
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

1. Staff is AWESOME. Salla, Tara, Jenni, Roni, both servers (and a woman, I didn't catch her name, with short hair) - special shout out to private contractors Mia and Timo. 100% made it what it is. The place is beautiful but those people are A M A Z I N G.

2. The location is absolutely breathtaking. It is a winter wonderland fairytale paradise. The photos don't look real. Everywhere you look is unique beauty and the people from there so love their land and are proud to show it off (as they should be).

3. The excursions are well thought out and because they're contracted to people from Lapland you really get to hear about the land with great enthusiasm.

3a. The evening reindeer sled ride was wonderful. Sitting on reindeer hide under a blanket slowly moving through a soft snow covered forest. It was relaxing, romantic, and Mia was so charming. She truly cares so much about her animals and her land sharing stories and history.

And she was very accommodating about my not eating meat. Instead we ate bread cooked over the fire. Very cool.

3b. Evening snowmobiling with Timo rocked. Totally different kind of adventure. Riding through the same forest but seeing it in such a different way. We saw rabbit tracks and stopped in the middle of an open field, turned off the bikes, and just listened to the silence of the forest.

Snowmobiling was hands down our favorite thing. Other than the heated bathroom floors.

3c. Snow train to the huskey and reindeer farm could have been better organized. On the other excursions the hosts dressed us and made sure we would be warm. The host of this one did not do this as thoroughly as we needed, though not really her job. We should have known.

I got so cold I couldn't even try to drive the Huskies.

The reindeer farm was lovely. But the huskey farm smelled of urine etc.

The people who worked at each place were terrific but going from one to the other was your own responsibility. Not a bad thing, just something to note.

4. We tried a wood fired sauna and are in love. I only regret not trying it on the first day so I could have done it more than once. So different than the electric spa saunas. The feel the smell. Jumping in the snow and then going back in. Loved every moment of it.

5. Lodging was spectacular.

5a. The first night we stayed in an ice cabin. What a unique experience. Highly recommend. They give you a polar arctic sleeping bag, extra socks, a body sleeve, reindeer skins, but you wear your own hat. You can even get a reserve cabin. We slept the full night in the ice cabin (and got a great night sleep) but were happy to have the reserve when it came to storing our luggage and brushing our teeth. The cabin even has a tiny heater! We didn't notice it until morning but so cute! Waking up was hard but totally worth it.

5b. We stayed in a Komsio sweet looking out over the frozen lake with a 365 degree view of the sky. It was incredible but the best part about it was that the bathroom had a heated floor. I miss that bathroom. I think about it sometimes.

6. They have a very talented chef. I tried things I have never even heard of and they were delish. The drinks are great, the desserts are magnificent (the little round chocolate ganache cake is something else) and the servers are so friendly.

We did not see the Aurora Borealis but we were so busy and so happy during our stay at Apukka that they would have only been an added bonus.

I would like to learn more about the Lappish way of life, but this was the stay of a lifetime. I cannot imagine not having gone and I truly feel so lucky to have been there. All of the guests were smiling and happy all of the staff was enthusiastic and helpful. My heart is so full after leaving Apukka. I feel like I was part of something.

It is perfect.

1  Thank N9184SNjenniferj
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Excellent igloo with fantastic heating, especially in the bathroom! Can accommodate four people which is great, especially considering the price of the accommodation per night (AUD $ - makes this a very expensive night!) - although on this occasion there were two of us.
The service provided upon arrival and departure was average, the restaurant the same unfortunately (and it was not busy, hardly anyone in there when we were there),
The highlight of course is being in the igloo itself and the scenery - wonderful!
I disagree with the charging for the Aurora Alarm - other hotels I have stayed at in Scandinavia have not charged this..... feels like another money grab and it is expensive enough already.
There needs to be shampoo and conditioner in the bathroom, not just a one soap solution for all purposes.
Was a little difficult walking to our igloo with our luggage as it was very slippery on the night we arrived.
It is a little isolated, which we loved, but can also make it more expensive to get to.

2  Thank SuzeHJ