“City-Center Location is perfect, but being in the middle of a renovation - not so much...”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Robinson

Hotel Robinson
Hotel Robinson
Ranked #61 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
Gothenburg, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

POSITIVE. The location in the heart of Gothenburg is outstandingly great! It's one building block hosting both Hotel Robinson and Hotel Palace, which I stayed in. Just a 4 minute walk to the central station, where you easily take the train to the capital, i.e. Stockholm (a 3 hours ride). Also you have all the trams and buses to go anywhere around the city, just a 2 minute walk from the hotel. The easiest way to buy public transport tickets is by visiting the little round house in the middle of the square in front of the Central station. They will also explain how the ticket-system work. From the hotel it's just a 4 minutes walk to the big shopping mall "Nordstan". Here you also can park your car (at a special hotel-rate) since the hotel doesn't have any parking facility. Just outside the hotel entrance and around the corner you have plenty of restaurants/pubs to choose from as well as small shops. Don't miss the seafood while in Gothenburg! It's famous all over Sweden for it! Breakfast was plenty, buffet-like, with fruits, cereals', yoghurt, bread, juice, coffee, tea, and the like, but no a-la-cart omelets', nor any other hot dishes.

NEGATIVE. The hotel is undergoing a huge renovation (October 2013), which will be excellent when completed (within a year), but for now it's like a big building-site and dust is all over the hallways. I stayed in a room (205 - Hotel Palace) with shared bathroom/shower/toilet in the corridor, which is a big disadvantage. The walls in my room were also thin, which allowed me to overhear the sound of the lovers next door. The bathrooms in the corridor will absolutely benefit from the renovation....(say no more), or even better if they change the concept to have separate bathrooms in each hotel-room.

Room Tip: Try to get another room than 205, or those on that floor, i.e. the "budget"-ones, with cor...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Kirkkonummi, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2010

The Location couldn't be better. The Rooms are quite small and noisy due to the location. IKEA furniture. Good beds, good Breakfast.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Classe W
Lindesberg, Sweden
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2010

We had booked a junior-suite at this hotel for one night,for our romantic away-from-home weekend, but when we came into the room, we were very disappointed. The room was dirty,dirt on the floor,the furniture was dirty and sticky, stains all over the sofa... If I book a junior-suite,I take for granted that the room has a minibar, and is cosy and nicelly furished. So was not the case here. No minibar, and very tiny tv, mis-matching bed and sidetables.. I could go on and on...but I'm not gonna. So we took our luggage and went down to the reception, and said we didnt want to stay here,that we would find another hotel. The receptionist didnt even ask why!! :O I'll never ever book a room at this "hotel" again, and I will certainly not recommend this to anyone!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Gothenburg hotels

West Kilbride, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2010

Me and my friend had one night in Gothenburg on our way home from Stockholm, and finding anything for under £100 a night was a task (with even hostel comming in a £50-60 a night!) so for £5 extra we booked a basic room for £70 in this hotel.

The actual hotel is really nice, with good clean rooms. As wetook the baisc room, our room had no toilet or shower in it, but that was in the hallway just across from our room.

Staff are really helpful and inviting!

Location-wise it is brilliant! Less than 5 minutes walk from the train and bus station, though the street infront of the hotel was getting roadworks done to it, so at 5am the workers started their work (this is probably the only bad thing I have to say).

Once checked in and seen your room, the hotel is within easy walking distance of all of what Gothenburg has to offer.

If I was to visit again, I think I would pay the extra £10 again and stay in the SAS Raddison Blue just across the street (other friends stayed here and they were £90 for a twin room)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2010

Stayed here on a recent business trip to Gothenburg and was pleasantly surprised- I was not sure what to expect as the price was almost too good to be true! I had a room with private bath, but they had shared bathroom options as well. decent sized room and bathroom. Breakfast very nice, good free wi-fi. were very gracious to let me check in very early as I arrived for an appointment that wound up being cancelled. Had two twin beds pushed together so felt like a big bed. Very close to shopping, dining, and central station. Will stay here again!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2008

The hotel Robinson is undergoing more redecoration and to be fair, it needs it.

The hotel is very central and has a Euro Carpark 2 minutes walk away. (180SEK per 24hrs). The avenue with its shops and restaurants and the Station are all just minutes away.

As you walk into the hotel, it looks dreadful! The reception is on the 1st floor and if I had not already been booked in, I doubt I'd have bothered to go on. You have to prepay, but the receptionist - Anne- was very friendly and spoke perfect English (My Swedish is non-
existent). coffee & biscuits, internet and TV are all available 24hrs in the small lounge.

My room was small and basic, but it was clean and the bed was very comfortable. I only stayed one night as I was on business, but I could easily have stayed for a long weekend and the few staff I met were very friendly. Above all the room was cheap; just 695 SEK.

The brouchure shows much better rooms and they might be a better option for couples or for longer stays.

I would most certainly stay there again!

• Liked — location & friendliness
  • Disliked — Entrance area
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Uxbridge
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2006

My business colleague and I were booked at this hotel during the European Athletic Championships, when Gothenburg is absolutely packed and it is very hard to find any accommodation centrally.

Let's start with some positives: it is very central, right in the heart of the city. From the outside the building looks fine. Despite everything else the bedrooms appeared to be reasonably clean, albeit my colleague's room was not cleaned on a daily basis.

The hotel starts on the 1st floor of the block. On arriving in the Reception area I was advised that they had no record of my booking, despite it being booked at the same time as that of my colleague. Some forty minutes later the guy in Reception, after much shrugging, and muttering 'impossible', and various phone calls, declared that he could offer me a room without shower or bath for that night, a move to another room with shower the following night, and a move on my last night to another room with shower.

All accommodation has to be paid for in advance.

Under any other circumstances we would have already left anyway. But then not only would the company have picked up any difference, but quite frankly I would have done so myself. As it was I retired to my room without shower for the night..

The room was the most basic I have stayed in (OK I'm probably spoilt). Wooden laminate floors, very, very cheap furniture (previous review suggesting 10 yr old IKEA was being insulting to IKEA!)., and very poor, and old, standard of decoration etc. But it was adequate and although the shower arrangements were inconvenient it was ok for the one night.

Noise levels are substantial. OK, I accept that a fair amount of this was due to the hugely swollen night time activity from the Games. But never-the-less, with trams running outside of your window, and a lively night time club atmosphere it is very noisy, unless you want to keep your window jammed shut in your non air conditioned room.

Th next night I got an "upgrade" and found myself in the smallest hotel bedroom I have ever been in. The bed could only fit one way (along the length of the room). The door was at the foot of the bed, the window at the head. The bed was hard against the right-hand wall, with just enough space to walk down the left hand side. However, because there is a radiator under the window, it was impossible to push the bed against that end (eg to avoid the pillows falling off the end of the bed), or to put a headboard there. Therefore, bizarrrely they had screwed a headboard along the long-side of the wall... The TV was on a shelf just large enough to hold it. My wardrobe was approximately half the width of a normal single wardrobe. There was no room for a chair, nevermind a desk.

The bathroom was tiny with a corner shower that flooded all of
the floor area as, apart from anything else, the shower curtain ended approx 6 inches from the floor.

I was disappointed to be told that I would not be moving to a third room, as by then I had arrived at a theory that based on the diminishing size of the rooms, the next night I would be sleeping in a Broom Cupboard.

Breakfast is a very simple cold buffet, eaten in tiny canteen type rooms. If one thing summed up the experience for me it is the fact that they water down their Fruit Juice! The second thing was that the pictures of bedrooms etc shown both in the material displayed on the walls of the hotel, and in the guide book in the actual rooms, bore no resemblance to any rooms that myself or my colleague actually saw.

This is a tired, tired hotel, with holes in the corridor carpets. It is in desperate need of some investment. Because of the Games, when no doubt that every hotel is trying to boost its revenue, I paid SEK 1000 per night - a complete, and utter rip off.

Under other circumstances, if you say have a large family, and a very limited budget, providing you can get a VERY competitive rate this may be answer for you for a short stay. Apart from which I cannot in any way reccommend this hotel to you.

But I would like to emphasise that based on my brief stay, Gothenburg is a fine city, with nice people, and under normal circumstances there are many good hotels to choose from.

Good luck!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't go there