“Perfect island get-away!”

Virgin Islands Campground
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Perfect island get-away!”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

As a solo female traveler just wanting to escape the city and relax in the sun and sand - this place was PERFECT! I didn't meet the owners since they were away, however Deborah sent me an email the day after I booked my reservation with all the helpful tips and necessary info for where to eat, water taxi schedule etc which was awesome. Sean was running the place while I was there and I can't say enough good things. He was such a wealth of information, enthusiasm, and worked tirelessly to make sure everyone at the campground was having the best vacation possible. He showed me the best snorkeling spots, gave a tour of the fort, helped me arrange a sailing day trip (Cheers to Captains Lloyd and Jeff!) and introduced me around to the locals. I felt totally at ease and safe among this community of laid-back, generous, happy islanders. The accomodations were spotless and comfortable. I stayed in one of the cabins and loved going to sleep to the breeze off the water and waking up to the sunrise. If you're a runner - bring your sneaks cause there are some fun hills for a challenging morning workout! One of my favorite things was cooking dinners in the communal kitchen space. What better place to meet new people and share stories than over homemade food, rum, and a pristine ocean view? I loved every minute of this vacation and will definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
deborahquade, Owner at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
We are so glad you had a good time and look forward to your return...as you know a 10% returning guest discount will be available to you this time.

Thank you for taking time to write such a nice review...it is some important to us and to our campground. We appreciate all the nice words about Sean...it has been such a pleasure going away and feel "not missed". Really, thank you

Deb and Paul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 24, 2014

From the moment Sean picked us up at the ferry dock to the moment he dropped us back off, our stay on Water Island at the campground was pure bliss. After a long, cold Chicago winter I needed a laid back escape that would deliver warm sunshine, cold beer, and a beautiful beach. My stay at the campground provided SO much more than that!
We stayed in the suite, which really felt like our own beach house with a million dollar view! It had everything we needed, even beach towels. We slept with the windows open every night, drifting off to sleep with the sounds of the outdoors carried in by a 70 degree breeze. The cabins would be a little more like camping, because they are more open, but either way you can't go wrong. Next time I want to stay in a cabin, though. They are so cute and cozy!
Sean was the man in charge while we were there (the owners were away) and he quickly became more like family. He was always around to answer questions, provide suggestions, and do whatever he could to make sure we had the best vacation possible. And he did! Without Sean, it would have been a different experience. He even went snorkeling with us and speared a huge trigger right off the beach! Great experience. Thanks, Sean!
We rented a golf cart, which I highly recommend. I was pleased that the terrain was steep (even walking up to the suite) so that I could burn off some of the Painkillers I had consumed at the beach, but driving around the island in the golf cart was great! And fyi they
drive on the other side.
I feel like I could go on and on about the campground and the island. It was so amazingly beautiful, the locals became fast friends, and we can't wait to get back! I would recommend the campground to anyone who wants to escape the common and get back in touch with what's real. It is simple, beautiful, and the perfect place to disconnect, make new friends, and take a deep breath. I came home rejuvenated. And, of course, planning my next trip to Water Island. Cheers!

• Stayed April 2014
deborahquade, Owner at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Honestly, I think we should not bother coming back...the reviews have been the best ever since we left. We knew we were in good hands with Sean and Mike, but really, had no idea how they would excel with out us. We are so happy.

We a sorry we missed your stay, but so glad you had a great time. We hope our paths will cross some day.

Til then.

Paul and Deb
New Hampshire
Reviewed April 24, 2014

This was my first time in an eco-cabin and it was perfect! I wasn't sure I'd like it and I LOVED IT! I love the outdoors and for one short week, we were one with nature... it was amazing. The owners were away so Sean and Mike oversaw the campground for the week we were there... you would have thought they were the owners. Sean was a great host and was always right there to help, answer questions, share a story ... he's incredibly outgoing, friendly, helpful and just a great guy. Mike was more of a behind the scene guy but was incredibly helpful as well. We rented a golf cart from Rachel... she's great as was the cart!

It was great seeing the other campers in the kitchen but that's about the only time we saw them. The campground was quiet except for the sounds of the frogs and crickets (or whatever they have) at night. And there was always a warm breeze blowing through our cabin plus we had a fan -- the cabin was perfect!

The wifi worked great. We happened to be there during a full moon... I spent most late evenings up in the kitchen pavilion or lying in the hammock, checking my email by the light of the moon - no streetlights : ). I honestly don't have one negative thing to say about the Virgin Islands Campground. The bathrooms were incredibly clean any time of day I went in. The campers were very respectful of the kitchen pavilion and kept it picked up and clean. The grounds and cabins are meticulous. And Honeymoon Beach, Heidi, and Dinghy's are everything great that you read about them!

As a side note, if you're flying out of St. Thomas... the first ferry is at 6:15AM then you need to grab a taxi... and the airport wants you there 3 hours early...so make sure you have at least 3.5 hrs between the time you get on the ferry and your flight. VERY SPECIAL thanks to Sean for helping us with our travel snafu! Without him we would never have made our flight! He went above and beyond! And a BIG Thanks to Rachel also -- we couldn't have gotten off the island without her! Great people, great place...it's quite possibly the best kept secret!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write such an amazing review...we are so glad to share our slice of paradise and Sean and Mike have made that possible...thanks to them, too!!

We do hope you will be back to take advantage of the 10% discount off to returning guests.

Hope to see you then.

Barre, Vermont
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I'm a "Maho Bay refugee". The loss of Maho Bay a was made less painful by finding this gem on Water Island. The campground was clean, comfortable, and well maintained. The proximity to two beaches (one for scavenging and one for sunning and swimming) was perfect. The staff at the campground (Sean) was very helpful and an amusing character. He was attentive to all the campers. The camaraderie of meeting in the pavilion with other vacationers was great. We met some wonderful people.
Sorry we didn't meet the owners, they were on vacation :-). And we love our toe rings :-)!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
deborahquade, Owner at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Yes, longer is always better and I am so happy you like the toe rings...I like them too! Sean said you had a pretty good toe ring party...sorry I missed it.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We really appreciate it!! 10% discount for your next visit...hope to meet you then.

Bolton, Connecticut
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I could write another lengthy review like the ones below, but it's totally not necessary! I can sum everything up in one word: PERFECT! I would happily live out the rest of my days on Honeymoon Beach and in cottage 4 if I could. I loved the beach, loved the food at Heidi’s, loved the other “campers,” and loved the sailing trip with Carl and Tim. Sean, the manager, is wonderful and incredibly helpful and enthusiastic. The cottage and grounds were spotless. I was traveling as a young, single, female and felt 100% safe everywhere on the island. I don’t want to give too much away, but I can say I will definitely be returning!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Allie K
deborahquade, Owner at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Heaven is right!! When I read a review like that. Heaven.

Thank YOU!!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 8, 2014

As my husband and I stare out the window from our home in Nahant, Massachusetts, we reminisce on our previous week in Water Island, USVI. We have done so every day since our return to Boston because our trip was truly exceptional.

When we arrived at the Water Island ferry dock, Sean, the property manager from the Virgin Island Campgrounds greeted us with a smile. It was a refreshing respite since our commute from the campground where we stayed in St. John had been---let’s say adventurous. Sean provided a short tour of island essentials, like honeymoon beach, Heidi’s Honeymoon Grill and a Rachel’s Repair Shop, where we rented golf carts to get around the island.

I remember the pleased look on my husband’s face when we entered our cabin on the campground. It was exactly what we expected and very reminiscent of my days at Maho Bay Campground-which my new husband never had a chance to experience before their closure.

We spent the next four days in paradise. With ocean views, Sean’s unforgettable fish fry, swimming, sailing and basking in the sun-we could not ask for more. Being a Caribbean native, I wanted my Boston native husband to experience the pure essence of small island life. He noted that every single person on Water Island said hello to us in passing (:

My husband wanted to extend our stay but unfortunately we had to get back to stateside We are now dreaming up ways to make frequent visits----in the meantime, we have pictures and memories to get us through our hectic lives in Boston. We hope to visit Sean and the Virgin Island Campground very soon. Thank you so much for a wonderful time.

Lisa and Oakley

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa T
deborahquade, Manager at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Now that is a review!! From the islands and you loved it!! Awesome. Thanks for the time you spent writing the review. We are looking forward to meeting you the next stay...

Haugen, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 6, 2014

We are campers and this was the best camping (glamping) we have ever experienced. The quaint cabins were clean and a wonderful breeze flowed through them all day and all night. It is close to two beautiful beaches. One is very secluded and a short walk down from the campground and the other is a little further walk to the beautiful sandy Honeymoon Beach. Golf carts are available, but we never needed one as we enjoyed the walk. Sean, our host, was very accommodating and along with Mike treated us to a wonderful fish fry and lobster boil...just awesome! Meeting other campers at the cooking pavilion is such a plus, making friends fast and hearing about their adventures while staying on the island. If you are a camper you will not be disappointed, it is just such an awesome, relaxing experience. Thank you, Deborah & Paul, for sharing your little bit of heaven with us.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jane R
deborahquade, Owner at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Your review was so refreshing and so what we are and offer...it was a real pleasure to read and we are sorry we missed your stay. Next time.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Water Island
Paradise Cove Oceanfront Villas & Suites
Point Pleasant Resort
Point Pleasant Resort
#1 of 5 in East End

Been to Virgin Islands Campground? Share your experiences!