“It can be better”

Hotell Liseberg Heden
Ranked #32 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 13, 2012

In first place I do not like the Swedish bad habit that to book a room you have to pay it in advance.
The hotel is conveniently located but the area is ugly and the hotel located in an huge parking. The staff is nice, the room clean and spatious. They have problems with the car parking and indeed the second night there was no space for us. The breakfast should be better and they have to improve the overall quality, poor choice for sweeties.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 4, 2012

My son(10) and I stayed at this otel for two nights in July.

The room was quite small. We had a double room. The bathroom too was small and there was no air-condition, but with this year's Scandinavian summer it was not a prolem.
Otherwise the room was clean and fresh. The breakfast buffet had a good variety of choices, but if you eat late it is a bit chaotic.
We visited Liseberg and it was only 10 minutes walk away. Also a short 5 minute walk will bring you to "Aveny'n" where the restaurants and shopping begins.

All in all a very nice stay.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Hotell Liseberg Heden for one week. We found the hotel to be clean and a bit different from from the typical high rise hotels which normally have several floors. Hotel Liseberg Heden is basically a single level hotel and the architecture gives the property a bit of a cottage feel rather than a high rise. There are several courtyards throughout the hotel which are a nice touch. The hotel feels a bit like a Bed and Breakfast type property rather than a chain hotel. We found the staff to be pleasant and helpful. The hotel was clean and the breakfast selection was very good. We would recommend Hotell Liseberg Heden and would definitely stay at this property again.

1  Thank PT169
Reviewed July 19, 2012

This hotel is ideally positioned midst in between the Liseberg amusement park and the old city. It has certain charm and very polite staff. Rooms are however tiny, and I could not notice that the air ventilation is not working at all. I am not talking about air conditioning, which is not installed in this hotel, but plain air circulation. The long corridors between the rooms are particularly bad, with their static air. You may think this is not an issue in Sweden, but believe me, it is as soon as the temperature raises above 20 degrees centigrade. The reason is probably that the hotel has only two floors, and the top floor gets hot as soon as the sun breaks through.

Our tiny room had window right above roof over the vestibule. On that roof, there was a seagull family settled, two large chicks just about to start learning to fly. What a spectacle! Incredible noise from dawn (4 AM!) throughout the day, as the chicks (size of full-grown larger hens) yelled and waited for the mother to come back with food. We had to keep the window open due to the still air inside, but then closed it when the gull chicks started peeking inside toward our nut bowl.

The receptionist politely explained to me that seagulls are welcome everywhere in Sweden, and nothing could be done about it.

The hotel breakfast is average, but the dinner served in the hotel restaurant is good and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Consider a larger room than two-bed. Most of the rooms are accessible from outside, either the grou...
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We stayed for one night following Madonna's concert in Gothenburg 4th of July. It felt like we'd gotten the last ordinary priced hotel room in the city so we would have been quite happy no matter what the hotel had been like. Room was clean and comfortable, breakfast was good. They even had a small thrashcan to throw the tea bag packaging in (something lacking in every hotel I've visited, no matter 2 or 4 stars). The big downfall was parking. Although there wasn't exactly a big selection of avaliable rooms in Gothenburg when we booked, we wanted a hotel that had parking. But upon arrival to Hotel Liseberg Heden, we discovered that the parking system was peculiar, as the front desk explained: When you arrive, you pay for your parking at the front desk. Then outside, you claim a parking spot. If the parking is full, you get your money back and park somewhere else. "But can't you keep track of the number of spaces and the number of tickets bought in order to give information upon check in about the parking avaliability?", I asked and the receptionist simply replied "We don't have that system". So since the car park was full, which we accordingly had to drive around the parking lot to check, we parked at a nearby lot. Worked out well but wasn't what we had expected.

All in all a good hotel, which probably is better on a slower period.

Room Tip: If you have a car and wish to park, check out the parking lots nearby since there is no guarantee yo...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I spend two nights at Liseberg Heden Hotel. The location was great.

My overall feel of the hotel was a bit dated. I felt like being on a school camp, being on the ground floor in a wooden building.
The staff was nice, except the maids who went out of their ways to wish me a good morning. They were extraordinary.

The room was clean, a bit on the small side and.. I know this is not politically correct but I like those small shampoo bottles and wrapped bars of soap. No such luck here where they have installed soap pumps in the shower.

WiFi is free, which is great. And it works!

My room was recently re-decorated - not to my personal taste, but it was ok. The same goes for the lobby and corridors, I just don't share the taste. But it's clean.

The gym is only open in the afternoon (why?) so I never got a chance to visit.

The breakfast buffet is ok, nothing special. Bar staff was also ok... All in all, an ok experience. Nothing more, nothing less. 3 stars out of 5.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Sun1968
Reviewed February 23, 2012

I stayed in Gothenburg for 3 days on business. This hotel offered good value for money. The rooms were of good size and everything was clean. The TV had a good selection of stations, and I had a good night sleep as the rooms sound proofed.

Breakfast was great and the hotel is close to pretty much everything. Our meetings were in the Liseberg Park and that was about a 10 minute walk. The lobby was nice with the fire place and seats around it giving it a warm winter feeling. We had one meeting at the Hotel itself and the meeting rooms were well appointment and functional.

I certainly would recommend this hotel for business meetings.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business