“FINEST”

Ranked #57 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
New York City, New York
“FINEST”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed here with my parents for four days in November 2012 and found the hotel one of the finest places to stay in the city. Location is good, bus station and major tourist attractions are just at walking distance. Rooms are big, clean and nicely decorated in Swedish style. Coffee and snacks were good. Staff was well trained and always ready to help. They paid great attention to every need. I will definitely visit this place again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Poughkeepsie, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

After reading some of the reviews for this hotel (after I booked, but before going), I fully expected to find a nice hotel, but one that was short on space and perhaps could use a little tidying. Therefore, I was surprised to find that none of the complaints of other reviewers resonated with my experience.

I reserved a double and the space was larger that I expected for a room in northern Europe. The room was super clean; I didn't notice a speck of dirt (and I walked barefooted) or even dust. The service/friendliness of the staff was *outstanding* and the little touches were really nice (towel warmer in the bathroom, free biscotti and tea in the room, toffee on the pillow). The breakfast was AMAZING. You name it, they had it (eggs, herring and other meats, different types of cereal, yoghurt, freshly baked breads, jams, etc.). And breakfast was in a nice cozy sunroom with big windows and lots of light (there was also an outside terrace). (Unfortunately, the "upload photos" function for TripAdvisor review was not working, so I can't share photos with you.)

Finally, to the very important basics: the Lilton had free wifi (I have a Mac & my friend who also booked a room there had a PC and also had no problems accessing/using the internet). 15 minutes walk to my conference (Wallenberg at Univ.), 10-15 minutes walk to town with restaurants and shopping. To the airport from the hotel: 10 minutes on the tram & then a 20 minute bus ride from the main train station (VERY easy). The Lilton provides you with a map of the city (& gave me good directions).

I am trying to think of what they could do better, but I can think of nothing--and I am pretty picky! I guess I can say that if you are looking for a hotel that provides you with 24 hour service and soda machines, this hotel is not for you. It is family-run. The staff go home to sleep with their families at night and return in the morning. The rooms are kind of spread out, so it seems like you have more privacy than you do in a larger hotel (so if you like feeling like you are around a lot of people, this hotel may not be for you).

Room Tip: I was on the first floor. You may have to draw the curtains when you are dressing (lots of light &am...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Greater London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2011

We stayed here in July 2011 for 2 nights as part of a 2 week tour of Sweden. The room was pretty, with lovely furniture and bedspread. There were nice touches like homemade biscuits with the tea/coffee making facilities in the room. The buffet breakfast was served in a lovely conservatory room and was stacked with great breads, cheeses and other goodies.

Our only criticism is that the room was quite small but most importantly didn't contain any storage for our clothes. It would be fine for a couple of nights as there are hangers and hooks for a few clothes but it meant that we couldn't unpack all the things we had with us on our 2 week stay.

The hotel staff do go home at around 6pm but they give out a mobile number in case of queries after hours. We didn't need this service so can't comment on how responsive they are.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Las Cruces, New Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2011

We had two rooms in this hotel, one double and one single. The beds were fine and breakfast was served in a nice little room with fine china. The room smelled a bit musty. The bathroom surfaces had been cleaned, but details like the back of the toilet and corners of the shower had been missed. Both rooms had electric kettles and complimentary tea set-ups, but the cups and saucers in both rooms had been used--sticky and with tea in the bottom of one cup. This hotel was not at all convenient for seeing the city centre, but it was a quiet area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2011

I was incredibly impressed and touched by the hotel and its staff. In what was a rather traumatic time for me, I was staying alone in Gothenburg for a funeral, their help, kindness and efficiency made everything run smoothly and to plan. I was deeply touched by the owner offering to drive me to the funeral as she would be going near the chapel on her way home, of which I was extremely thankful for.

In all the hotels I have been to in the world, I must say that Hotel Lilton’s design, demeanour and dedicated staff would definitely have me return again without a thought.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Nashua, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2009

The Hotel Lilton is not a full-service hotel, but neither does it command full-service hotel prices. If you can keep this fact in mind, you will enjoy this hotel.

I chose the Lilton because it was ideally located for me, just around the corner from the University buildings where my conference was held.

I wanted to check in after 4 p.m. on a Sunday, and they were able to accommodate me, but I had to do so on my own by entering a code into the front door and then again on a box in the front hall where my key was enclosed in an envelope. Upon arriving, I found that my room and bath were both fairly spartan. For example, I had to remove the liquid soap dispenser from the wall next to the sink to take it into the small shower with me, which was definitely awkward. Although I paid extra for a little more space in a double (as opposed to a claustrophobic single), I was still only given one bath towel.

The breakfast choices were reasonably good (soft-boiled eggs, different breads, ham, shrimp sauce, granola, nutella, and jams) and the sunny breakfast room was very pleasant. The breakfast room was the only space I found to relax in the hotel outside of my room as there was essentially no lobby; the check-in desk fronted a hallway. Theoretically my room had access to wireless internet but I could never make it work. I was able to leave my luggage with the hotel personnel after checkout on my last day as long as I could pick it up before 8 p.m.

I made the Lilton work for me, but this small hotel simply couldn't provide the level of service that I've been lucky enough to experience in even B&Bs that have very motivated management. Again, I found I had to temper my expectations based on the reasonable price that I had paid.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Dr-Jill-from-NH
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2008

The Lilton is a wonderful, quiet, personal hotel in a residential part of Gothenburg. The staff attended to our every need. Our room was more than we expected and breakfasts were superb. There is a bus stop nearby and walking into the main part of town takes about 15 minutes. We will go back again.

• Liked — Helpful staff
  • Stayed August 2004
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Christopher_Tabby