“Nice place with good breakfast :)”
Review of Hotel Riverton

Hotel Riverton
Ranked #28 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Good place where to stay.

At first it was quite cold in our room, because outside wad freezing, but than we ask for additional heater and it was good :)

In simple room was everything that you need, even iron an coffee machine.

I really liked the breakfast :)

• Stayed: November 2012
Susanna T, Front Office Manager at Hotel Riverton, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Hello and thank you for your review.
We are really glad that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you soon again.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Riverton

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Got a very nice single room with a very nice Scandinavien style - all white new and nice. The price was ok for the hotel. They have a very nice sky-bar with a great view over the port. The staff in reception was very helpfull.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank boejland
Susanna T, Front Office Manager at Hotel Riverton, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Thank you for your respons on Hotel Riverton! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay.
Welcome back again!

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stay here two nights. So tried from the trip and very want to drink cold refreshments from the mini bar. Finding the glasses from the mini bar and got shocked, as you heard it the rumour of not using the glass from the hotel room. I have now very bad experience from this hotel and warning you who stay here not using the glass in your room.

• Stayed: November 2012
Susanna T, Front Office Manager at Hotel Riverton, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Hello
I'm so sorry for this incident! I will take a discussion with our housekeeping dep and make sure it never happends again!

Reviewed October 6, 2012

My husband and I have travelled extensively all over the world, and if you read my previous reviews, you know that I never write negatively about hotels without good reason. This time, I really hope that the hotel takes my criticism to heart and makes a few changes that really are necessary to bring their otherwise wonderful hotel up to standard.

The hotel Riverton is located in the harbour area, somewhat central and within walking distance to the casino, the opera and the large shopping center, Nordstan. There is a nice view of the harbour from the rooms that happen to be on that side of the building.

The staff is extremely courteous and helpful and when you enter the large, airy lobby, you get a feeling that this is a great place to stay. It is a mix of modern, tasteful minimalism with a few relics from times passed, like the elevators which have the most beautiful shiny brass doors.

But then, the hallway of the fifth floor(where my room was) smells of something nasty and the walls are dirty, damaged and in poor repair. This is easily fixed...a first impression on one's way to the room is very important.

But then, the room....there is only one word that could describe it and that was WHITE! Extremely clean but WHITE! Totally white walls, white sheets white lamps, white curtains and even white-stained, standard veneered fiberboard furniture. Even the TV was white. Of course there is the dirty beige sofa-bed with beige cushions and the grey carpet, but all around me I saw white!!! There was not even a mass produced framed painting or litho/poster on the walls. They were completely bare except for all the dirty black scuff marks that other people had made. The curtains also had dirty black spots on the white. When I come to a "home away from home" I want it to feel restful, because what I do there is to rest and nothing more. When I turned on the bedside reading lamp, the light reflected off the walls and the whole room lit up -not restful at all. I have been in hospital rooms that have more charm and hominess that this room! How difficult would it be to add a little somber, restful and neutral color to at least one of the walls and add a little artwork? For the price you pay for the room, almost $200 that is the least you could do to make a guest's stay more comfortable.

The room itself, besides the sterile whiteness (perhaps great for Nordics suffering from depression and in need of light therapy!) it is well-equipped. There is an iron/ironing board and hairdryer plus coffe-tea making facilities. The tv is great and there is free Wi-Fi in the room. The bedside reading lights worked and there were buttons to control the black-out jaloussies for the windows from the bedside.

There is though, no air-conditioning in the room and you need to open the window to keep the air fresh in order to sleep. There is an electric fan in the closet in case it gets too warm. A small mini-bar/refrigerator with two bottles of mineral water, but no notice, not even in the information folder
as if these are complimentary or not, so I didn't touch them. There is plenty of closet space and a safe to keep valuables besides a full length mirror to make sure you have buttoned your blouse correctly.There are extra pillows for the very comfortable bed, so if you can somehow block our the whiteness and fall asleep, you will sleep very well!

What's missing? In a hotel of this price range there should also be an electric trouser press and at least a chair to sit on (the bed sofa is very uncomfortable to sit and read or enjoy the view. A shoehorn in the closet would have also been nice as well as a clock radio to be able to see the time. An extra safety chain-lock on the door would add to the security that they boast so much about in the information book. There is no vending machin or place on the floor to buy more soft drinks and there was no ice bucket in the room to fetch ice in. These are things that are found in most reputable hotels of this price range and can easily be added without breaking the bank.

Then the bathroom....more white...Beautiful white tiled walls and tiled white floors. A beautiful clear glass sink and counter and huge mirror. All the necessary amenities and the possibility of fetching more in the reception. A clear glass "shower divider" and a shower with plenty of hot water and good water pressure. Also everything impeccably clean.

Here's the problem...this little glass shower wall does not cover the area used to shower and it does not go all the way down to the floor. However you try, the whole bathroom floor becomes covered with water and who wants to stand in a puddle of water while they are trying to dry themselves and do the rest of their morning routine? This bathroom is super modern and in excellent taste, but design and function do not always accompany each other and this bathroom needs either a shower divider that goes all the way to the floor with a proper glass door on it to prevent flooding of the bathroom, plus a proper incline on the floor to allow proper drainage, or they must try to rethink the whole shower-thing.

The breakfast at the hotel was very good and there was a large selection of hot and cold items to choose from including bakery goods and beautiful breads. The breakfast room was large and airy with beautiful views. There were candles and beautiful flowers on the table. So here, hotel Riverton is up to par. I didn't try the restaurant, but I am sure that the food and service are as good as I have heard.

There is a relax area with sauna and jacuzzi, which is well and good, but even the most simple hotel has a small gym or fitness room to get your blood moving in the morning or evening. Here, there is nothing. This is also something that I am sure normal tourists and businessmen alike would appreciate. Take one of your horrible WHITE rooms and make a small fitness room and there would be applauses!

To sum this up, I would never have chosen this hotel myself, but because my husband was directed to this hotel by his company (business trip) we had no no choice in the matter. For the moment, Hotel Riverton in Gotheburg is very overpriced for the standard of rooms and the facilities that is offers. There are small things that can be implemented and added that would improve the standard at very little cost. The location, great staff and food make up for it up to a point, but I will be happy to get back to my not-so-sterile walls so I can finally feel relaxed and at home again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isn't totally WHITE!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Susanna T, Front Office Manager at Hotel Riverton, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2012

Hello and thank you for your opinions.
You have left a lot of good feedback that we will be working with. However, I would like to comment on a few things here on TripAdvisor.
We have decorated our rooms on this floor in a bright, Scandinavian-style-hence the white. Our focus is to keep the rooms bright and fresh and we are glad that you felt that it was well cleaned. Our newly renovated rooms on the upper floors is more soft in tones of brown, beige and white.

We believe it is important with detailes and therefore we will not put mass produced posters in the rooms but we must consider how we can soften the impression a bit.
The prices, as we are working in a dynamic way, can vary depending on the booking situation. If it's closed to fully booked or if the demand is high the prices increases and vice versa.

We are delighted that you have taken the time to write so much to us and we see that we have a lot to work on. This helps tremendously in our future quality work.
Thank you!

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Clean, pleasant hotel with friendly helpful staff. Food in the restaurant is good, well presented and coupled to fabulous views out over Gothenburg harbour. Its also in walking distance of the main shopping area, the opera house is just along the road. I've stayed here on one other occasion for 5 nights in October 2010. Certainly between visits there was no difference in the good service given to me. Nothing is ever to much trouble... would certainly stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Susanna T, Front Office Manager at Hotel Riverton, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Thank you for your review! It's a pleasure for us to hear that we keep the great standard!

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed in one of the new suites. Great room for a good price (SEK2.200). No bathtub, but great otherwise. Good service and easy parking across the street. Location is a bit away from the city center, but its walking distance and about 10 minutes from the Opera.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Susanna T, Front Office Manager at Hotel Riverton, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Thank you for your great review! Welcome back to us at Hotel Riverton

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed here recently for about 7 nights. The hotel staff were courteous and friendly, always had a smile and a friendly word or two to say. The hotel felt secure. No access is granted to the floors without a room key (on the elevator). There was always someone at the front desk at what seemed like all hours of the night.

The room was nice. The one I had was efficient on space, but in no way felt too small or crowded. Do note that there isn't any air conditioning. I visited in September, so this wasn't an issue with me. The room comes with a fan. There is also a small refrigerator, and two complimentary bottles of carbonated water in it. They replenish the water when they clean the rooms.

I had a view of the water front and a small sofa for relaxing on next to the open window. The window shades at this hotel were awesome (it's the odd things that make the trip). By the time they were applied, no light could get in. It was great for adjusting the jet lag. I have nothing really bad to say about the experience. The hotel has a few restaurants nearby, and of course, the hotel's restaurant. Most of the concentration of restaurants were about a 5 minute walk. As for the city, it's worth mentioning that most restaurants seemed to be closed on Sunday (including the hotel's). So you might want to do a little planning if you happen to be staying on that day. The hotel does have a decent breakfast served daily. Breakfast has scrambled eggs and bacon, assorted muesli, fruits, and kalles/knäckebröd.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room that faces the waterfront. The area around the hotel seems quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Susanna T, Front Office Manager at Hotel Riverton, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Thank you for your great review. We are really please that you enjoyed your stay with us at Hotel Riverton.