“The hotel's small lunch restaurant is a hidden gem!”
Review of Lilton

Lilton
Ranked #55 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I can't say anything about this small family run hotel since I've never stayed the night (it's just a few yard from my home) but I can say a lot about the lunch they are serving. This must bee one of the best places in Gothenburg for a quiet, relaxing lunch experience! It's the kind of place that you don't want to talk about to other but keep to yourself. The dining room, which in fact is a glass extension of the main building, is charming and only leaves room for 20 seats but during summer you can also eat outside. The menu changes every day and gives a couple of dishes to choose from. The food is well prepared and tasty and served in a really nice way. You get a small sallad to start with and some delicious homemade bread. Coffee and a biscuit is included in the price, which is reasonable.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nilla T
There are newer reviews for Lilton

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

During a girls-weekend-getaway I stayed at this little hotel. The rooms were clean, small (not too small though) and they were all decorated in the cutest romantic style. Staff was friendly and service minded. The breakfast buffet was great - lots of different things to choose from.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I travel to Gothenburg regularly and have stayed in several hotels in the city over the years. Some time ago, somebody recommended the Lilton, though getting into it was a bit of a challenge until I learned how long in advance you needed to book – at least in the summer.

The only word for the Lilton is quirky. If ever a hotel were the antithesis of the large chain three star, this is it. Having stayed there twice, I have to say that it is neither the best equipped nor most luxurious hotel I have ever spent time in, but it has character and an eccentric charm. Each room is different and very Swedish. On my first trip my room was small, but OK. On my second I was in a suite with a palatial sitting room and bedroom which was room more than I needed, but I was not complaining.

But be prepared. Getting up the narrow spiral stairs is not for the unsteady of foot. There was no phone in my room (though there was free and reasonably fast WiFi) and the hotel shuts its doors (literally) at seven in the evening. When you check in are given a key to the outside door and strongly advised not to mislay it unless you want to sleep on the street outside (though there is an emergency phone number). The staff (I use the word advisedly because there only ever seemed to be one person around) appeared to be family. They are friendly and helpful, though in that rather formal Swedish manner. The breakfast is very much a DIY affair with rather limited options for those who like a healthy start to the day. There is a good choice of meats, breads and sweet things to put on them, but not much by way of fresh fruit (nor decent hot chocolate).

It is about 30-35 minutes’ walk from the city centre though there are plenty of trams close to hand. However it is quite close to a delightful old part of the city and it is really quiet at night.

The Lilton is one of those places that many people will either love or hate. I fall into the former category and hope to stay there on future trips (if I can get a room). There is just something irresistible about the place. But for those who like their hotel rooms predictable, better stick with the multinationals.

Room Tip: The small rooms really are small. If this bothers you, make sure you don't end up in one of the...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 24, 2013

First, despite "hotel" in the name, this place, with only 9 rooms, is more "bed and breakfast." So, you won't have amenities such as a lift or English-language TV. But, it is a very nice place to stay. It's tucked away on a quiet residential street, but close to the University and the main shopping streets. Rooms are quaintly decorated in traditional Swedish style. The manager is very friendly and helpful. We were given the suite even though we had reserved a double--room connected to a large sitting area (but no door between sitting area and bedroom). Tea/coffee maker and fridge in the room. Breakfast was excellent, served in a conservatory room--nice variety of breads, cheese, etc., plus great Swedish waffles!

Room Tip: Ask at time of reservation. The suite is much larger than the doubles, but keep in mind that it'...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed here with my parents for four days in November 2012 and found the hotel one of the finest places to stay in the city. Location is good, bus station and major tourist attractions are just at walking distance. Rooms are big, clean and nicely decorated in Swedish style. Coffee and snacks were good. Staff was well trained and always ready to help. They paid great attention to every need. I will definitely visit this place again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2012

After reading some of the reviews for this hotel (after I booked, but before going), I fully expected to find a nice hotel, but one that was short on space and perhaps could use a little tidying. Therefore, I was surprised to find that none of the complaints of other reviewers resonated with my experience.

I reserved a double and the space was larger that I expected for a room in northern Europe. The room was super clean; I didn't notice a speck of dirt (and I walked barefooted) or even dust. The service/friendliness of the staff was *outstanding* and the little touches were really nice (towel warmer in the bathroom, free biscotti and tea in the room, toffee on the pillow). The breakfast was AMAZING. You name it, they had it (eggs, herring and other meats, different types of cereal, yoghurt, freshly baked breads, jams, etc.). And breakfast was in a nice cozy sunroom with big windows and lots of light (there was also an outside terrace). (Unfortunately, the "upload photos" function for TripAdvisor review was not working, so I can't share photos with you.)

Finally, to the very important basics: the Lilton had free wifi (I have a Mac & my friend who also booked a room there had a PC and also had no problems accessing/using the internet). 15 minutes walk to my conference (Wallenberg at Univ.), 10-15 minutes walk to town with restaurants and shopping. To the airport from the hotel: 10 minutes on the tram & then a 20 minute bus ride from the main train station (VERY easy). The Lilton provides you with a map of the city (& gave me good directions).

I am trying to think of what they could do better, but I can think of nothing--and I am pretty picky! I guess I can say that if you are looking for a hotel that provides you with 24 hour service and soda machines, this hotel is not for you. It is family-run. The staff go home to sleep with their families at night and return in the morning. The rooms are kind of spread out, so it seems like you have more privacy than you do in a larger hotel (so if you like feeling like you are around a lot of people, this hotel may not be for you).

Room Tip: I was on the first floor. You may have to draw the curtains when you are dressing (lots of light &am...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 21, 2011

We stayed here in July 2011 for 2 nights as part of a 2 week tour of Sweden. The room was pretty, with lovely furniture and bedspread. There were nice touches like homemade biscuits with the tea/coffee making facilities in the room. The buffet breakfast was served in a lovely conservatory room and was stacked with great breads, cheeses and other goodies.

Our only criticism is that the room was quite small but most importantly didn't contain any storage for our clothes. It would be fine for a couple of nights as there are hangers and hooks for a few clothes but it meant that we couldn't unpack all the things we had with us on our 2 week stay.

The hotel staff do go home at around 6pm but they give out a mobile number in case of queries after hours. We didn't need this service so can't comment on how responsive they are.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple