All reviews sailing ship upper deck ship hotel unique place to stay shopping centre other hotels stayed for two nights nice breakfast single bed cold meats cabin novelty reception aboard masts city moored
Selected filters
Reviewed November 11, 2018 via mobile

I have been for two nights with my son, who is 9Y, and I have to say that we enjoyed. Good bed comfort, nice breakfast, good staff service.
Overall better than expected, at a reasonable price.
I recommend it!

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed October 9, 2018

The hotel is a unique place to stay but it does have some drawbacks.

It is in a quiet area so noise will not bother you but lacks coffee and tea in the rooms. While they say they have coffee etc in public areas they just mean they put a pot out and leave it. We arrived back one night after 10pm and found the small amount left was cold. The front desk closes early and after that finding a member of staff will be hard.

That said the staff are quite helpful and the breakfast buffet is not huge it does have a decent selection of food with some hot choices.

If I travelled to Gothenburg again I would probably look for another hotel but I would not mind staying again if I could not find another option.

Date of stay: October 2018
Reviewed September 22, 2018

A very good bed. Slept like a king. The personael was very friendly and serviceminded. Very good quality of the food. The breakfast is as expected from from a good hotel.
It is situated in the middle of Gothenburg with only a few minutes walking distance to many places, shops and communications.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed September 21, 2018

I made 1-month advance reservation for this hotel but they didn't inform me that the reception would be closed at 9 pm. We arrived at 9:10 pm and made many phone calls but no answer ! We stayed in room 222 and its small. Breakfast was basic. Never stay again.

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for a couple of nights at the beginning of August, I wanted somewhere different and this appeared to fit the bill nicely.
The pictures on the website show nice comfortably rooms and a homely feel, the reality is unfortunately not quite what it appears, don't get me wrong I enjoyed the stay and it was comfortable but could have been much better.
Now, the ship is over 100 years old and is entitled to show some wear and tear, but much of the wear and tear is simply just neglect, it's everywhere, dust in the room, rotting door, peeling paint and just feels forgotten, it's crying out to be pampered and loved.
My room was covered in dust, the shower room wasn't exactly appealing and the complementary offerings were...well....different.
The upper decks are littered with seriously weather worn furniture and parts of the main deck are starting to rot.
The upper bar looks grubby and offers a small selection of beverages.
The breakfast selection was small and included a couple of different cold meats some sliced cheese, fruit and the usual cereal which my son refused to eat as it was soft.
The staff however are excellent, friendly and helpful.
I had no problem with any bugs as on a previous review but I did find the level of cleaning some what lacking.
I slept well, the beds were comfy and the location is free from traffic noise, it is also close to the shopping centre, parking is limited but rumours are that it isn't wise to leave a car overnight, which comes to my next issue.
Around the quay and the shopping centre seems to be a meeting point for various immigrant gangs, I saw various groups congregating over my couple of days, a Google search made me come to a decision not the go out at night, I had my son with me and I wasn't prepared to take that risk, so we kept all our itinerary to daylight only, the return walk to the shop is to isolated to do at night, especially alone or with young children.
So in summery I had an enjoyable stay even and managed to fit in what I needed to, and I was made welcome, but the barken needs a little bit of tlc to warrant the room rate.
If your looking for a little bit of luxury this isn't the place, in fact I'd avoid Gothenburg all together, it has to many issues and feels on edge, not a place to get lost in.
If you are set on going to Gothenburg do some research before hand, check out parking if your bringing a car and if you intend on having nights out keep to a central hotel which has plenty of people around.
As the title suggests it is a novelty, but not one that I'll be returning to.

Date of stay: August 2018