“Paradise found”

Virgin Islands Campground
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Paradise found”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Its been nearly a month now since our visit to the VI campground and my wife and I still talk about our stay here at the campground and dreaming of the next time we can take a trip back. If you are reading this and debating on booking the reservation... PLEASE stop hestitating, do yourself a favor and book it at once. You will be glad you did it when you arrive.

My wife and I are from the DC area and needed a break from the everyday life in the city. Everything from the cottage to the beach was absolutely perfect and best of all, you dont feel like you are some number as you do at a resort.

PS - Don't forget to get your drink on at heidi's on the beach at 9am :)
And for lunch- Heidi's cheeseburger is HUGE and delicious (it was my cheesebuger in paradise)

Room Tip: renting a golf cart is a must and fun :)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
deborahquade, Owner at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
So it has taken me a while, but I did want to thank you for writing a review...I hope you still have fond memories of our place. We had a full house here Christmas and the people ( as always) were amazing...

Anyway, come back and see us. You will receive a 10% returning guest discount as a thank you from us.

Happy New Year!!

Deborah and Paul Quade

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

VI campground is the perfect place to stay! The cabins have everything you need in one tidy package. The views are excellent, it is quiet, yet easy to get to all the fun things to do on the islands. The people on Water Island are very friendly and helpful.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dear Wendy,

Thank you for your nice review...it is much appreciated. I'm sorry I have taken so long to respond...no excuses...

Remember upon your return you will receive a 10 % discount.

Happy New Year to you and your family.

Deborah
Albuquerque NM
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Don't miss Joe's Beach Bar....or the gourmet lunch on the beach at Heidi's Honeymoon Grill- we didn't bother to take a picnic as we got hooked on her tasty sandwiches etc. Also spend time at the campground, we loved the "pavillion" with amazing views where we enjoyed our Mojitos and making dinner with everything we could need handy. Deborah was a wealth of information and a friendly spirit in an organized, clean, eco-friendly environment. Even though we made a couple of day trips back to St. Thomas in the week we stayed on Water Island, we were always glad to get back to the campground.

Tip: We snorkeled to the far right at Honeymoon Beach and saw lots of fish and coral. We did not rent a golf cart and never missed it; we did a lot of walking, but Deborah, locals and other visitors often offered us a ride. How cool is that?

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Jonathan

Loved your pictures especially the one standing in the kitchen showing the chairs and view from the terrace...thank you.

Thanks for a nice review and please come back and enjoy your 10% discount we offer returning guests...and please note your 10th stay is free ( Yes, we actually awarded a 10th stay free to guests who comes almost twice a year...) It was way fun and we are looking forward to awarding a free stay to the next guest...we have some that are getting close!!

Happy New Year to you and yours.

State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 25, 2012

This trip was our first to the virgin islands, and it was a great success. VI campgrounds has to be the best place to stay on water island, secluded and private with all the amenities you could ever want. Mornings are wonderful - wake up with a view of the ocean and St. Thomas. We are definately going back!

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Justin W
Justin,

I want to thank you for your nice review...sorry it has taken so long. Please come back and join us and enjoy the 10% discount we offer returning guests.

Happy New Year to you all.

Deborah Quade
Collingswood, New Jersey
Reviewed May 7, 2012

First time to the virgin islands and I am so glad we found VI campground. It is set on Water Island which is truly heaven. None of the hustle or bustle you find in the main virgin islands, just sun, blue skies, cool breeze and great people. The Campground has done an amazing job implementing all many ecofriendly amenities including timed lights that run off the wind harnessed on site; captured rain water solar heated for showering, grey water toilet facilities.

We flew down with some frozen meats and cooked some meals on the bbq in the kitchen while mingling with other guests and enjoying drinks and laughs. Plenty of shopping in St. Thomas to stock the kitchen if you choose not to bring. I was impressed with the high quality selection of food available. I am extremely cautious to eat healthy/organic food and I had no problem on this island. We didn't make it, but I'm told there is a farmer's market on Sundays near Fortuna on St. Thomas where there are fresh, local grown, organic veggie options.

We visited Joe's Beach bar at least once a day/night and made great friends with the locals. Some nights back at the campground (about a 4 minute golf cart ride, about a 20 minute walk) we would wind down in the jacuzzi that sits up a few steps from the kitchen area under a blanket of stars.

We stayed in Cottage 1 which is a few steps from the jacuzzi, bathroom and kitchen, and had a great view of the ocean. Just a few yards from the main entrance there is also a covered deck with a hammock for two. Amazing.

I plan to make this an annual visit. If you need to relax and have some fun, I highly recommend VI - Water Islands and the VI Campgrounds. It is one of my all time favorite vacation spots.

Room Tip: Loved Cottage 1 which sits high and overlooks the ocean. The breeze is quite continuous and we were...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rachael m
deborahquade, Owner at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Dear Renee and Ted,

Thank you so much for the beautiful review ( You didn't tell me you were such a great writer!!). We are looking forward to your return visit. Remember, a 10 % discount is given to all returning guests. AND, we just gave a free trip to our guest who was returning for the 10th time!!! It sounds like you might be receiving the same discount on your 10 stay.

Deb and Paul
Bangor, Maine
Reviewed April 29, 2012

I told Deborah that i would write a horrible review ("the geckos are as big as dogs, the mosquitoes as big as bats ...") so no one would visit and we could keep this wonderful place to ourselves, but of course I can't do that. We had such a incredible, relaxing time, and the suite was so nice, complete with everything we needed, kitchenette and sitting area, private bathroom, bedroom with satellite TV and Internet. Nothing was better than having coffee every morning on our own deck, overlooking the ocean, Buck Island and St. Thomas. The bougainvillea, plumeria, and hibiscus were all in bloom, creating a riot of color. We loved the lushness of the landscaping, the privacy, the hammock pavilion! Deborah and Paul also made a wonderful suggestion for a snorkeling sail that we truly enjoyed. I was concerned about no air conditioning, but being on the windward side of the island was perfect. It was an outstanding vacation at a very special place, and we can't wait to return.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the suite very much for the privacy and view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeanne C
deborahquade, General Manager at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Dear Jeanne,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review our facility and most specifically the suite... We don't even know how guests feel until we read the reviews and it was nice reading about all the specifics you liked... We are looking forward to your return. Remember, returning guests recieve a 10 % discount and we are lucky enough to have you 9 times, your 10th stay will be free!! No Charge!! Complementary!! We just awarded a free stay to Mitch and Dave...it was so much fun!!!

Wheaton, Illinois, United States
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Staying at the Virgin Islands Campground was an amazing experience. I went in a group of 9 guys and we got two cabins. The rooms were great, and the open air-kitchen was so cool because it was sheltered from the weather, yet you still have a gorgeous view of the water and St. Thomas while you are grilling. Additional nice features include a hot tub and a hammock. It's a short walk from the two beaches. One is great for swimming (honeymoon beach) and it had a nice pavillion huge palm trees overlooking the water. the other beach was sweet for snorkeling and had some good coral structure. I would highly recommend this campground for any trip to the Virgin Islands, weather it is a honeymoon, family trip, or a trip with friends. Go Here!!!! You won't regret it.

P.S. If I was 21 I would have plopped myself down in a chair on the beach with my toes in the sand and a pail of ice cold coronas next to me. #Paradise

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
deborahquade, General Manager at Virgin Islands Campground, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Jesse, Thank you for your review...it was awesome...I think you were here in January? That is so nice you took the time to write and Wow! What a review...much appreciated.

Please let us know when you can join us again. Returning guest receive a 10% discount. I hope that will be you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Water Island
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
Sugar Bay Resort & Spa

Been to Virgin Islands Campground? Share your experiences!