“Low Quality Hotel”

Ranked #61 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
Uxbridge
“Low Quality Hotel”
Reviewed August 10, 2006

My business colleague and I were booked at this hotel during the European Athletic Championships, when Gothenburg is absolutely packed and it is very hard to find any accommodation centrally.

Let's start with some positives: it is very central, right in the heart of the city. From the outside the building looks fine. Despite everything else the bedrooms appeared to be reasonably clean, albeit my colleague's room was not cleaned on a daily basis.

The hotel starts on the 1st floor of the block. On arriving in the Reception area I was advised that they had no record of my booking, despite it being booked at the same time as that of my colleague. Some forty minutes later the guy in Reception, after much shrugging, and muttering 'impossible', and various phone calls, declared that he could offer me a room without shower or bath for that night, a move to another room with shower the following night, and a move on my last night to another room with shower.

All accommodation has to be paid for in advance.

Under any other circumstances we would have already left anyway. But then not only would the company have picked up any difference, but quite frankly I would have done so myself. As it was I retired to my room without shower for the night..

The room was the most basic I have stayed in (OK I'm probably spoilt). Wooden laminate floors, very, very cheap furniture (previous review suggesting 10 yr old IKEA was being insulting to IKEA!)., and very poor, and old, standard of decoration etc. But it was adequate and although the shower arrangements were inconvenient it was ok for the one night.

Noise levels are substantial. OK, I accept that a fair amount of this was due to the hugely swollen night time activity from the Games. But never-the-less, with trams running outside of your window, and a lively night time club atmosphere it is very noisy, unless you want to keep your window jammed shut in your non air conditioned room.

Th next night I got an "upgrade" and found myself in the smallest hotel bedroom I have ever been in. The bed could only fit one way (along the length of the room). The door was at the foot of the bed, the window at the head. The bed was hard against the right-hand wall, with just enough space to walk down the left hand side. However, because there is a radiator under the window, it was impossible to push the bed against that end (eg to avoid the pillows falling off the end of the bed), or to put a headboard there. Therefore, bizarrrely they had screwed a headboard along the long-side of the wall... The TV was on a shelf just large enough to hold it. My wardrobe was approximately half the width of a normal single wardrobe. There was no room for a chair, nevermind a desk.

The bathroom was tiny with a corner shower that flooded all of
the floor area as, apart from anything else, the shower curtain ended approx 6 inches from the floor.

I was disappointed to be told that I would not be moving to a third room, as by then I had arrived at a theory that based on the diminishing size of the rooms, the next night I would be sleeping in a Broom Cupboard.

Breakfast is a very simple cold buffet, eaten in tiny canteen type rooms. If one thing summed up the experience for me it is the fact that they water down their Fruit Juice! The second thing was that the pictures of bedrooms etc shown both in the material displayed on the walls of the hotel, and in the guide book in the actual rooms, bore no resemblance to any rooms that myself or my colleague actually saw.

This is a tired, tired hotel, with holes in the corridor carpets. It is in desperate need of some investment. Because of the Games, when no doubt that every hotel is trying to boost its revenue, I paid SEK 1000 per night - a complete, and utter rip off.

Under other circumstances, if you say have a large family, and a very limited budget, providing you can get a VERY competitive rate this may be answer for you for a short stay. Apart from which I cannot in any way reccommend this hotel to you.

But I would like to emphasise that based on my brief stay, Gothenburg is a fine city, with nice people, and under normal circumstances there are many good hotels to choose from.

Good luck!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't go there
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed March 23, 2006

Well, the location is not to complain about, as it is about 100 metres from the central train station. Rooms are OK, a bit lower than average swedish hotels, (who in generel have a very high level of comfort, internationally compared). During the night I made good use of my earplugs, heard pretty much from the corridor and/or next room. But all in all good value/great location considering the price!

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed August 20, 2004

Having read the previous review I was a bit anxious about going to Hotel Robinson. However I was pleasantly surprised, the hotel is situated in a very beautiful old house in the middle of everything. The room was OK but could need some improving - the curtains were slightly torn and the furniture was probably bought at IKEA 10 years ago. The breakfast was adequate and the staff was pleasant.
The best about this hotel is the location and the price - I paid 695 SEK about $90/€75 a night for a triple room - 2 adults and 1 child. That's about 40% cheaper than the other hotels in the area. Of course the room standard in Hotel Robinson can't match the standard of the more expensive hotels nearby, but it's good value for your money.

Consider this hotel if you are looking for a budget alternative in a very good location. However don't expect any luxuries.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 6, 2003

I expeded 10 days in Hotel Robison, and for mewas the worse place I never been. Cost a single bedroom without bathroom, 550,00Swedish Kroner. The hotel is old, the carpet stink,you have to pay in advance, never i see the cleanlady use the vacun cleaner, many 3 times I had to ask to change the bed clothes. Many time is nobodyin the reception. The bathroom outside was not clean. Horrible place for me and experience also.Silvana.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Gothenburg hotels