“Not for everyone, excellent for most”

Best Western Plus Hotel Mektagonen
Ranked #14 of 67 Hotels in Gothenburg
Wellington, New Zealand
“Not for everyone, excellent for most”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

While some will be put off by the location, I was very impressed by this excellent hotel. I have been travelling and Europe on business, and this is the best place I've stayed in so far. If you want to be in the centre of the action or lots of character, go elsewhere. But if you want a good, well appointed, hotel with great service, and you don't mind a 10-15 minute tram ride into the centre of town, then this should be great for you. I appreciated the large room with a microwave, fridge and hot plates. The shower was outstandingly good. There are laundry facilities so you can do your washing for no extra charge, which was invaluable for me on a long trip. I noticed a lot of families were staying at the hotel and imagine that the self-catering and laundry facilities suited them well. Yes, you do need to plan ahead for dinner as there are few local restaurants, but the supermarket has most things you might need to cook for yourself. Yes, my room looked straight into an office building, but it was extremely quiet at night and the beds are comfy. The staff were uniformly excellent at reception, even printing something out for me at no charge when I needed it quickly. There is intent access in the rooms, and breakfast was excellent. Highly recommended and I would definitely stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Joanna M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Odivelas, Portugal
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

Let me put this way: I didn’t left because Goteborg was overbooked!!
When I arrived I tough that the taxi driver had made a mistake! The building is horrible! I’m quite sure this was an office building transformed into a hotel, so the entrance is terrible, very cold decoration, or better saying no decoration at all. Reception staff friendly enough, but not well trained, no internet access was provided (it’s free in all hotels in Sweden), no explanation how to arrive to the room, etc. Got into the room and went to get a bottle of water in the minibar: EMPTY! After 11 hours of plains and airports, I went down to get a bottle of water in the restaurant. I requested still water, but when open the bottle it was sparkling! Call the restaurant that informed me that they don’t have still water! Great! Reception told me that tap water is drinkable in Sweden. Nice! I didn’t know that!

Now the room:
Room is quite big even for a 4 stars (furniture Best Western style, simple, Ikea type, no decoration at all), has a small kitchenette which is good if you’re travelling with small kids (with table and chairs), no garbage bin in the room, very soft beds (too soft for me), floor without carpet so you can ear your neighbours walking and moving chairs, the curtains must be always closed (you’ll be in the dark) or else they can see you from the building in front.
Bathroom small, white tiles in the wall so can’t be simpler, no bathtub, very small sink.
Cleaning: the windows where really dirty, electricity outlets where dirty. Could be much better, you ca clearly note that management is not paying attention to details. No Duty manager during the night and reception can´t sort out anything! When i comment that windows where dirty they told me that is done by an outsourcing company. So what!!??? Shall I call them myself??!!
Restaurant: I requested room service. Fetuttini veal was well done but the veal seemed a peace of wood; salad was good and the parfait desert was a disaster.

Overall, if you’re with children it’s a good choice if you don’t want to stay in the city center (hotel is quite far), if you’re in business, just forge it!! Go elsewhere because the service is terrible!

Room Tip: bring ear plugs because there is loads of noice
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Helena S
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

large modern hotel on the outskirts of gothenburg, where the rooms are absolutely huge and more like a flat than a room, my breakfast was given to me in a box to take back to my room/flat to do as you please with the next morning as i had an early start..., mine had its own sauna and all glass window fronts to look at the passers by and traffic etc, parked my car across the street to avoid the charges, comfy beds and nice and quite, not really central need to take a tram or taxi in to the centre

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Moss, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

The room is nice, but I really missed being able to have a warm bathroom. No possibility to do anything with the temperature on the bathroom floor.
We stayed at this hotel this weekend because we were attending a big International Dogshow. So, a very dog-friendly hotel, but you had to walk a bit to find grass.....
Nice beds - Overall a nice hotel, but did not appreciate having to pay 140 pr. night for parking....

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lf_Norway_11
Vantaa, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2011

The hotel was good and clean a little bit sterile. Room was more spacious for four people than averige. Hotel is located in the "industrial" area. There was quite good tram connections to the city though. If you are not looking night life this is good enough choice. Breakfast was crowded and huge queues to the waffel grill (only one available and all the children wanted one).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Juttis
Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

The rooms in this hotel are ok for famelies as they are relatively big with a small kitchen.Otherwise this does not feel as an hotel more like an institution or hospital. This goes for both inside and outside of the hotel. The area is also not nice as it is like an industrial area.The good thing is that it is close to the tram and about 15 minutes walk to Liseberg if that is one of your destinations. We were unhappy with the way our room (especially the toilet) was cleaned or rather not cleaned. Several complains to the reception did not result in any improvement though staff at reception was friendly. Practical with a supermarked in the same building. Building contains offices and some other businesses. Inspite of the location you still have to pay quite a bit for parking at the hotel parking. It seemed to us that it was very difficult to fing alternative parking. We thought the hotel did not give value for our money.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Safari1957
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2011

I arrived quite late and couldn’t believe my eyes: in the middle of an industrial area in the outskirts of Gothenburg there was this hotel in an office complex.
Ok, I checked in and was given good service and asked for a WIFI key and was handled a wire to connect to the internet in the room. No wifi, hrm…

Then I went to the bar to have a quick sandwich and a beer before going to bed, and the bar reminded me of my old school kitchen which was very clean but everything but cozy.

I then went up to the room which was big and with a quite big balcony, but once again: sterile and no way near something that could be said to be cozy and nice. Wall hung TV and one (1) painting that both had a leaning on approx. 15% which made me tilt my head when I watched TV.

The morning after I left as early as I could and went to another hotel to have breakfast, I wasn’t in the mood to sit in my old school kitchen having breakfast.

All in all: both the interior and the surrounding was depressing, sterile and clean yes, but it had the feeling of a hospital. I can’t recommend this hotel to any business travelers and I will never return.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business