All reviewshoneymoon beachrent a golf cartthe cottagesvirgin islandsother guestscrown bay marinaferry dockminute walkhermit crabsst thomashot tubmovie night on the beachexploring the islandwonderful breezeamazing hostsrelaxing vacationbug spray
Reviewed December 2, 2014

When we started looking for a vacation, I wanted something different. No hotel room. No Busy streets. Virgin Island Campground was perfect. A short Ferry ride from St Thomas, Paul met us at the dock and drove us up to the Campground. It was everything I saw online, beautiful views, quite, and the rooms bring in the wonderful breeze from the ocean. I listened to the Ocean until I feel alseep. Deborah, Paul, and Sean were so helpful and friendly. You can bring your groceries and cook all week. They have pots, pans, plates and cup. A refridgerater and freezer. Although we are not cookers so we ate at the Heidi 's Hideway and Digneys. Both excellect food. Everyone is super sweet and very helpful. We will miss it there and hopefully we make it back soon.

1  Thank Helen F
deborahquade, Owner at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2014

I just can't wait for you all to return to enjoy the lobster from the lobster hole you were so kind to share...haven't been there yet, but we will!!

Thanks for the nice review and taking the time to share your experience with others...much appreciated.

Till next time.

Reviewed November 23, 2014

It cold rainy morning here and I’m dreaming of our wonderful vacation on warm sunny Water Island just a week ago. I thought since I can’t do much here I would set and finally write my reviews of the Campground. This trip was for our 15 year Anniversary in which we were celebrating our” first Honeymoon to Honeymoon beach”. It was the first trip without our three kids, so you can say it was way overdue. The first day of arrival was rocky, since we missed our flight from New Orleans, due to the lovely, but friendly TSA. I immediately contacted Sean, and informed him our flight was to arrive at 10:30 p.m., missing the last Ferry to Water Island. Sean insured that we would make it to the Island that night by arranging a boat to pick us up at the Marina. And he reassured me that he would meet us at the dock to pick us up no matter how late we arrived. When we arrived it was night but I could tell this was Paradise, the Taxi from the airport to the Marina was overpriced, I recommend trying to prearrange pick up from the airport just like we did when we left. It saved us $20.00 to prearrange. Gypsy Taxis are overpriced and take advantage of tourist. Once we arrive to Water Island, Sean was there just as he promised to pick up us up. His generosity was one of the best parts of the Campground atmosphere. Sean was helpful and even arranged for us a Sailboat trip to Buck Island, and lobster dinner, which he took some burns why boiling. The Campground was clean, but be prepared if you live on flat ground you may want to do some leg workout prior, as everything is up hill (bathrooms, kitchen, and media room).

I want to comment on the Sailboat tour, which I highly recommend; Mr. Carl was entertaining along with his first mate. Our sailboat trip was just us, and they made extra drink, I think they laughed more at our Southern accents. Drinking rum was something I did daily. I came back home with rum hangover. In fact rum is cheaper than most water.

On with my review; the Owners were not there for most of our stay, which was fine, since Sean handled business wonderfully. During our stay we met two absolutely fun couples one from Italy and the other from New York, which the New Yorkers were not really from the States. Jason and his wife, whom I would spell her name wrong, were so interesting. It seemed like all of us would gather around the kitchen table at night discussing how differently our lives were just by distance. We so enjoyed learning how they lived. I hope one day we can meet up for drinks in New York to catch up. Also, when we travel to Italy definitely have to get Ski lessons. Love them! I would say all in all the stay was great at the campground, and I would comment on one bad thing is when the Owners came back one morning my husband and I overheard loud arguments from them. Yes, all couples have the arguments, but it seems that the whole place was put under stress, due to changing of staff. I believe the Owners should use prudence when conflicts arise. Oh and even though the Owners don’t like the golf cart rentals, I do recommend it, driving conveniently around the island will allow for exploring historical sites and stunning views. The exquisite charm traveling around the Island, that hiking would not accomplish. We explored the WWII ruins several times, because we had the use of the cart. History on Water Island can strike the fancy of each tourist. Charming vegetation from flowering hibiscus to cactus hill sides attracting paradise in photo opportunities. Pleasing sunsets we would travel quickly by cart to catch on the highest top of the mountain side, so magnificent, romantic, tranquil, and quixotic.

I would say in all WE would recommend to anyone who wants to stay away from busy St. Thomas to check out the Virgin Island Campground. Once again thanks to Sean, the Europeans, and the people of Water Island (Heidi’s Grill) for one AWESOME Trip!!! You made this ole couples first but 15 year overdue Honeymoon “special”.

Signed: The Mississippian's

• Stayed: November 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you so for taking time to write a review of the Virgin Islands Campground. I am sorry the TSA made you miss your flight, and that the taxis were overpriced and that an argument placed you under stress. The important thing is you had a great holiday!! I’m happy for that.

I would like to comment on your statement that we, “don’t like golf carts”. We like golf carts just fine. Some guests choose to rent them for a day, their entire stay or not at all. However, some guests forget that while they are in paradise, drinking and driving is not only illegal but it is very dangerous, especially since we have substantial hills, one lane roads and we drive on the opposite side. What we don’t like are the drivers who choose to drink and drive putting our guests and all of the island residents at risk.

Deborah and Paul

Reviewed November 20, 2014

We have been to Water Island the second week of november.
Yes, is a campground but it' s in Paradise.
First of all, before to arrive Deborah helped us a lot explaining what to do and how to reach water island.
Unfortunately she was not there during our stay but Sean who was there did everything possible to make our Holiday fantastic and unforgettable. We did our sail cruise and he even find a lobster for our last dinner. Sean was really available to all our requests and questions and really helpful to all our needs.
The Campground is 5 minutes walking from one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.
Honeymoon beach is great and when you start snorkling in the cristal water with turtles and amazing fisches you can stay hours and hours in the water.
We loved cooking with all the other guests (friends then) of the week and honestly the Holiday was great.
The areas we shared with other guest were very clean and there's nothing bad I can say about the campground.
I really hope to be back soon to Water Island!

4  Thank AlePi0

Thanks for your thoughts and we do hope you will return...I sure would have loved to know how we could have improved on service...next time. Reviews help keep us at 5 stars, because we take your opinions very seriously.

Remember you will receive a 10% discount as a returning guest.

Reviewed November 12, 2014

My wife about 8 months ago read me the details and a few of the reviews about a place she found called Virgin Island Campground. We are campers and the details sounded great. Its the year of our 25th anniversary and this place sounds like us. Book it, lets have some fun, I replied. It was a great decision from beginning to the end. My wife spoke with Debora who answered any and all of her questions. We booked the suite and it was great. Hardly roughing it with private bath, ceiling fans, full size Refrigerator, micro,TV with sat. Every morning a beautiful sunrise at the foot of the bed. We booked in October just ahead of the busy season. This was a great opportunity to converse with all the people who call Water Island their home. All were wonderful. Everywhere we went they called us by name from the first ferry ride over to the good byes at the dock.
Sean was a great host and caretaker though out our stay. He was running the whole show. He took care of any request and gave us direction to anything we wanted to visit. The sailboat/snorkel trip he advised was incredible. Honeymoon beach is perfect with Heidi's on one end and Dinghy's on the other. Offering some of the best food and drinks in the islands out of open grills & food trucks.
Great snorkeling right from the beach. We rented a golf cart for the week to explore and it was fun.
We enjoyed all our fellow campers. Nice people from all over the world.
We can't wait to go back and visit all our friends on Water Island.

Room Tip: We loved the suite but each cabin has its own appeal.
  • Stayed: October 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anthony P
deborahquade, Owner at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2014

Happy 25th!! i was sorry we were not there to see you enjoy the surprise from your friends..Yes, Sean certainly enjoyed your stay, too, and appreciated your offers of cold beer!!.

Thank you for writing such a nice review...we hope you will come back and join us.

Reviewed November 10, 2014

My wife and I had an incredible Honeymoon stay at the "Campground"!! Sean picked us up when we first arrived and after a brief tour of the island took us to our new home. Our cabin,cooking area and bathroom were super clean when we got there and Sean made sure they stayed that way the whole time we were there. He also picked us up when we had a lot of groceries, hooked us up with a sailboat ride an snorkel adventure to Buck island and gave us good advice for things to do on St Thomas. Water Island is a beautiful little island with friendly people and Honeymoon beach is Awesome!! Go there and see why I kept screaming " I Love My LIFE!!!"

Room Tip: Cabin 6 had a great view and a nice breeze!!
  • Stayed: October 2014, traveled as a couple

Thanks for taking the time to write a nice review..."bliss" was also how Sean described the guest while we were gone!! How awesome is that.

Hope you will join us again and take advantage of the 10% discount given to all returning guests who book directly thru us. And we hope to meet you then.

Good luck to you and your new bride...not always easy but for me ( 44 years and counting) but always worth it.