“Great hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

I loved this hotel. I had a single room, that was quite spacious. The location was great to get to Ullevi for a concert. It is close the public transport and in walking distance to Avenyn (shop, restaurants). The room was clean and very nice. Breakfast was good and overall I really enjoyed to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Malin W, Guest relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Hi, thank you very much for taking your time to write a review about your stay with us. It means a lot! I am so very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had a good time in Gothenburg. I hope you will come back to Gotheburg and visit us again, please don't be a stranger if you do return.
Have a great week!

Malin W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

I had a really nice stay at Opalen with my family, two nights in august. Well located, easy access to parking, Liseberg, Universeum, avenyn and other sites. The room was not perfectly cleaned, dust under the bed, on the vent in the bathroom etc.

I like the breakfast at Scandic- generally, but the scrambled eggs, seriously, is it really made from eggs? I was not super impressed by the childrens breakfast either. But overall, really good. We did not have dinner at the restaurant, but it looked really nice, and with a meny I liked!

We had a room at the top floor, a superior plus room, well worth the money. By the looks of it, the rooms on the "old floors" are not that great.

Would recomend it to others going to Gothenburg!

Room Tip: Really, go for the top floors, or not at all! We had 1326, top floor. Really perfect!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Malin W, Guest relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear guest, thank you very much for taking your time to write a response about your stay at our hotel. I am sorry to hear that the breakfast wasn't as good as you would have hoped it to be. I will let the breakfast staff know about your comments.

I am glad to hear that you were happy about your room and that you enjoyed your stay in Gothenburg. Have a wonderful week and enjoy the last days of summer!

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Nothing like spending $180.00 US for a hostel-like room that only has a single bed and a pull-out couch. The room was not entirely clean, a used wet towel left in the room, along with a dirty glass. Seems that we got bumped because of the handball tournament, although we had booked and payed for a double room 6 months prior to our trip. We still had to pay for an upgrade for the second night. That room was an improvement.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floors.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Guy O
Malin W, Guest relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us.
I am very sorry to hear that your stay with us was not as good as you had hoped it to be. I am especially sorry that your room was not clean. I will certainly pass this on to both our housekeeping department and our hotel manager.
I hope the rest of your summer is great and that you will return to Gothenburg again.

Malin W

Travelers are raving about these Gothenburg hotels

Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Stayed at the Scandic Hotel Opalen for a weekend this July. The location is excellent with Liseberg, Ullevi and Avenyn within walking distance.
The room was quite small but nice and the bed was really comfortable, the only negative thing about the room was that the trash bin hadn't been cleaned for a while by the looks of it.
Breakfast was good with the standard offerings. All in all it was a very good stay and the staff was really friendly and service minded.
I forgot the charger to my iPad in the room when we checked out but two days later i received a package in the mail with the charger without even having to call the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Malin W, Guest relations at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Hello and thank you very much for your response and kind words. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am so sorry about the bin, I will tell our housekeeping department to pay extra attention to the bins so they won't forget them.
I hope your summer is good and hope to see you again!

Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

Scandic Opalen is a great hotel located in Gothenberg Sweden. Traveled as Erick Matsanza. There is access to Road and Railway transport, I did the walking most of the time. From where I was staying there was a great view through the window, The staff friendly and helpful.

It was just wow! Need I say the ambiance, still memorable todate. Bicycles available to ride around the city, There is a cinema close if you are a movie lover. Great location, great treatment by the staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Malin W, Guest Relations Manager at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words and wonderful response. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, it means a lot to all in the staff that you found them friendly and helpfull. I hope you will come back to Gothenburg and that you will come and see us again. Have a beautiful summer!

Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the scandic opalen whilst on a business trip, found the staff to be very friendly and polite. View from my room on the 12th floor was amazing . Wifi was a bit hit and miss in the reception area but fine in the room. Would definitely recommend if you are visiting Gothenburg.

• Stayed April 2013
Malin W, Guest Relations Manager at Scandic Hotel Opalen, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Hello and thank you for taking your time to write a review. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you also for your constructive criticism
regarding our wifi, we will do our best so it will work better in the lobbyarea in the future.
I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to us and our beautiful city soon. Have a wonderful summer!
midwest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at the Scandic Opalen for 6 nights. We were on the 8 floor. We had two double beds which were pretty comfortable. The room had hardwood floors. The room was pretty small but comfortable. The bathroom did not have a tub but the shower was nice and big. We stayed in late July which is one of their warmest months. The room did not have AC but did have an adjustment on the wall for air circulation. The room was not as cool as we would have liked it to be. We ended up buying a small table top fan which did the job. We had to put the fan together and needed a screw driver, which we didn't have, so I went down the the front desk and explained my situation so they sent up their maintenance man to put together the fan. Which I thought was very nice of them!
The breakfast they have is included in the price. IT IS AMAZING!! VERY GOOD! They even had the world famous Swedish pancakes, which were gone in a very short time.
The hotel is situated in a convenient location, close to restaurants,transportation and entertainment.
Scandic Opalen is a nice hotel with great customer service and breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi, I just wanted to take some time to thank you for your review. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us even though the rooms were a little bit on the
warm side. We will definently take this under deep consideration. It is nice to hear that you got to see Gothenburg under a sunny day, it's when it's the most beautiful but
unfotunately I have to say as a native we don't get to see it to often. There's a reason why Gothenburg is affectionately called "Little London". I hope you will have a reason
to come back and visit us and try our pancakes again. Enjoy you summer!