“Want a taste of Swedish elegance ? Pick this charming place !!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Avalon Hotel

Avalon Hotel
Ranked #3 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
Toronto, Canada
“Want a taste of Swedish elegance ? Pick this charming place !!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2009

I stayed at this elegant hotel for 3 nights. It's located a few steps off the city's main shopping street (Kungsport Avenue). Since I spent 80% of the 3rd day in the hotel itself I think I can say that this is one of the most peaceful places one can stay in in Goteborg. Althought the tram passes by the hotel's side every now and then, one rarely feel its presence. The hotel has a cosy restaurant (it carries a Michelin star by the way) that offers a good full breakfast buffet. People who work there all smile and really do enjoy what they are doing...
I stayed in Room 7, a deluxe room with a very cute Red theme. ALL rooms are Feng Shui approved and the furniture settings in there give you a sense of serenity day & night. There's a big terrace with wooden flooring that you can enjoy a morning coffee on during the summer months (I even enjoyed it out there a few days ago when it was 13C).
The ice machine is just outside the door, and I know this sounds too trivial, but I loved the oval ice pieces that icemaker made :)
If you walk out of the main entrance about 30m to the right then another 50m to the left, there's Systemborget, a very interesting wine store that carries a huge selection of wines (and beers from all EU breweries). To the left of the entrance is a good pharmacy that opens its doors early in the morning, and some really nice coffee shops along Kungsportavenyn.
If there's one thing I would want improved at Avalon, it would be room service dining... where not much is offered on the menu except for 1-2 types of sandwiches and a salad.
They say the Elite & Park are luxury stuff, but I walked by them in the evening and I just didn't like their busy entrance with all the pedestrians blocking the cars' paths... plus the buildings looked like they were Dr. Hyde's laboratory ! :)
Avalon:I don't think I'm staying anywhere else when I come back to lovely Goteborg.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Kongsberg, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2009

Booked superior room with minispa for a romantic little holiday.

The room was very good with plenty of space for the two of us. We had a very nice stay with great beds, well equipped room and a lot to do within just a few minutes of walking. The expectations for the room and the hotel was high, but we were only positive surprised after the arrival. Breakfast was very good, and the restaurant excellent.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Malmö
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2009

Booked a superior room for a romantic weekend with my fiance.
We came too early to check in but the staff where very helpful and delivered our luggage to our room while we spent some hours in the shopping district close to the hotel.
The location is great, in the city center of Gothenburg.
When we saw the room, we just smiled, it was perfect! The bathtub in the center of the room worked as a minispa, though there was no shower cream kit wchich you expect in a hotel like this.
The room is decorated acording to Feng Shui, wchich doesn't really matter to me, otherwhise the room felt big, modern and with nice bright colors. If you think of it before you book, you can "order" your bed with the hardness that suits you. I the room there is also lots of pillows with different hardness and shapes so that you can find your own favorite.
The breakfast was good with great stand, worked for me, but I've been to better ones.
As I said in the beginning, service was great. For an example they started a whole research for which programs that went on tv that night, when we decided to stay in a rainy evening. Cute!
If I come back to Gothenburg, this is definitely the hotel I will book!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2008

Where to start... we arrived early as our flight was an early morning flight. Our room was ready and the check in procedure smooth. Our room was on the 5th floor, with a balcony and view of the shopping street below. The room was lovely - huge bed, full length mirrors, safe, LCD TV (with loads of channels, most of them in English! Bonus!) free chocolates and lovely Swedish design furniture.
Breakfast was included and was a typical European breakfast but with Swedish meatballs, which were delicious.
The hotel is literally in the centre of town; an early morning taxi ride on the Saturday was SEK305 from Gothenburg City Airport, I think this was a fixed price as Sundays taxi was SEK550!
Staff were friendly, helpful and gave us a late checkout on Sunday (2pm) at no extra charge.
All in all, this was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in.
If you have reason to go to Gothenburg, stay at The Avalon.

• Liked — Everything - location, room, the whole package
  • Disliked — Checking out :(
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2008

This design hotel was quite funky and had an excellent vibe. Corridors were a little bit dark and wound around in circles, but the strange carpet and artworks made them interesting.
Our room was small but very comfortable. My only criticism was that our bathroom door hit the bed and didn't fully open.
Staff were really, really friendly.
Our dinner experience at the restaurant was our best meal in Sweden for service and flavour. Can't rate it highly enough! Plus the breakfast buffet was extensive and exquisite. Two thumbs up.
The hotel is in the city centre and next door to Saluhalle (the gourmet market) so the location couldn't be better. And who can complain about the amazing glass bottom pool that juts out over a15 storey drop! Tres cool.

• Liked — The location and the restaurant.
  • Disliked — The rooms were beautiful but very small.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2008

Good location within walking distance of what there is to see in Gothenberg (not much actually but the art gallery just 10 mins walk away is good).
Having read other reports I was expecting something special from this hotel. The corridors are fun and quirky with modern prints and odd carpet covering long winding corridors. The restaurant is bog standard tho with tables creeping out on to the street (useful for sitting sunbathing and killing time when the sun is out). I was not inspired by the menu so did not even try it out, breakfast was a very basic affair with hardly any service, coffee served on the terrace was also only just drinkable. No gym albeit there is a small pool and terrace on the roof accesses via a spiral staircase which older people or kids could be at risk on.

I had a superior room. If you read earlier reports and get excited re themed, unusual rooms- you have to go for the superior level more expensvie rooms (overpriced versus other 5 star hotels) -as the standard rooms are basic, modern and small and would be a major disappointment I expect for anyone crammed in to them. The superior rooms are well designed- good to look at altho not overly comfortable. Style v comfort and some rather bright colours...

I suspect there may be better hotels in Gothenberg than this. If going on holiday- you may want to think about do you really want to go there as there is really not much to see or do.

• Liked — some unusual features
  • Disliked — price, comfort, lack of facilities
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Newcastle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2008

Avalon hotel is spot on. As a 'design hotel' it is modern, cool and quirky. We got a great deal on a 'business king' room which had a huge bed, choice of 4 different types of pillow and a smart 'wet room' bathroom. The room also had a kettle - which we now know is rare in Scandanavia - and a mini fridge.
The location is ideal - walking distance to everywhere but right by a tram stop and the main tourist information office. There are plenty of bars and restaurants nearby but the hotel was still peaceful. The roof top pool is small and unheated but would be fantastic in good weather (we didn't get much!).
I'd recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — Fanstastic comfortable room
  • Disliked — Fishy smell in the lobby
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple