TripAdvisor
Rovaniemi
All reviews rocking chairs frozen lake northern lights aurora zone finnish culture peaceful location aurora experience bed apartment train tour salmon wood fire ice fishing main building reindeer safari close to nature snow shoes two adults and two children
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was sceptical about how much we would see and be able to drive the skimobile. However, I was very wrong. It was so much fun driving the skimobiles and within minutes we saw the Northern Lights. The guide gave us lots of information too.
We stayed for my 50th and our 30th weddding anniversary. The first night we staying in a wagon on the frozen lake which was magical. Sadly, no lights seen but the tranquility was perfect.

We took part in a number of activities; reindeers sled, snowmobile and huskies.
All were amazing and it didn’t feel like we were just another tourist. We lit al fire and had hot chocolate and a freshly cooked sausages and bread over the fire.

We were fortunate to see the lights twice which was amazing and we have some good photos too!

Overall, this was a wonderful experience that has ticket of a major item on my bucket list - and added a few that I didn’t know I wanted to do; ticked those off too!

Date of stay: January 2020
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Louise T
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We did the Aroura Hunt on a snow train....sadly we didn't see the northern lights as it was snowing, however we still had a great time. Our guide was excellent, she provided us with lots of interesting facts about Lapland, northern lights, arctic circle. We made a fire in a traditional teepee and had hot drinks and snacks. The snowctrain was heated and fully enclosed so was perfect as we have an 8 y/o daughter.
Would higly recommend this tour. Great for families. Only slight negative the seating in the snow train is a little tight...not alot of leg room. Otherwise, excellent!!!!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I visited finland with a child with a disability and the country is not welcoming of these children. It is very expensive this activity cost €362, i booked it in the morning of the same day, she got sick and i cancelled 5 hours later, to be charged in full with no refund, I explained my circumstances but the refund was refused. Go somewhere else for the northern lights and give this country a skip

1  Thank 565aideenk
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We arrived after dark to the hotel. Check-in was fast, the lodge was decorated and cozy, and the paths to the igloos were clear making it easy to walk. We only stayed 1 night and unfortunately did not have a chance to view the Northern Lights - it was abnormally warm for when we were visiting which was a bummer! It would have been a great view from the room if it had not been cloudy.

The best part was the breakfast (consider we only stayed 1 night). It had authentic options - including Karelian Pastries (look them up since things are not labeled and you should try one!) and delicious juices. I wish things had been labeled but still a great breakfast and the eating area was large!

The only drawback of the igloo was the shower since it did not have a piece to stop the water from flowing all over the floor of the bathroom. There was a mop provided which I guess was to help make sure the water didn't get too far, but it is too bad they didn't design these better.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

It's our first time staying in Igloo type of hotel and we like our fresh experience. We love the bed and the viewing roof and the places around whereby children can spend time playing snow and tubing at nearby distance.

The food is acceptable with cosy ambiance and moderate selection of choice.