“Very good and reasonably priced”
Review of Spar Hotel Majorna

Spar Hotel Majorna
Ranked #17 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Very good and reasonably priced”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Overall the standard of this hotel was very good. The staff were excellent - helpful and friendly. The breakfasts were aslo excellent. A plentiful supply of Swedish delicacies and international food that was topped up regularly as more guests came to eat. My bedroom was a good size as was the bathroom. Both very clean. The negative things were:
- A lack of cupboards/drawers to unpack your luggage. As I was staying a week on business I would have appreciated drawer space as most of my things had to stay in my suitcase.
- Lack of bathroom facilities. There was one container of soap/shower gel but it was not of the best quality and wouldn't foam up. I hadn't brought with me shower gel as I expected at least this would be available but after a couple of days I had to buy some as my skin was getting vey dry.
Apart from these small points I was very satisfied.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
TWibeck, Hotelldirektör at Spar Hotel Majorna, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear guest,

thank you for your positive comments.

I will take your comments regarding the shower gel and discuss it within the team, maybe it is time for a change?

Welcome back

Terese Wibeck

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

Room is acceptable. What is not is the minibar is missing. Water only from the public net..... Restaurant not attractive. Air in the hotel is viced. Spa is poor. Price quite high compared to the service received. Position not too far from the centrum. Some nice place not so far to eat. Internet easily available for more than one device. Bill to be paied in advance. Temperature in the room ok. Noise from outside acceptable....

Stayed December 2013
Dear guest,

thank you for your review.
We do not offer minibars in our rooms, our largest rooms have a minifridge that the guest can fill up with whatever he/she wants. We do not offer a spa, we have an excersise rooms with gym eguipment and a sauna, so if you were expecting a spa I can understand you were dissapointed.
In our rooms we offer our guests tap water, since Sweden has one of the best tap waters in the world and for environmental purposes. However in our bar we also offer bottled mineral water from a Swedish producer.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We were met at Spar Hotel by a very friendly staff and very Swedish design. The room was clean and comfortable, as was the bathroom. The bed was super comfy, as well. The rooms are not huge as many Americans might be used to, but are very functional and make good use of the tight space, as the Swedish are known for. The hotel is a small 15 minute tram ride to the City Center where most of the action stems from. With the reasonable rate on the room, we were more than happy to make the short tram ride, which ran every 5 minutes or so. The complimentary breakfast was phenomenal and only added to the value. The location provided a nice base camp away from all of the noise and hustle-bustle of the City Center. Overall, Spar Hotel made our stay in Gothenburg a welcome and lovely one.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I stayed in this hotel in end October 2013. This hotel is clean but as my title suggests, it's sparse.

Sparse - no toiletries provided. The basics like toothbrush, toothpaste, shaver were omitted.
Sparse - no complimentary room slippers provided.
Sparse - no cupboard, no safe provided only 3 hangers were supplied

The room is incredibly small and the bed just goes with the size of the room. The bed was so small that I was afraid that I might fall off it while sleeping. The room was clean but how hard is it to clean such a small room? But hey, I can't complain or expect much for the money I paid right?

Breakfast hours officially start at 630am but from 5am onwards, you can proceed to have it but the choice would be limited. The food is good and I enjoyed the generous choices of bread available.

There is a gym on the top floor but the equipment is nothing to shout about. One threadmill, one exercise bike, couple of weights. There is also a sauna in the gym. What irritated me was the contradicting instructions provided by the different staff manning the reception. When I checked in, I was told that the gym was opened 24 hours and I needed a card programmed to unlock it. The next morning around 430am, (I couldn't sleep because of jet lag) I went down to request for a card to access the gym. I was told it only opened at 630am. Ok fine, I thought to myself. Later I found out from another guest that the gym is actually opened 24 hours and I do not need a special access card to enter the gym. So I tried my luck on my 2nd morning at 530am. True enough, the gym could be accessed with my room card. So different stories from different receiptionists. I wasted one morning of exercise.

There are some pubs and restaurants around the area. The tram station is only about 200m away from the hotel. You can hop on it and in 20 plus mins, you would be at the city centre.

Stay in this hotel if you are one that expect no frills or if you are on a budget.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
TWibeck, Hotelldirektör at Spar Hotel Majorna, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear guest,

thank you for your review on your stay with us.

We have recently changed the opening hours of our gym and it seems not all staff members have been informed. I am truly sorry for the inconvenience this caused you. The gym is open daily from 07:00-23:00, and you use your roomkey to get in.
Spar Hotel is a budget hotel and in our product we do not offer toiletries or slippers in all rooms, but we have a few items available complimentary at the reception, and we are more than happy to provide this for guests who wish to have it.
We have 6 different roomtypes in the hotel so for your next visit I hope we can offer you a larger room.
Welcome back to Spar Hotel,

Melbourne
Reviewed September 9, 2013

The Spar Hotel Majorna is in a part of town that used to be where the maritime workers lived and is now a fashionable place to live. We liked being away from the business of the old town tourist area but we still weren't more than 15 mins away from the city centre by tram. The Maritime Museum is just up the road and there was a supermarket and a few restaurants within easy walking distance.

To get there from the central station take tram 11 and get off at Stigbergstorget (9 stops from the central station) or trams 3 or 9 and get off at Chapmanstorget (11 stops from the central station).

The front desk were friendly and generous with maps and tips on where to go.

The room was smallish but big enough or a few days. It was a little worn and dated but not badly so.

We loved the breakfast which had a wide variety of Swedish breakfast foods, including some gluten free. There were eggs and bacon, lots of types of bread and plenty of cold meats, plus a waffle maker and batter.

They had thoughtfully even allocated space in the children's play room with a mini buffet with a few child friendly breakfast choices. There were tables in the play room for parents to eat at and this play room was right next door to the main dining room. I imagine this would be a very relaxing way to start the day if you had small children.

Room Tip: Swedish buildings are built to withstand long, cold winters and can get a bit warm in summer. Be pre...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MelbourneKaz
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

The second time I have stayed there, both on business. It seams the 8th floor has been recently renovated and the rooms are perfect.
Breakfast is good, the only small issue was not getting WiFi on the 8th floor.

• Stayed September 2013
TWibeck, Hotelldirektör at Spar Hotel Majorna, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear guest,

thank you for your positive remarks regarding your stay with us.
We´ve had some problems with the wifi during summer but I am happy to report that since two weeks the wifi is up and running perfectly in the whole house.
I am to see you soon again,

Spar Hotel Majorna & Spar Hotel Gårda
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed September 5, 2013

The rooms at this hotel are small (I'm a petite female, and I think the rooms are small) so make sure that you know that before you book a room. I was prepared for the small size because I'd stayed at a hotel in Copenhagen before checking into the Spar Hotel Majorna. I think the room size works for one person, but I can't imagine it working for more than one person.

Even though the rooms were smaller than what I would have liked, I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The staff was friendly, nice and very professional. They helped me navigate the trams and recommended nice areas to go for lunch and dinner.

The room I had was tastefully decorated and quite pleasant. The bed was comfortable, and the room and bathroom were spotless. I have stayed at 4 star hotels that were not as clean as this hotel. I also enjoyed the breakfast (except for the scrambled eggs) that was included in the room rate. Wireless was also included in the room rate and worked well.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at this hotel and recommend it to any solo traveler. I's a great bargain.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

thank you for your positive comments regarding your stay with us.
We have six different roomtypes, so for your next visit we can hopefully offer you a larger room to better accomodate your needs.
We hope to see you soon again,

kind regards