Virgin Islands Campground
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Emerald Beach Resort(Charlotte Amalie)
View Hotel
Island Beachcomber Hotel(Charlotte Amalie)
  • Beachfront
View Hotel
Windward Passage Hotel(Charlotte Amalie)
  • Pool
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove(Charlotte Amalie)
Mafolie Hotel(Charlotte Amalie)
  • Pool
All reviewshoneymoon beachthe cottagesrent a golf cartvirgin islandsshort walkother guestscooking areacrown bay marinashared kitchenferry dockst thomashot tubsea turtlesfish tacoswonderful breezegourmet galleryamazing hosts
Reviewed November 17, 2012

What an incredible experience! We stayed here for 4 days as part of a 12 day vacation in the Virgin Islands. The second half was at the Marriott Reef on St Thomas and if I had to do it all over again, I would spend the entire vacation at Virgin Islands Campground! I have been a tent camper all my life so this was not a stretch for me but it exceeded all my expectations. We packed way too much as almost everything you need is there. There is no need to bring anything but your bathing suit, a good pair pair of walking shoes, sunscreen and a desire to relax. We brought food with us from home and bought some in St Thomas. It was nice to sit in the pavilion each morning with a cup of tea, bowl of cereal and fruit. Breakfast tastes so much better when you are sitting outside with the Caribbean Sea in front of you! However we ate down on the beach at Heidi's (great cheeseburgers!) or at Joe's Beach Bar (great painkiller's) for lunch and dinner often.
The views, even from the shower, were magnificent...beautiful sunrise every single morning right outside our cottage, gentle breezes washing over you through the screens at night, the smell of island flowers, Caribbean air and the island sounds all around you. I loved the roosters even David missed them the next morning after we left ;) The short walk down to the beach was filled with wildlife sightings and it felt great to arrive at an almost deserted beach each day and enjoy the quiet and gentle warm water. Coming back to the campground in the afternoon, swinging in the hammock with a glass of wine before dinner and staring up at the stars from the hot tub before bed made for great endings to a awesome days on Water Island. You can't get this experience at the Marriott!
We happened to be the only ones booked the 4 days we were there which I was initially a little disappointed about however that changed the minute we met Deborah and got to the campground. She was wonderful and made us feel like we were friends visiting her home and not just another paying customer. From the stories she shared with us, it sounds like she has made numerous friends around the world who have been lucky enough to have met her and shared this wonderful experience and her piece of paradise. Unfortunately Deborah's husband Paul was off island so we did not get a chance to meet him but we heard great things. It just gives us another excuse (like we need one) to go back! Being the only ones there gave us a chance to check out each cottage and the suite. We were in cottage 1 which was great and is close to the hot tub and the bathrooms. The view was fantastic. The best sunrise view was from cottage 5 but the view from the hammock pavilion was great and a quick walk from all the cottages and the suite. I would have to say there does not seem to be a bad spot anywhere. I would be happy to stay in any of them.
We got married on Honeymoon Beach while we were there and Deborah went out of her way to make our day special and we couldn't have been more pleased. She went above and beyond what one would expect but after only knowing Deborah for such a short time, I believe that is the kind of person she is. Thanks Deborah for sharing our wedding day with us.
Our 4 days on Water Island at Virgin Islands Campground was fantastic and without a doubt the best days of our trip! We will be back!

Room Tip: Cottage 1 closest to bathrooms, hot tub and kitchen. Cottage 5 best sunrise view from deck. All cottages and Suite seem to have great views.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
deborahquade, Owner at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

I do hope you and David are still as happy as you were when you were here. Listen, with guests like you all, it's like having a vacation myself. I was sorry Paul was not there to join us...but we got Terry instead!!

Thanks for the wonderful review..we did just click and i loved your free spirit. Great wedding...the way all weddings should be.

I hope you all will be back...remember you will receive a 10% discount. Have a great life until we meet again.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

NOV 3 TO 10, 2012 couldn’t believe there is a better way to spend a birthday. We arrived on water island greeted by Deborah from camp and Rachel with a golf cart. We followed Deborah to camp to be introduced to our amazing accommodations which happened to be #1 adjacent to the hot tub and communications room. We were then told we were the only ones staying and feel free to enjoy the entire place as we wished. If we need Deborah we used the phone in the communications room and she left us to our privacy. The sun rise in the morning was spectacular from our bed and porch. The view in the evening from the pavilion was spectacular. The bath house was very modern and clean. Laying in the hammock in the daytime reading a book or enjoying the view was so relaxing. The pavilion was well stocked with everything you needed to prepare meals or enjoy a nice glass of wine. Honeymoon beach was spectacular for sunning, swimming and just hangin' and the Monday night movie was "rocky horror picture show" it was a blast. Joe’s beach bar and hangin with the local was really enjoyable, full of information and sometimes very comical. Heidi's hideaway burger platter is awesome. Mornings before boarding the ferry you can get a Heidi's hot breakfast sandwich and coffee right at the dock. While we enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere of water Island, we also flew to St. Croix, enjoyed Christiansted and saw the beer drinking pigs at the domino club. We took our rental car to St. john on the ferry made our way to Maho beach with a great picnic lunch were we swam with stingrays and sharks…..love being able to park beachside there. Deborah…..as Arnold Schwarzenegger would say “WE’LL BE BACK!!!!!!” Thanks for the toe rings, tee shirts and my floozie coozie. The welcome bag and gifts were gratefully appreciated as well as the dinner voucher and activity discounts. We used our dinner voucher for $50.00 at Hook Line and Sinker in Frenchtown on Nov 5th for my extravagant birthday lunch where I dined on lobster UUUUUUMMMMMM.
It was very hard leaving this vast paradise to come back to Philadelphia to freezing weather, the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, and the threat of nor’easter.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Patty,

Girlfriend, you do know how to party...you wore me out just talking about all the things you can do in one day!! What a way to spend your birthday.

I enjoyed our little "get together s" and of course you have great taste in toe rings!!

I hope you all will not wait 6 years for your return visit to the Virgin Islands...birthdays come every year!!

Please join us again and don't forget you will receive a 10% discount,

Reviewed November 1, 2012

The price was a little steep ($175/night for two nights) but it was well worth the tranquility. It's similar to a hostel set up with private bungalows, community open air kitchen and bath, a beautiful view from the shared pavilion of the water and St. Thomas. Easy access to beaches that were very quiet, aside from the occasional party boat tour on weekends. We were there in the off season so there was only one other guest at the time.

Room Tip: Get a cabin away from the kitchen area and computer room if you can.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elle-B99

Hello, and so glad you enjoyed your short stay at the Virgin Islands Campground...next time you must stay at least 3 nights to get the rate down to $115/night or stay 7 nights and the rate is only $99/night.

We appreciate your review and remember even with the rates above, you will receive a 10% discount on those rates as a returning guests...

We are looking forward to your return visit and an up grade to our "value" ranking!!

Reviewed October 21, 2012

The "campgrounds" at Virgin Island Campgrounds could be better described as Eco-Friendly Private Bungalows, they are nestled among mature tree's, and they offer sweeping views of St Thomas and the Caribbean Sea. The property is only a short walk away from Honeymoon Beach. The owners are very friendly and accommodating. The property along with the bungalow we stayed in was maintained very well and kept in a meticulous fashion. Our stay only lasted 3 days but the memories will last a lifetime! We look forward to another trip back to the campgrounds!

Thank you Paul and Deborah!!!

• Stayed: October 2012

I wish you could market our property...your words are amazing and thank you for the review...I may add Eco Friendly Private Bungalow to some of my descriptions...love that and loved your review.

Come and see us again. You will enjoy a 10% discount and of course I am looking forward to borrowing more of your romantic words.

You are most welcome...

Deborah and Paul

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed for four nights just recently and it is definitely the best place I have stayed on my whole US trip, this place is perfect. The owners are two of the sweetest people you'll meet and go out of their way to accommodate you.
A perfect place to go and relax in the hot tub, read in the hammock, and have a drink on your balcony overlooking the ocean. Amazing!
Also, go down to joes beach bar for a painkiller and Heidi's for the chicken sandwich!
Thank you for the great place to stay! I'll be back for sure!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Katie M

Dear Katie,

I am sure by now you are back into the "groove" of real life. We loved your stories about your country...so great to have so much time off to enjoy life...I think we forget to do that sometimes.

Thank you for the review and we are looking forward to your return visit. Be sure to bring other family members with you next time. I am sure we would enjoy them as much as we enjoyed you!!

And don't forget, a 10% discount on your return...

Deborah and Paul