“Awesome experience, should have stayed longer!”

Virgin Islands Campground
Barre, Vermont
“Awesome experience, should have stayed longer!”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I'm a "Maho Bay refugee". The loss of Maho Bay a was made less painful by finding this gem on Water Island. The campground was clean, comfortable, and well maintained. The proximity to two beaches (one for scavenging and one for sunning and swimming) was perfect. The staff at the campground (Sean) was very helpful and an amusing character. He was attentive to all the campers. The camaraderie of meeting in the pavilion with other vacationers was great. We met some wonderful people.
Sorry we didn't meet the owners, they were on vacation :-). And we love our toe rings :-)!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
deborahquade, Owner at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Yes, longer is always better and I am so happy you like the toe rings...I like them too! Sean said you had a pretty good toe ring party...sorry I missed it.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We really appreciate it!! 10% discount for your next visit...hope to meet you then.

Deborah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Bolton, Connecticut
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I could write another lengthy review like the ones below, but it's totally not necessary! I can sum everything up in one word: PERFECT! I would happily live out the rest of my days on Honeymoon Beach and in cottage 4 if I could. I loved the beach, loved the food at Heidi’s, loved the other “campers,” and loved the sailing trip with Carl and Tim. Sean, the manager, is wonderful and incredibly helpful and enthusiastic. The cottage and grounds were spotless. I was traveling as a young, single, female and felt 100% safe everywhere on the island. I don’t want to give too much away, but I can say I will definitely be returning!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Allie K
deborahquade, Owner at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Heaven is right!! When I read a review like that. Heaven.

Thank YOU!!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 8, 2014

As my husband and I stare out the window from our home in Nahant, Massachusetts, we reminisce on our previous week in Water Island, USVI. We have done so every day since our return to Boston because our trip was truly exceptional.

When we arrived at the Water Island ferry dock, Sean, the property manager from the Virgin Island Campgrounds greeted us with a smile. It was a refreshing respite since our commute from the campground where we stayed in St. John had been---let’s say adventurous. Sean provided a short tour of island essentials, like honeymoon beach, Heidi’s Honeymoon Grill and a Rachel’s Repair Shop, where we rented golf carts to get around the island.

I remember the pleased look on my husband’s face when we entered our cabin on the campground. It was exactly what we expected and very reminiscent of my days at Maho Bay Campground-which my new husband never had a chance to experience before their closure.

We spent the next four days in paradise. With ocean views, Sean’s unforgettable fish fry, swimming, sailing and basking in the sun-we could not ask for more. Being a Caribbean native, I wanted my Boston native husband to experience the pure essence of small island life. He noted that every single person on Water Island said hello to us in passing (:

My husband wanted to extend our stay but unfortunately we had to get back to stateside We are now dreaming up ways to make frequent visits----in the meantime, we have pictures and memories to get us through our hectic lives in Boston. We hope to visit Sean and the Virgin Island Campground very soon. Thank you so much for a wonderful time.

Lisa and Oakley

2 Thank Lisa T
deborahquade, Manager at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Now that is a review!! From the islands and you loved it!! Awesome. Thanks for the time you spent writing the review. We are looking forward to meeting you the next stay...

Haugen, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 6, 2014

We are campers and this was the best camping (glamping) we have ever experienced. The quaint cabins were clean and a wonderful breeze flowed through them all day and all night. It is close to two beautiful beaches. One is very secluded and a short walk down from the campground and the other is a little further walk to the beautiful sandy Honeymoon Beach. Golf carts are available, but we never needed one as we enjoyed the walk. Sean, our host, was very accommodating and along with Mike treated us to a wonderful fish fry and lobster boil...just awesome! Meeting other campers at the cooking pavilion is such a plus, making friends fast and hearing about their adventures while staying on the island. If you are a camper you will not be disappointed, it is just such an awesome, relaxing experience. Thank you, Deborah & Paul, for sharing your little bit of heaven with us.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jane R
deborahquade, Owner at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Your review was so refreshing and so what we are and offer...it was a real pleasure to read and we are sorry we missed your stay. Next time.

Deb and Paul
Superior, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 3, 2014

This was our first trip to the Virgin Islands. Being campers at home, the campground seemed like the ideal trip for us rather than being cooped up in a hotel room. After seeing the hotels in St. Thomas (no beach access or privacy) we were glad we chose Water Island. The campground was perfect for us. We were in Cabin 3. The cabin suited its purpose. Very comfortable and clean. Yes, there were little lizards but you get used to their company. It was a close walk to the bathrooms/showers and kitchen area.

The community kitchen seems a bit awkward at first but it really gives you a chance to mingle with fellow campers over coffee, etc. It was never inconvenient to cook your meal when you wanted to. Being able to socialize with the other campers was nice to see and tell about adventures. It gave us some great ideas on places to explore.

The bathrooms are a little different story. Showering under rainwater was incredible. And looking at the ocean at the same time was a view you will never forget. The toilet areas could stand to be cleaned at least once a day. Toward the end of our trip it was starting to get a little disgusting and smelly (they do not flush toilet paper, it goes into a garbage).

We especially loved the beach. It was not crowded like many others we came across during our stay. We did not rent a golf cart as we only had a short walk to the beach. If we wanted to ferry to St. Thomas the walk was just a short distance from our camp. If you want to explore more around Water Island, you may want to plan for one. The fish tacos at Heidi's on the beach were amazing!

We did the snorkel trip as well. It was well worth every penny. Carl and Tim were great to visit with and made the trip very enjoyable. We are already talking about snorkeling again since it was such an experience.

All in all our experience was great. We had a wonderful time and hated to have to come home to snow again. We hope to go back again next year!

2 Thank Wendy M
deborahquade, Owner at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the Virgin Islands Campground.

Farmington, Missouri
Reviewed March 25, 2014

When we first got their Deborah put us through a 15 minute rules tour of what you can and can't do, meanwhile everyone is still holding their bags the whole time. Then she told us which cabins we had and left.

I reserved a cabin about 4 months in advance and I asked Deborah about the layout of the cabins, which ones were private, had the best view, etc. She told me cabin 5 and 6 were the most private and 5 had the best view, but they all had a view of the ocean. I told her it was just my wife and I and that I would very much like to have cabin 5, but since we wanted privacy, cabin 6 would do also. when we got there she put us in cabin 3. the campsite is on a hillside and cabins 1-4 sit in a row going down the hill, one in front of the other. There are wonderful ocean breezes blowing all the time and at night it's best to keep the canvas blinds up to let the breeze flow. Well, in cabin 3 when you do this, the porch on cabin 2 looks directly down onto your bed, and is only about 15 feet away. the porch on cabin 3 looks directly down onto the bed of cabin 4. So, there is no privacy in your bed and no privacy on your porch. AND, there's a rooster that crows non stop for an hour every morning at 6am right by cabins 3 and 4. I spent the first 2 days of our 5 days there fuming about my cabin. Oh, and there are always lizards running around inside your cabin, just fyi.

it's a close kind of campground and you run into the other campers all the time and I met the people who had been put into cabins 5 and 6, all of whom arrived at the same time we did. the young couple in cabin 5 had reserved their cabin about 6 weeks prior and the mother and son in cabin 6 had reserved their cabin 4 weeks prior, and she was also the aunt of the camp manager.
I did not see Deborah again until the last day of our stay and when I told her of my disappointment with my assigned cabin she apologized and said she assigns cabins based on the length of stay or something like that. Basically she tries minimize vacant cabins, I guess. I understand that, but it just about ruined our stay for our romantic island cabin vacation.
on all the other reviews you hear about how great Deborah and Mike are and I don't get that. they were never around and when I called up to there house three different times it was a constant busy signal. I will not go back to the Virgin Island Campground.

The snorkel with the turtles tour that they advertise on their website for $65 with the open bar is only if you bring 6 people to fill the boat, if not its $75-85 and the "open bar" is only on the ride back from the snorkel area.

Water Island is really cool though. it's small and quaint and beautiful. I recommend renting a golf cart from Rachel for $30 a day, and I would get some snorkel equipment as the water is super clear. we saw a sea turtle and an octopus about as big as a football.

You might really enjoy your stay at this campground. the cabins are really neat, very clean and comfortable and the breezes are awesome. the beach is an easy walk and is often not very populated. Just be sure about your cabin.

2 Thank Bob920
deborahquade, Owner at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
I am very sorry that you were unhappy in your cottage, but very glad you had a good time on Water Island. I must tell you that in 7 years, you are the first person who did not like a cottage and as I told you, Cottage 3 is our favorite.

We are so tiny that we do accept "requests" for certain cottages and can often comply. However, cottages are never guaranteed. We are just too small to turn down a reservation and we sometimes have to "maneuver" our guest and their cottage assignment to fit in as many as we can, which you clearly understood based on your review. I know our future clients read reviews and I am glad that this is being discussed. Thank you for that. The invoice clearly says, and I quote, "wants cottage 5 if possible".

About the phone ringing busy, thank you for bringing that to our attention, too. We immediately called the phone company and they were there the next morning fixing the problem prior to your departure. I am sorry for the delay, but since you were not flying out until late in the afternoon the next day, there was plenty of time to come up to our home during the day time, print out the boarding passes and discuss your dissatisfaction.

As for not seeing Paul (my husbands name is Paul not Mike) and I, you are right. We always try to meet the guests when they arrive ( I hope you enjoyed the rum punch) and see guests off when they leave. As you know, we are getting up in our years. We are working with our staff to take on more of the daily responsibilities. We think they are doing an amazing job. Currently we are off island dealing with Paul's medical issues...it's tough getting old!! Believe me, we were not trying to ignore you.

Deborah and Paul
Saint Joseph, Michigan
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Have you ever noticed that after many years of resort vacations, everything starts to look and feel the same? The Virgin Islands Campground is the cure for this problem. This vacation is like nothing else my husband and I have ever done--and we've stayed in resorts all over the Caribbean and Mexico for 25 years. First of all, there are only a handful of units available and it feels very exclusive. Each one is very private and has everything you need including a private deck. The bed was extremely comfortable. Yes, the concept of canvas over wood frame cottages is rustic, but it felt charming and "real". There was a fabulous hot tub that could soak away any aches and pains after a day of hiking about the island. The grounds and views were gorgeous and there were two entirely different beaches just a 5 minute walk away. One beach had typical white sand, palm trees and 2 bar/restaurants, the other was entirely comprised of coral outcropping and coral pieces--great for beach combing. If you feel the need for a change of scenery or to pick up some groceries, you can hop a ferry for a 10 minute ride to Saint Thomas. It was remarkable to me that although St. Thomas is so close, Water Island seems entirely different. For one thing, there is no crime. You and your personal belongings are quite safe. Perhaps the best part of staying at this campground, is the common eating area where you can avail yourself of meeting interesting people. I found that my "neighbors" were all unique individuals that made evenings around the picnic table fun and entertaining. Glasses of wine were shared and there was guitar music and good conversation. The owners and staff live on the property and were only a phone call away if there was ever a problem. They were so down to earth and helpful with every aspect of our stay, we could not have asked for any better experience. So, if you enjoy being close to nature and enjoy the companionship of others, I would recommend the Virgin Islands Campground.

Room Tip: If climbing a steep hill or doing steps would be a difficulty for you, please let the owner know.