“First stay, but most probably not the last one”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Hotel Waterfront Goteborg
Ranked #17 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
Wroclaw, Poland
“First stay, but most probably not the last one”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

What I liked:
- Quite spacious room with a big and comfortable bed
- Sofa in the room
- Modern interior of the room
- Comfortable desk area
- Plenty of tasty options for the breakfast
- Cleanliness
- Wonderful view from the restaurant
- Decent meals in the restaurant
- Friendly and efficient staff at the reception

What could be improved:
- Sometimes the coffee or tea bags were not replenished daily
- The service at the restaurant was a bit slow
- Plates available during the breakfast were quite small (I guess I have never seen such small plates in any other hotel) and therefore it was a bit problematic to fit in even just a few items

Overall, that is a really nice hotel which is (unfortunately) located a bit off the centre. If that is not a problem for the guest, I am pretty sure that he or she would be very happy about staying in Novotel. I will definitely consider staying there again.

Room Tip: River-facing rooms are worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Kopavogur, Iceland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed there for few nights. I have stayed in Gothenburg before but then more in the center. It takes like 28 minutes to go from the hotel to center + walking, but this just means you spend less money.

The hotel is in a old porter brewer factory. Nice concept and renovations. Rooms large, beds comfortable, free good WiiFii and everything clean and in order. Very beautiful view from the hotel and extremely beautiful to walk the coast close to the water and bridge.There is sauna, steam room and more for free use for guests.

I liked the hotel and it's surrounded, save for that the service could have been better. They should care more about the customer.

When I arrived my reservation was not found, but I had written confirmation. They made fuzz about this but then gave me free room.

First morning I woke up by a knock on the room. Suddenly while I was still in bed housekeeping was there in the room. It was only 8.38. I came down to breakfast 9.13. The breakfast was to 9.30 but they had started to clear things away, so I quickly went to gather food on plate and stack up on my table, so to speak. Finally I was getting my coffee to then sit down and eat. When I turned around with the coffee, I noticed a waiter taking all my food (break, egg, fruits etc) and putting it together in one plate!!! I almost came running and asked what she was doing. She told me "it is now 9.30 - breakfast is over !!! I asked if I could not eat the food I had put on plate and she repeated "Breakfast is over" I also asked again and then she said I could eat.

Next day I had no problems, except when I went to get the coffee refilled I took with me food I had left.

Day after that, I was growing more confident and left my bread on the table when I got coffee refill. The bread was gone when I got back, but this time I had time and could go and get more bread.

Morning after, I waiting for the cleaning made to bother me but she didn't come early. I left three times in the morning and always untidy when I got back to the room. At 1 pm I was starting to write, when there was a knock on my door and the maid asked if the room wasn't clean and if I didn´t have plenty of towels. I asked for my room to be cleaned and then she left.

So, the hotel was fine, but service would be improved a lot.

Room Tip: With a view to the water.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Arvika, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is my second stay at Novotel, the first one was also a business trip 3 years ago, and what I remembered was the great location and possibility for a good walk. This was still accounted for by the hotel, but the years haven´t done the interior good - the bathroom is out of fashion as well as the corridors and some other interior. I´ve seen on their website that it´s familyfriendly, but they haven´t done anything more than last time, with an x-box and the odd lego-collection.

Anyway, this stay was business, I took part in the stearing committe for a small symposium with 60 participants and that worked out very well - good communication, fast response when we had minor complaints (like the temperature in the conference room), and the dinner that was served was nice. Breakfast nothing special, though, neither the lunchbuffet. But plenty of food and no que served the party quick. Apropos the conference room - it has a magnificent view to the canal and harbour, really nice.

The usual complain from me: The beds are too hard. A good-sized room where it´s possible to have visitors is nice.

All in all a positive experience for a smaller conference where the bonus is that it´s a bit outside of the highstreets and therefore the attendants stay there and mingle.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Lidkoping, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed here on a weekend visiting Gothenburg, and I feel we got a good deal through a booking site, and I had also read some positive reviews here, so I may have had set my hopes up too high. Arriving at the hotel you'll be happy to notice that there's plenty of parking space which is also free. The front desk looks nice and the staff is quite friendly, even though it's fair to say that they don't go out of their way to make you feel welcome.
The room we got was facing the canal and I would recommend that if you stay here that you ask for a room facing it, as it's a really nice view. The windows are very small though, so don't expect too much! Also, the rooms feel old and dated. The floors as well as the sofa had permanent stains from years of ware, and the bathroom smelled and looked like it's been at least 20 years since it'd been renovated. The rooms have probably been repainted not too long ago to make them look more contemporary, but it still felt kind of cheap. The beds are pretty hard as well, and I'm sure a lot of people prefer hard mattresses, but we don't.

We didn't try the restaurant in the evening, so I can't say anything about it other than that it looked nice, and it sports a terrific view over the water! Breakfast is served in the same restaurant, and that was the second and final disappointment of our stay. They have a standard Scandinavian type buffet but unfortunately the bread and rolls were a bit stale, and the cheese and ham was dried up from having been out for too long. This was quite surprising as we had breakfast at 8:30 am on a Sunday, and I would expect everything to be fresh so early in the morning.

So all in all, I'll give it three stars anyway, because it was clean enough, free parking, free wifi and we liked the location. I will however, not stay there again as there are so many other really nice hotels in Gothenburg that don't cost more.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the canal, 5th floor or above is good for a nice view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Pune, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

I visited novotel earlier but studio apartment were very small which were given to me. This time when I visited, the apartment was huge about 66 sq. mtr. LED was about 40 inches. Kitchen & kitchen equipment was good too. Had a separate store room. Weekly cleaning done was good. Staff was quite friendly & very helpful. The best part was breakfast spread. It was of very high quality in terms of cereal, fruits, tea choices, coffee, different types of yogurt, milk, juices, 5-7 types of breads, etc.
It was real pleasant stay of about 1.5 month here. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Malmo, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

Novotel is a pleasant place to stay if you have a car. It's on the bay overlooking the ships traffic and the areas around for a walk or jog along the water is perfect after a days work. The restaurant don't update its menu too often so plan your dinner elsewhere now and then.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the water a must
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for five nights on a business trip. It was a pleasant stay, and the hotel and facilities all good.
The room is spacious and included a sofa and sufficiently sized desk area, and has good signal free Wifi, and a safe large enough for a large laptop. Also had an ironing board, iron and hairdrier should you need it. The only minor downsides for me - the furniture style was modern, the bathroom was sufficient, clean and all working though a little dated, and the TV had only one channel in English.
The restaurant and bar were both very good - nicely decorated, good food and good service (and a nice view over the river and to the suspension bridge), and busy enough but though the hotel was fully booked, never queues of too crowded either for breakfast or in the evening. Also I never had to wait long for a lift or at reception.
And is very handy for the motorway and has a car park with plenty of spaces.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business