“Lovely location, close to Center and Majorna cafe's and bars...”
Review of Dockyard Hotel

Dockyard Hotel
Ranked #47 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Room I had was basic but clean and simple-nice kitchenette with the basics, and a bigger kitchen just along the corridor. Having stayed in Sweden a few times now hotels seem to feel a lot less personal than elsewhere in Europe, but I don't mind this as I don't spend much time in my room anyway.

Nya Varvet is actually spread across several buildings, with breakfast and reception served in their main admin building, which is fine. There's a supermarket about 5 minutes up the hill that has anything you might want to buy for yourself and is open till 10pm, which was handy.

Breakfast was great-loads of choice and all fresh. Generally very busy so not easy to get a table some days but the view across the marina makes up for it!

The staff were very friendly and professional-anything I asked they were eager to help, and WiFi etc was free. Linen was clean and fresh and towels were changed so very happy.

I cycled from Nya Varvet to the center of town in about 15/20 mins along the waterfront, it's a 10 minute drive from center and easy to find-I'm not sure about the bus links though.

In all, for what I paid i was happy-I would have stayed longer but the prices jumped up to double the nightly rate when I checked and I decided to go elsewhere, which was probably a mistake...

For clean, simple service in a nice picturesque area, I would be more than happy to come back here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Dockyard Hotel

Reviewed July 19, 2012

We spent 17 days in Scandinavia and since I used TripAdvisor extensively to book hotels, I decided to write about the hotels. This was our first night. We had had a flight delay so we were very tired and stressed. The hotel was a bit difficult to find using GPS but we were within 2 blocks. After asking someone, we were directed to the hotel. It is an older place and our room was small. It was clean, the beds were comfortable and were up in a loft. If stairs are an issue, it might be a problem. I would not like very young children there. For my husband and I it was fine. There was a small kitchenette which we did not use. We arrived at about 10:30 pm. There was a very friendly, helpful young woman at the desk. We thought it was charming, but my camera malfunctioned so if anyone can send photos of the room, I would love it. The next day we got a fantastic view of the wharf and ships. It was lovely. The breakfast was probably one of the best. There were breads, jams, cheeses, eggs, sausage, cereals, fruits, cold cuts and vegetables, and some sweet pastries as well. I know price was a driving force in this vacation with lodging, so I would say this must have been very reasonable. The breakfast was worth a lot! We did not stay in town and did not see the area. I do not know how convenient it was to sights, but I would definitely stay again if in the area. I would recommend this with no hesitations. Feel free to contact me with questions.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I stayed 4 nights at Nya Varvet in June. Breakfast was the best I had in all the hotels I stayed at in Europe, lots of variety. It was a bit hard to find the hotel taking the bus the first time but nothing terrible. I enjoyed walking to take the ferry into Goteborg instead of the bus a few times. The room I was in hadn't been updated yet and there was a slight odour in the room. For the price it was great value for Sweden There was a fridge and hot plate in the room which was nice for making coffee or tea, also there was a kitchen available to use if one wanted to instead of dining out. I had my meals in the city thou. Goteborg was interesting to visit.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Dale J
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at Nya Varvet. We were greeted with a warm smile and given rooms. Unfortaunately there was no kitchen which is what we had expected. Rooms in the mina building have a wonderful view but no kitchen facilities! However, I spoke to the Receptionist and explained that I was hoping for a kitchen and thy lent me the key so I could look at a Studio and also a ktichen we could use. This was getting very late ( Reception closed at 11pm) but we opted for the large kitchen and kept our lovely rooms! We were impressed with this service. The rooms were lovely, well kept, new and clean with kettle, coffeee, tea and 3 pillows per preson! Unfortaunately, they were not cleaned at any time while we were there (5 days) although we did receive clean towels on 1 day (they were wondererful white new towels!).
The breakfast was comprehenive and filling althought it finished at 9am on week days which was a bit early!
The settting by the bay was outstanding and there was always interesting thing to see and boats to watch. If you wanted to go to Gothenberg, just go out if the hotel and trun right and keep walking along the river front until you get to the boat - only about £2 each to go into town. If you want to take the tram, walk outside the holte to the left, follow the road up to the top of the hill and keep going up. You'll find the tram stop (there are no signs or directions so we just followed someone else first time!).

You will enjoy the freedom, the setting, the peace and quiet and lovely Swedish hospitality.

Do go....!

Room Tip: Take extra tea bags Rooms in the main building have better views
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank williawebb
Reviewed October 14, 2011

My husband and family (we are between 41-70 years of age) stayed at this hotel over weekend. Breakfast was really good and you need car if you want to stay here the studios are by harbor in Gothenburg little bit too far from centrum. We paid with credit card whole amount when we left but deposit fee (1500sek) are still hold by hotel 7days later and no answer or respond from anybody at hotel ,terrible. We have not broken anything or damaged anything at rooms, so we are thinking of contacting the polis.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank JZI
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I've stayed here for business purposes.
The rooms are quite basic but spacious and have free wi-fi. It's located a the Port, so great view on the water.
Breakfast is good, as well as the restaurant.
The meeting rooms are well equiped and modern.
To go to the center of Göteborg you need to take tram 9 and 11. It takes you 15 minutes.
I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2011

My wife and I stayed there from Wednsday to Friday, we had a room with seaview. Nice restaurant nearby Ruckmans http://www.ruckmans.se/ with great wiew of the river and the ships sailing in and out of Gothenburg. 10 min walk to the tram to Gothenburg, ore a 15 min walk by the riverside to boat to Gothenburg.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple