We booked our trip as a last minute deal through Transun and stayed in both the Jussantupa and the Davvi Arctic Lodge (originally the Davvi had been our first choice but was already full for some of our stay so we spent four nights at the Hotel Jussantupa before transferring to the Davvi). Although the Davvi had beautiful surroundings, we enjoyed our stay at Jussantupa much more.
The Jussantupa was excellent!!! The accommodation was basic but comfortable, warm, and clean. Hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful and our Transun rep Georgina was fantastic (really cannot praise her enough, she went out of her way to ensure our group had an amazing time). The Jussantupa is slightly further from the airport (around an hour) but in our opinion the journey was WELL WORTH IT!!!! On arrival we stopped for a meal at the Davvi before travelling on to Hetta (because our flight had arrived late in the evening).
The food at Jussantupa was delicious and wholesome (much better than at the Davvi), self service meant that you could take as much as you want and there was always a good selection (three courses for each meal). The atmosphere in the dining room was lovely and we made many new friends during our trip. The hotel staff put the sauna on each evening which was lovely (recommend packing a swimming costume). Having read previous reviews we also went prepared with a travel kettle to make hot drinks in our room but the prices at the hotel bar were very reasonable and we spent several evenings relaxing in the bar with other members of the group before going out to watch the Northern Lights.
I agree that being on the ground floor can be noisy but we are both heavy sleepers and it only really bothered us in the mornings.
The excursions were amazing and in our experience far longer than we expected having read previous reviews (we spent around two hours at the reindeer farm, two hours with the huskies and around an hour on the snowmobiles - the duration of this trip was shorter due to the extreme temperatures on the ice river on the night we were there ~around minus 44 degrees). The durations were about right to prevent us from getting too cold!
The arctic suit certainly kept us warm but most of the time I found I needed at three layers underneath it (particularly for the visit to the reindeer farm). We found there was much more to see at Hetta than at Davvi and we enjoyed exploring by ourselves as well as on the organised trips. The husky farm and ice castle are only a very short drive away (we were driven by Dave who was brilliant).
On the return journey our flight was delayed due to adverse weather conditions in Manchester (slightly ironic given that the temperature in Kirona was minus 32 degrees!) but we were kept informed by the Transun staff who were available in the airport the whole time.
The holiday really was an experience of a lifetime, the place is beautiful and Transun staff made it a very relaxing time. Very highly recommended!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Jussan Tupa is a cozy and comfortable hotel that is open throughout the year. Whether it is work or leisure which brings you to Enontekio, you are guaranteed to feel at home at Jussan Tupa! The hotel has two public saunas, a swimming pool, and a third sauna with a living area and fire place, which can be booked for private occasions. At the restaurant, you can enjoy Lappish delicacies. There is a free WiFi for the guests. Hotel Jussan Tupa is located in the administrative centre of Enontekio, called Hetta. All the most important services are located at the very proximity of the hotel. The 'Vuollikka' restaurant by the Lake Ounasjarvi can be booked for large private events. Its beautiful location offers the perfect setting for any celebration. There is also a traditional Lappish 'kota', which seats 30 people comfortably. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Hotel Jussantupa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jussantupa Hotel Enontekiö
- Hotel Jussantupa Finland/Lapland - Enontekio