“Our favorite restaurant in Halmstad”
Review of Pio Matsal & Bar

Pio Matsal & Bar
Ranked #3 of 164 Restaurants in Halmstad
Cuisines: European, Scandinavian, Swedish
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Vasteras, Sweden
“Our favorite restaurant in Halmstad”
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Always friendly, always good food. It's a bit on the expensive side, especially when it comes to the wines, but it's a good restaurant!

• Visited July 2011

Stockholm, Sweden
“Utterly expensive for what it is”
Reviewed March 21, 2010

Don't get me wrong, the food at Pio is really good and indeed they have their trademark "plankstek" which is a Swedish classic but has somehow only been able to be kept alive by Pio.

The problem I'm having is that Pio are trying too hard to be chic and hip with modern cuisine and that has a serious impact on at least how I feel when I leave there. The dishes are stylish but the portions are way too small, specially considering that you are looking at a minimum of €15 for a starter and €25 for a main course.

The interior of the restaurant however is really nice and I quite enjoy the modern feel to it and their best asset by far is their really impressive drink list where one can find really rare cognac and calvados. One can probably find other lovely alcohol but when one have the occasion to try a 1948 Coeur de Lion Calvados , well then there is nothing else that interests me.

Again, since they are trying hard to be chic and hip, if you're just a normal person you might not get the same attention and service as some others even though you're paying the same price. That is something I really can't stand, and that was the case when I went the last time.

Overall, if you have plenty of money to spend and you're not that hungry, well then it's definitely worth a visit, specailly if you enjoy hanging out with the local cool guys.

If not, well then there are several other restaurants in town that are recommendable.

3 Thank HAD035
Orlando, Florida
“Another fine dinner for me....”
Reviewed May 3, 2009

A stop at Pio & Company for dinner while in Halmstad is a must. I went there last week and was not disappointed. Pio & Company is a local tradition when it comes to "Plank Steak". Last year while here, I did not know about the “Plank Steak” dish because of my lack of attention to the English translation on the menu. So I missed out on their signature dish. This year I made it a point to have that missed dining opportunity fixed and I have made good on my promise to return. Pio & Co. is located right on the main shopping district in Halmstad, it’s very warm decor interior and outside seating is great for dining any day. Whether you are alone like I was this year or with a group like last year, this restaurant will not disappoint you.

8 Thank Love2TrvlMM
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Plankstek ! TOP !!”
Reviewed December 8, 2008

Plankstek ! TOP !!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Extremely good value for...”
Reviewed June 30, 2008

Extremely good value for money.
Delightful food.