“Fabulous Glamping”

Virgin Islands Campground
Reviewed March 16, 2014

As I reflect back over the time I spent at the campgrounds tears come to my eyes because I miss it sooooo much. The place is beautiful, the locals make you feel like one of them from the second you arrive, the other campers are some of the greatest ppl I have ever met while vacationing. Sean the caretaker was the best ever. He always made sure we had everything we needed, he even made our anniversary dinner extra special by scoring Caribbean Bugs (aka lobsters) in which all the campers enjoyed at the pavilion. Bob and I have vowed to return and bring friends with us next time . If you are looking for a vacation spot to just hang out away from all the tourists let me say this should be high on your list.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
deborahquade, Owner at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

You are so sweet...and thank you for a review " over the top"...so glad to hear Sean took care of all your needs, as well. I'm just sorry we were not here for the "annual bug boil" ( so funny)...We are really looking forward to your return with some of your friends...it is AWESOME to have guests so happy with our little piece of paradise.

until next time.....

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Overall, my wife and I enjoyed our stay. We consider ourselves well-traveled and experienced backpackers. These are things we liked: excellent view, quiet and peaceful setting to lay in a hammock and read a book, convenience to a beach, proximity to St. Thomas made grocery shopping for cooking easy, quality of fellow campers, family and couple-oriented, friendly local residents made you feel like a local too, and the option to eat at the beach restaurant on nights we did not have a planned meal.

These are the things we did not like: cold showers each day, close proximity of bathrooms and bathroom sinks to communal kitchen area, and failure to mention the day-trippers that come from St. Thomas and the cruise ships. We advise that you read the reviews for honeymoon beach on water island.

Given the large number of things we liked, we would recommend this place with the following advice: bring your own pillows if you are picky, take showers during the warmer part of the day avoiding meal times, and go to honeymoon beach in the morning before 11:00 AM and after 4:00 PM in order to avoid day-trippers (This also helps you avoid sunburn). Also, if you have any mobility issues, you would be wise to rent one of the golf carts as the whole island is very hilly, especially the hill that the campground is on (in that case, rent the suite because it is self-contained).

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
deborahquade, Owner at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Thanks for taking the time to write a review...but would love to know how to improve on sleep quality...I don't know why it was only a 3 and hence I don't know how to fix it!!

I also looked up back packing...I really didn't know what that meant...but now I do. We do have hills and we don't want anyone to not know that. It is important and thanks for pointing that out. I remember traveling to the Bahama's and it was flat flat and I remember thinking the Virgin Islands was the same...not so.

We do hope you will return and thank you for your stay.

Deborah, Paul and Sean

Reviewed March 11, 2014

LOVED our stay @ Virgin Islands Campground... the cabins were just what we prefer! I'm not big on tourist type vacations- THIS was just what we needed. Sean was sooooooo cool to hang with and just truly made our vacation special. Thanks bro for the extra attention and assistance when needed- come visit us in NH!!! We also truly valued our social times around the community picnic table hanging with the other few lucky guests on vacation.

To be completely honest, the 1st night, my girlfriend was completely disappointed by the "roughing it" atmosphere. However, by the end of the trip, she said it was "her favorite vacation and couldn't wait to return."

Winning.

Room Tip: Reserve a golf cart ahead of time!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

You guys are winning!! Vacationing exactly like I like it...spur of the moment and lots of fun. We are glad you enjoyed the other guest. People who are attracted to Virgin Islands Campground are just darn awesome...

We are also glad to hear Sean was so helpful.. thanks, too for that.

Next visit is 10% less..book direct.

Til next time.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Such a wonderful, relaxing place to stay. The cabins were so clean and comfortable, and the fresh air and stars at night were incredible. The communal kitchen was a great way to meet and admire the sunrise with fellow campers, and the two beaches within a 10-minute walk of camp are incredible. Not to mention Deborah is the sweetest host-- thank you for an incredible experience!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Sarah_HP7159TN
deborahquade, Guest Relations Manager at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Sarah,

Glad to hear you had a happy birthday...and thanks for your review. Glamping is a new term that we know and it's nice to educate the public. Try to make this a yearly event and if you do we will see you again sooner than you think.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

What a wonderful experience. From the moment we step off the Ferry we were greeted with Charm and comfort. We returned from the camp grounds just last Weds 02/26/2014. My wife and I were pleased with every aspect of our stay, From the friendly and helpful staff to the open air accommodation. We plan to visit again next year and the Year after unless we purchase a home on the Island first.

Room Tip: Ask for Cabin 6. Best View
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dingman2014
deborahquade, Front Office Manager at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Dear Jim,

It's so nice to hear lovely words...we don't ever get tired of it!! Because of your early departure, just bring this response and instead of getting a 10% usual return discount, we will award you a 20% return discount...note that is a direct booking thru our web site.

Hope the pizza and trucking business are all set now. Sorry you we're able to make it back. We were looking for you!

Deb

Reviewed February 28, 2014

I waited to write this review because since we left in January the amazing time we had on Water Island and at the Virgin Islands Campground seems like a dream. However, I have pic's and video's to prove that it was not a dream. I planned the trip for my better half's birthday. Since he had never been to the caribbean and always talked about "living off the grid", I thought it would be a great bday gift! WE LOVED IT! Our cabin was so comfortable, clean and the bed was super comfortable. If you have never slept on a uncomfortable bed, you realize how important it is, especially after spending the days hiking, swimming and snorkeling. The shared areas @ the campground were super clean and organized. Deborah has done a great job on making sure you have everything you would need to cook with. The bathroom/shower too was immaculate. So, if you are like me, (a little neurotic when it comes to cleanliness) you will have no problem. After all, you are "camping" sort of, so keeping that in mind, this would be the creme de la creme of camping. We spent days and evenings at Honeymoon Beach drinking "Painkillers" and eating the delicious Fish Taco's from Heidi's on the beach. We met so many really nice and friendly people, that when you leave you feel a little sad. However, if meeting people is not your thing, you can spend quiet days and evenings reading, meditating, or just enjoying the beauty that Water Island has to offer and no one would bother you. It was a great "home base" when we decided to explore a bit and take the ferry to the British Virgin Islands. We would stop at the Pueblo Market to buy our groceries to take back with us. It was a little less expensive than the market in the marina. Plus, we were there for 10 days, so it was great to be able to fix our own food and not always eat out. When we returned, I have to say, it felt like AHHHH, we are back at home. We had a amazing time, I would highly recommend it if you are the type of person who loves nature, wants to let go and get back to the basic's of living. It's quiet, its safe, and it truly is a secret gem in the Virgin Islands.

Room Tip: I really loved our cabin. I cannot remember the number, however, it was the 1st one as you would wal...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
deborahquade, Director of Sales at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

Gosh, I'm having such a good time reading all of the reviews this year. So many comments and so nice to hear. You, by the way, were in cottage 4. I went to the tips and every body likes which ever cottage they were in...so interesting. Your review was very interesting...and much appreciated. We are glad you had such a nice experience...how great is that? GREAT!

Come back and join us again in the future.

Thanks so much.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Our vacation was a month ago and I still find myself daydreaming about the place.

First, I tried to carefully follow the "planning your visit" section Deborah provides on their website http://www.virginislandscampground.com. She explains to give them a call ahead of time so they know when to pick you up at the marina on Water Island. Sure enough this went off without a hitch. Paul gave us a quick tour of the island and when we got to the campground Deborah greeted us with a big smile and a delicious cocktail.

We found our cottage to be charming. The big king size bed was great. So many details have been carefully thought out. We had cottage #6 and felt it was sufficiently secluded. The sound of the ocean was soothing and the breeze kept us cool. We did find some geckos and a few ants in our cottage, the millipede stayed outside. My husband got a kick out of saying hello to the resident gecko. A lone mother hen and her chicks were fun to watch. We also enjoyed the many hummingbirds that came to the feeder at the pavilion. And check out the community of hermit crabs. All of these creatures only added to the natural culture that flourishes throughout Water Island.

Meal preparations were never a problem. Everyone was good about picking up after themselves. There were people from all over the country and even from Europe. People from all walks of life, older and younger, professors to custodians, we enjoyed socializing with all of them. This was a highlight of our stay. The only con I can think of is if the campground gets bigger they will need larger Pavilion space.

Water Island is hilly. Very hilly. I would recommend splurging on the golf cart. After spending all day on the beach, enjoying a delicious fish taco and several drinks at Heidi's, you aren't going to want to break a sweat walking back up to the campground. Beside, we enjoyed tooling around Water Island. Driving up to the fort at sunset is memorable, especially when there are a few cruise ships sailing into it.

I would also recommend planning meals. We did not sufficiently think about this and counted on purchasing everything once we got to St. Thomas. After traveling all day we got to Crown Bay Marina needing buy food for the night and next morning. We spent a lot of money that first night. Next time we will pack a suitcase with some food. You are able to purchase food at Gourmet Gallery which is convenient but extraordinarily expensive. Pueblo's is less expensive but not as convenient.

We went to Charlotte Amalie for one day to purchase sandals and did not feel the need to return.

I had read a review suggesting not to cram too many things in. It was a great recommendation. The food and drinks Heidi's and Dingy's on the beach were delicious. Thankfully there is an ATM machine at Dingy's which we needed several times. Drinks don't come free. We thoroughly enjoyed Honeymoon Beach and did a lot of snorkeling. Swimming with sea turtles and beautiful fish was an amazing experience. If you plan on snorkeling, I do recommend splurging on bringing your own snorkel gear, you will not regret it.

We did the Buck Island sail with Capt. Carl. It was reasonably priced, the snorkeling was amazing, the captain is a Water Island old timer, and it was a great time.

Finally, listening to Paul tell his and Deborah's story of their life's work, building the campground, as well as other adventures, makes you admire even more the effort taken to build the campground into the success it enjoys. Oh, and I can't forget Sean who was always scouting for what needed to be done or what a guest wanted.

Like many other reviewers, we hope to make this vacation experience a regular occurrence. Once bitten...

Room Tip: Cottage 6 was off the beaten path.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
deborahquade, Front Office Manager at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Heck right now and you can enjoy your 10% returning guest discount if you book directly. You are amazing to write all of that stuff...you are clearly a writer...I enjoyed hearing what you had to say, but some people can just say it better...and you did! Thank you!!

Come back soon.

#1 of 1 in South Coast
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Virgin Islands Campground? Share your experiences!