All reviews rocking chairs finnish culture aurora zone northern lights aurora experience bed apartment ice fishing frozen lake peaceful location close to nature reindeer safari snow shoes two adults and two children perfect stay finnish sauna minute drive snowmobile tour
Selected filters
Reviewed January 1, 2019

We went on a visit to apukka because we had booked an ice fishing trip.
The pick up from our lodge was on gime as planned. Saara, our driver told us a lot about Finnish culture and nature. She was really passionate. When we arrived at Apukka, we had some time to spent in the reception lounge. We could take coffee and cold drinks and had some time to relax before we went to the clothing rooms. Here Saara gave us thermal clothing and boots. Then we all went of for a walk on the lake. Saara brought everything we needed on a sled. Than she told us how to drill the hole in the ice and learned us how to fish, like the Lappish men do. There were delicious cookies and hot berrie juice. We spent our fishing time with two other families. After the fishing we had some more time to relax by the fire in the lounge. We lost our camera and the people of Apukka did everything to find it back and to sent it to our home.
If we go back to Rovaniemi, we will book our trips at Apukka. The quality/price is very good!

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
ApukkaResort, Apukka Resort front desk team at Apukka Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2019

Hi,

Thank you for taking time to write this review for us. Much appreciated!

We are very happy to hear you had great experience learning ice fishing. We'll make sure to share your kind words with your guide Saara as well.

Hope to have you visiting Apukka Resort again for more adventures. Best wishes for New Year 2019!

Warmest regards,
Sanna, Front desk team, Apukka Resort

Reviewed December 31, 2018

My daughter and I stayed for a night in November. The room was very comfortable. The food in the restaurant was delicious. The staff was very friendly and helpful. There wasn't any snow so we had to change plans a bit. We walked over to see the huskys and although we couldn't go for a ride (no snow) we were able to play with them. Elina took us on a nature walk in the arctic circle hiking area. She was very knowledgeable and we had sausage and cocoa over a fire. Noora and Lauri took us on a night hike in a small group. Although we didn't see the northern lights we had a great time. Again they were both very knowledgable and again we had sausage over a fire. It was a great experience and I would like to go there again.

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family

Hi Judi,

Thank you for your lovely words! We remember your visit and you were wonderful guests to have!

Unfortunate that there wasn't any snow yet when you were here. Now there is more than enough. Hope to have you visit us again and and try out all the fun snow activities we do here.

Happy to hear you were pleased with our guides. They all work with passion for good customer experiences!

Best wishes for New Year and welcome back to Apukka Resort anytime!

Warm regards,
Sanna - Apukka Resort front desk team

Reviewed December 30, 2018

Huskies were not Siberian huskies (that I specifically came to see) like in the ad. The instructors spoke broken English that was hard to understand. The safari guide seemed to be drunk and his lengthy explanation about the instuctions was excessive. The ride itself was ok, though it was very brief (even though we booked a longer one). The rest of the time went getting ready and listening to a talk about the huskies (explaining the excuse why the huskies didn't look like typical huskies). We wanted beautiful memories of the ride so asked the guide to take pictures of us. Afterwards looking at the pictures saw that all of them were blurry and awful. The schedule was also late and we got back 45mins late. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed December 29, 2018 via mobile

We stayed in an Aurora cabin and I was disappointed mainly because my expectations were higher and the experiences were falsely advertised. (Sorry it’s a long one!)We’d just transferred from the Arctic Light hotel in town (Same price but I give 5 stars) to out here as planned for our best opportunity to hunt the northern lights and enjoy some more winter experiences. The reception was friendly but appeared stunned when I asked for assistance with our luggage but once I explained our 2 children (2&5) weren’t able to carry their own bags another staff stepped in and came to the front entrance with us and pointed to the sleighs we could use. Our cabin was the first one and when we reached it (basically all cabins are directly opposite the reception) I noticed a lot of lights around and thought the website explained that Apukka is remote and away from all the light pollution but the view of reception from our Aurora cabin was not in line with the expectation set on their website. It also meant that everyone could see into our cabin when our lights were on. The cabins are not very private as they’re all bunched together. And there’s a 3 story apartment block that looks down into our cabin (with lit up windows) and lit up path candles and Christmas trees, I went back to reception to comment that the lights around our room seemed excessive and asked if we could move to a different cabin, but I was reassured that the reception lights were turned off at 9pm. But they were not at all, so I sent a whatsapp message to the reception number (there’s no phones in the cabins) the next night they turned off 1/2 the reception lights. There’s also an annoying blue light at night outside that doesn’t need to be on. We booked on the Aurora hunt on the snow train activity and it was a 3hour activity, From 9-12pm but they started packing up at 11:12pm and we got back to the resort and everyone was walking to their rooms at 11:30pm, even though it was cloudy and we didn’t see the lights I was disappointed they ended the tour after 2.5hours as it’s all about the experience being out in the dark Forrest. There were also other guests on the tour running about with headlights on when the guide had advised at the beginning not to use them outside. The ice fishing experience was the same the next day with a 2 hour duration experience beginning at 10am by the time everyone gets dressed (1/2hr) and everyone had their ice hole drilled (1/2hr) we got almost a 1/2 hour to actually fish and then we were instructed to pull the lines up and walk back, arriving back to reception at 11:30am. The staff at reception didn’t seem to appreciate feedback nor agree it was an issue but pointed out the duration was fixed, and may look at how they advertise it in future. I suggested they advertise a check in time before the tour starts for people to get winter gear on. I enjoyed the husky safari but felt sorry for the other half of our group who had to wait for our group to go first, for a 6-8pm tour they only started their husky ride at 8pm. (The huskys weren’t very fast- I’ve been on much faster before) The bathroom was very small. They offer a full size floor squeegee as there’s no shower enclosure so water gets all over the floor. On the second day they didn’t make up our room (empty bins etc) I wasn’t sure I needed to put the sign up as they did it on the first morning. The room is not really suitable for a family as the foldout bed was not folded out and not made up, we had to make it up with putting sheets, mattress protectors on etc. it’s a different style fold out bed that you can’t pack away with bedding on it, so there’s not much room to move around and there’s no space to put suitcases other than on the floor so it feels more like a camping experience. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I came with that expectation, but the price we paid was not setting up that expectation! It’s located close to the lake and it’s a nice walk out on there during the day, but at night there’s still too much light around (particularly the blue one) for looking for the Aurora.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed December 26, 2018

We purchased tickets for our family of two adults and two children from the Rovaniemi tourist office. I was disappointed that the huskies were not the traditional ones, they were Siberian and didn’t really look like huskies at all.
On arrival at the resort we had a short amount of time to play in the snow before meeting the other family and friends who would be joining us on our safari. We had a very lengthy explanation about how to drive the sledges ourselves and our tthriving relationship guide ‘Hippy’ was very attentive. He led the safari on holiday s snowmobile and kept checking we were all ok. It was a particularly cold afternoon -25 degrees and when my children got cold he gave them his own gloves and fleece. Blankets would have been great, alth if ugh he explained that he usually did have them.
When the safari ended we went into the tent for hot berry juice and to warm up by the fire.
We were collected and returned to the hotel in a private taxi.

Trip type: Traveled with family
ApukkaResort, Apukka Reception Team at Apukka Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2019

Hi Joanne,

Thank you very much for joining our husky activity. We appreciate you sharing your experience.

Dogs used for Apukka activities are Alaskan huskies. Still real huskies though they don't look similar to fluffy Siberian husky that is more of a pet breed dog. We care for our dogs dearly and their owner Teemu makes sure that every customer is given throughout safety instructions before the safaris.

We are happy to hear you had a good trip regardless the very cold weather. Sad to hear that you weren't provided with extra blankets. We will definitely make a note of this and make sure that all preparations are done according to weather.

We hope your visit for husky ride left you with wonderful memories. Welcome back to Apukka Resort for another visit! Best wishes for New Year 2019!

Warm regards,