“lodging in rovaniemi, finlad”
Review of Hotelli Aakenus

Hotelli Aakenus
Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Rovaniemi
Brookings, Oregon
“lodging in rovaniemi, finlad”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The room is small, poorly ventilated, smelled slightly of an animal odor. The sink is the smallest we have ever seen. There are only two sockets and although they advertise air conditioning there is not one in our room. I asked for a fan and was given the smallest fan made. It is better than nothing. The facility looks dated and is not in a very inviting neighborhood. There is a hostel next door. As a matter of fact this hotel was initially a hostel. They advertise free internet throughout the facility, but we cannot keep a signal in our room. The receptionist checked the router and said that is all he can do.
We cannot recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Finnish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My mum and I spent Christmas in Rovaniemi, while staying in this hotel. It was more budget than the others we stayed in, but that being said it was good value for its price. Very basic....a bit dated. It seems some things have been updated and not others. Walking distance from the town centre.
The staff were lovely and helpful and the hotel was very clean. The breakfast was included and varied from day to day which was nice. Not amazing, but the quality was fine enough! There was WiFi available, but I had some issues connecting on my mobile. They had a computer to use in the lobby.
Overall a fine stay...if I did the holiday over again, I would just visit Rovaniemi for 1 night.
If it meets your budget, go for it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank d-travelling-1
leeds
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We happened to visit Lapland during a heatwave at the beginning of June 2013.We stayed on 2 separate occasions and had rooms at both the front and back of the building. First impressions were of a modern two storey building on the outskirts of the small city centre -an excellent location - 5 minues walk to the main street. We were allocated a room on the second floor at the back of the building- my comment on the clean but sterile brick corridors and old fashioned fire doors was that it felt like a Scandinavian borstal (youth offenders institution for non English site users). The room was fine though - very clean, ok size, nicely but simply decorated. The problem was that the 24 hour sun had turned it into a sauna and the windows were locked shut. There was a thin side window covered with insect mesh that opened but the heat was unbearable. I asked the lady at reception if she had a key to open the windows, and luckily she found one, though did say she thought it wasnt allowed to open them (if the manager reads this, please don't reprimand her- I would have checked straight out had the window not opened). After leaving the window open for a few hours the room cooled and was quiet being at the back of the building - we slept well.

On our second visot we had a room at the front which was cooler than the first , and opening the small side window allowed enough fresh air in to maintain a good temperature. It was the same style as the first, again very clean and functional. Being on the road though it was a little noisy, though the road isnt too busy so we werent disturbed too much.

Breakfast was included in the price and was a hot and cold buffet which was varied and served its purpose without being anything spectacular. The staff were friendly, helpful and spoke good english.

In summary, I was happy with my stays, though had the first receptionist not bent the rules I may not have stayed at all due to the heat. Though I guess thats a rare occurrence in Lapland!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Finland
Reviewed June 3, 2013

It was rather cheap, 61 euros, single room. I stayed two nights. The breakfast was good.
A little bit far from the center (1 km) and from the university (2 km) but rather calm. The room was OK. Friendly staff.

Room Tip: The city swimming centre was rather close.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Beek en Donk
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed there for 6 nights as being my base camp for my hunt for the aurora borealis. Good hotel good kitchen good personnel. Only bad thing is that the kitchen is closed on sundaynight. The staff accomodated me very nice on my nocturnal activities. The lake is nearby as is the city center but hey, the city isn't that big so... Sleeping is not to good as the noise from outside the room is badly or not isolated so if you are a light sleeper bring earplugs. Further it is by far the cheapest hotel around and probably even over the arctic circle. There is a very limited closet to store your clothing if you are traveling light. Bring enough clothes to kill a week in the cold and you'll have to place your suitcase at the wall and use it as that. Advantage of this is that you're quickly packed again. I have little demands and i am happy with a dry and warm place with a bed and a shower and a spot for my laptop with a wifi-connection, a moderate or better kitchen is a preference so this hotel which felt close enough to home suited my needs perfectly and i'd book it again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Recently stayed at Aakenus for four nights.

To put this review into context I paid 99 Euro a night which, let's face it, for Rovaniemi is a bargain. This included accommodation for two people, free WIFI, daily sauna, free parking and breakfast.

The room is more like a hostel/motel room than what I'd call a hotel room. The bed's are extremely uncomfortable with thin mattresses and lifeless pillows. The room is adequately heated and the window can also be easily opened for some fresh air. WIFI was excellent. The bathroom was frustrating. The sink was tiny and the shower recess did not go all the way to the floor so it was constantly flooding when in use. Hot water was hot. The walls are thin however my foam ear plugs worked a treat. The rooms were serviced daily, generally spotless but very dated.

Breakfast was interesting. The food looked great but there were hardly any labels which made it a bit difficult being a non meat eater with a lot of dishes I had not seen before. Cereal, yogurt and fresh berries are always the safe option. I noticed there was a cheap dinner buffet (13 Euro per person) in the evening but I never sampled it. Snacks and drinks are able to be purchased from reception but are a lot cheaper at the many supermarkets in the city area.

The staff were a mixed bunch. Some were great and bent over backwards to help us, but others looked at us like we were filth. Why are they in the service industry I will never know. English was widely understood.

Just a warning for those with a hate of stairs. The hotelli is only two stories but there is no lift.

Outside there are free sleds which is a nice touch.

Aakenus is a very relaxing ten minute stroll from the bottom of Kostikatu where you will find restaurants, bars and safari companies.

A tip for airport transfers... the best option is the Airport Express Taxi. 7 Euro per person and will drop you at the door. The hotelli will happily book your return for you.

So in summary yes it is a very cheap option for Rovaniemi which I believe represents decent value for money. However there were enough negatives about it that I'd suggest if your budget can stretch that little bit further, consider the other options in the area first.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Everything was bit outdated or nothing special, but room was clean and staff friendly. Breakfest was very basic, and lack of elevator makes moving with the suitcase bit unconvenient. Museums Arktikum and Pilke were very close.

Stayed February 2013