“Almost excellent”
Review of Magnus & Magnus

Magnus & Magnus
Reserve with
Magnus & Magnus is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 1,267 Restaurants in Gothenburg
Cuisines: French, Scandinavian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Magnus & Magnus or M2 is a cosy restaurant in the hart of Gothenburg with a capacity of 44 seats. We have been there for 15 years and established ourselves on Magasinsgatan. The kitchen serves a mix of Asian, French & Scandinavian dishes in a relaxed atmosphere both suitable for business & romantic dinnersOur speciality is the M2 "4" menu with pairing wine menuWe are open Monday-Saturday During the weekend we have 2 seatingsPlease make a reservation to avoid disappointmentKind regardsM2
Aarhus, Denmark
“Almost excellent”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I didn't have much time in Gothenburg, but I wanted to check out Magnus & Magnus because of its reputation. I arrived at 6pm when it opened and thought the place would soon be crowded but apart from Magnus himself and what looked like a couple of friends, I as the only diner in a room that was comfortable but perhaps trying a bit too hard to be hip.
The service, given that I had it almost entirely to myself was impeccable and very charming. I was recommended a Reisling that was exactly what I felt like drinking - although, this being Sweden, the price for all drinks was extortionate - and never felt like I was either being smoothered or ignored. Perfect.
As for the food, it consisted of well thought out combinations, that were certainly not short on flavour but were at the same time not innovative for the sake of it. The amuse-gueule, described as a French Onion Soup was smooth, savoury and woke up my appetite just enough. I chose a first course described as Asparagus, Goats' Cheese, Rhubarb, Licourice - which was sensational: lemony white asparagus with shavings of rhubarb and celery, slightly smokey cheese, and a browned butter foam. However the starter was matched, if not surpassed by the house breads (a flat bread, baggette and a sensational fruit rye bread), accompanied by chicken liver paté with pickles and some more browned butter. The palate-cleansing spoon of lemon granita was perfect and I had high hopes for my main course of Norwegian cod with cauliflower, smoked browned butter, cauliflower, hazelnut and chicken. However, it was not quite at the same level of flavour and combination. That is not to say it wasn't competant, it was, however, it just did not have the same verve. And by this stage, the reliance on what seems to be a signature browned butter was becoming too much - it is even in one of the deserts, for which I had no room or time. A trio of cute little sweets with the bill was quite enough!
Overall, Magnus and Magnus is an excellent restaurant, if not quite at the top level, with charming service, but they do need to reconsider the seeming ubiquity of browned butter in their dishes...

• Visited May 2013

• Turkish first
Göteborg
“M&M”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Vent to M&M with a dear friend, this after been turned down at a close by restaurang. I must say, with the serivce, nice food, nice presentations I would higly recomend this place for others. The only negative was possible a pretty small table for the large plates. However, easy forgotten considering the rest.

• Visited May 2013
Gothenburg, Sweden
“Very good Food and wine”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

The food is very good as well as the suggested wines. Service was very attentive, it may have helped that we were there a weekday.In the summer thee is a very cool yard.

• Visited May 2012
Somerset
“Fibonacci's epicurian adventure”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Ali and have been lucky to eat in some fantastic places, this was the best meal Ali has ever had; it was pretty close for me, top five.
The waitress was confident, welcoming without being intrusive a rare skill. The four course (plus amuse bouche) taster menu with 'posh' wine was £80 per head, amazing value.
They asked us we sat at our table (admittedly booked weeks in advance) and asked us for dietary requirements, I'm no dairy or shell fish, I had forgotten to tell them. Changes made food still amazing. The wine was well matched and of great quality, my only reservation was the red with the main was a little young, but that is a bit churlish. We will go to Gothenburg to eat here.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank KeithESomerset
Florence, Italy
“Tasty even though a bit costy!!:)”
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful atmosphere and a really good selection of wines from the must-have selection.
Quality of food is very high and the presentation does not lack anything.

Also very good for gluten-free travellers!

The only drawback: it is a bit expensive overall (approx. 60€ excluding drinks for the 4 courses set menu) and a low quantity/price ratio.

Your taste will be satisfied!!!