“Good location in Gothenburg”

Scandic Hotel Opalen
Ranked #41 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Good location in Gothenburg”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

This is a typical Scandic hotel - not too good or too bad. Just like the Swedish expression "lagom". My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in November 2013 in a spacious Superior Extra room (were upgraded - thank you very much) on the 12th floor with stunning views of parts of the city. The hotel location is OK - not the very best but in a fairly quiet location. 600 meters to nearest airport shuttle, 100 meters to tram stop. The breakfast is typical "Scandinavian", with everything from fresh fruit to scrambled eggs and herring (no fresh croissants, though).

Room Tip: Choose Superior rooms if you want more space.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Malin W, Guest Relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review about your stay with us. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not more then ok, we do strive for excellence but sometimes it's a hit and miss even for us. I do hope that you had some golden moments during your stay and that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Malin W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Linkoping, Sweden
Reviewed October 26, 2013

When we came, the room was not ready. OK that can happen, we were a bit early, so that was really not a problem. The receptionist said we could come back in an hour, and it would be ready. We left our luggage, went out for some sightseeing, came back after three hours, the room was not ready yet. We waited for another ten minutes before it was done. We were three in the room, there were only one towel and one bathrobe. There was no phone number to the reception in the room, so I had to google the hotel and call in from my cell phone and ask for more towels and bathrobes. They fixed it immediately.

The spa area was a jacuzzi only. There was no possibility to lock the lockers (you had to have money with you, which I did not). Anyway, the stuff was still there when I was back.

The beds in the hotel were one of the better I had slept in. Very good.

The room was clean, but there were stains on the furniture. Not that it was badly cleaned, just stains that were not possible to remove. It still gives the room a more shaggy look. This should be easy to fix.

Room Tip: The panorama rooms at the top are really nice.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Malin W, Guest Relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Hello,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us here at Scandic Opalen. I am very sorry to hear that you had to wait for so long before receiving your room and of course there should be enough towels and robes for all people that are staying in the room. I am very sorry that we couldn't live up to the expectations you had but I am very happy to hear that you slept well.
I hope that you will come back to Gothenburg and we will have the pleasure to welcome you again.

Have a wonderful week!
Skelleftea, Sweden
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Recommended, quite close to city center and to old ullevi. Nice rooms and service.
The spa/gym is good, and personal quite ok. They were helpful when asking, but sometimes in the restaurant personnel could be quite cold.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Malin W, Guest Relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about us. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our city and hotel. I am glad to hear that you received great service and found the time to enjoy our spa department. I am sorry to her that the staff in the restaurant was not forthcoming and helpful though.
I hope that you will come back to us and that we will see you again.
Have a wonderful day!

Sweden
Reviewed September 30, 2013

The hotel is located almost opposite the Swedish Exhibition and Congress Centre in Gothenburg, which makes it a good alternative when visiting an exhibition.
The room is quite ordinary, the bathroom has damages on the floor tiles and there was a lack of towels when we arrived. The breakfast is quite poor and it seems like nobody works in the breakfast room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank nasim52
Hello,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your stay with us. I am sorry to hear that we could not quite live up to the expectations you had. We will certainly look over our routines and I will forward your comments to our housekeeping manager the same goes for the breakfast. I hope that you found some highlights during your stay.
I hope to see you again.

Orange, California
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is in a great location with plenty around. Lots of things to do, restaurants and shops near by. Their breakfast was decent but was a complete mad house on the weekends. And I did have one hotel worker trying to clean an area during breakfast physically pull me backwards and then push me out of her way. Just caught me a little off guard. Rooms are nice however kind of awkward floor plans. Air conditioner never did anything no matter you did with it. All in all it was a fine hotel, no big problems.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Malin W, Guest Relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Hello,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I am very glad to hear that you had a good time in our beautiful city. I am very sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience in our breakfast. I am definently going to let the breafast manager know about this so they know what to work on.

I hope to see you again and wish you a great week.

Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I could not have asked for better service, this was a perfect stay.
• Early morning calls from a real person, not a machine
• Special dietary needs for breakfast (I am diabetic) provided with a smile and after the first morning without me having to ask
• Cheese plate for the evening meal rather than a sweet dessert although it’s not on the menu (see above)
• Concert ticket organised and paid for
A great experience – thank you
Nigel

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Malin W, Guest relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear Nigel,

Thank you very much for your kind words and wonderful review I am so happy and overwhelmed you have truly made not only my day but my year, or even our year.
I hope to see you soon!

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed at this hotel one weekend. The standard room was quite small with two beds (140 cm) together. The carpet in the hallway was filthy and has probably not been changed since this hotel was built some 30 years ago. The first room I got had a TV with no sound, when I called the reception about this I got a feeling that they knew about this problem. However I got another room on the same floor. The location is OK with walking distance to Liseberg, Universeum and Allen the main street of Gothenburg. The breakfast was standard Scandic breakfast with pancakes and meetballs they buy as a finished product and heat up before serving.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Malin W, Guest Relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Hello,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write a review about your stay with us.
I am very sorry that we couldn't live up to the expectations you had. Thank you also for your constructiv criticism, it is very important for us to get feedback so we know what we have to work on. I hope that you will come back and give Gothenburg a second chance.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Malin W

Travelers are raving about these Gothenburg hotels