“Nice front seaside hotel”
Review of Hotel Tylosand

Hotel Tylosand
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Halmstad
Kullavik
“Nice front seaside hotel”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

This is a hotel placed on the most spectacular beach in Sweden, owned by the famous pop star Per Gessle. The building is from the 60's but there are a refreshment going on all the time and part of the hotel is almost new. The SPA is great, service is on top and several restaurants to choose from. In the summer you have probably the best beach in Sweden just outside the hotel, other seasons you can walk the beaches and narrow walkways north and south from the hotel. A very good Golf Course, used by Solheim Cup some years ago, is just a few hundred meters from the hotel. Breakfast top class. If you are lucky on a summer visit, there is a consort going on in Solgården, a stage just outside the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new part of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Polish first
Germany
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

Two out of three nights sleepless due to extremely loud banging noises from the roof (vent housing?). Weather was windy and gusting, and the roof construction apparently is up to anything but calm weather. Room was cold and we caught a cold from this three day ordeal. I did tell the receptionist about the malfunctioning radiator, but to not avail.

Paying a premium price for such terrible experience is a major let down.

Suggest you avoid rooms numbered in the 4-hundreds.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Arrived late in the evening and realised I was one of very few guest.
After waiting in the empty reception for 5-10 minutes I had to call the hotel in order to get someone to check me in.
As this was low-season and the hotel seemed empty I asked if they perhaps could arrange a nicer room than the ordinary single-room I had booked to which the receptionist told me I had been upgraded to a double-room.
When discovering that this room was facing the parking-lot and not the ocean and also was a very worn down room with a depressing interiour I called down to ask to switch room to which I got the repsons that it was not possible.
I walked around the hotel and did not see a single soul. No one was working in the bar and there were neither staff nor guests anywhere so I ended up having to stay in the hospital-like room during my evening there.
A positive surprise when entering the breakfast in the morning where the staff were nice and there were some 5 other guests. Also the breakfast was fantastic and I was served a very nice omelette.
During the check-out it was the same person working and as this was the one I complined to regarding the room the receptionist did not bother to ask my how my stay was as I guess she did not want to hear my answer.

All in all I did not like the athmosphere and I was extremely surprised that the rooms were old and without any effort of offering "a home away from home" or even a touch of personality.
Also I felt the service of being below any expectations.
The breakfast is what keeps me from rating it with only 1/5.

I am aware of the fact that I did pay 1190 SEK for a single-room and that that is all I can ask for in theory, but as I am travelling quite a lot with work and privately I am also of the impression that most hotels wil upgrade you to some extent if the hotel is almost empty.

Room Tip: Either you pay full price for a room - or you wont get it no matter if you are almost the only guest...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Stayed here in the end of June. We stayed in one of the new rooms towards the sea. The hotel is located on a spectacular spot with a magnificent view and nice surroundings. It is basically built in the dunes of the white sand beach of Tylösand.

It is a very nice hotel with great potential but the general quality of service and food is poor having in mind the general price you pay for it. Hence, I cannot say that this hotel is more than average. It really needs to work on providing quality for the price it costs. There are many hotels around the world that are able to do so but not Hotel Tylösand unfortunately.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Very beautiful surroundings, the beach is 7km long.
Make sure you get a room on the Sea side. The view is great.
The amazing sunsets can be enjoyed through the full-height panoramic windows, and in the morning you can, from the very comfortable beds, watch the nearby island of Tylö gradually come under the morning Sun.
Breathtaking, twice a day :-D
The inside easily matches the outside though.
Beautiful decorating in the rooms, corridors, reception and the restaurants / bars. Very high standard.
There is an arts gallery spread throughout the hotel, many of the pieces can be bought.

Easily the best hotel I have visited.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Alekir
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We recently stayed at the Hotel Tylösand as we attended a wedding. We booked the room maybe 1 or 2 days before staying and we did stay in a larger room, with a terrace, but as regular travellers, we've had better rooms in some fantastic hotels for a lot cheaper.

I love photography, so the photographic art was a high point. The hotel has a great collection of work, particularly of 20th century icons, such as Kate Moss, Marianne Faithfull. However, the owner of the hotel is a member of the group Roxette and i did get the feeling that this was something of a theme hotel. There is a shop selling merchandise of his current group in the spa area, there were two books about the musician in our room and when we walked into the room, his music was playing.

The surrounding is beautiful - we had a beautiful view of the sea. However, the decor is definitely due for an update. Marks and stains on the tables in the restaurant, no shower door on our shower and dark wood panels - not great. Also, the plastic orchid in the bathroom really doesn't belong in any hotel, especially not an expensive one.

In addition, there is no car parking, nobody to help take your bags to your room and no room service food after 10.30.

Room Tip: choose a room facing the sea - it's a beautiful view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Barrington, Rhode Island
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Comment I found myself making was "best hotel in SW Sweden that I have stayed at." Keeping in mind, I was staying in small hotels which were very basic, think clarion, scandic, local town hotels, etc.

First of all, this place is expensive. My host paid, but I think it was $300+ for the night.
But large room by European standards, although not a king bed, it is the usual Scandinavian 2 single beds put together. And there was a single pull out bed in the sofa.

Sea view was magnificent!

We happened to be staying our night during some exotic car event, so the place w filled with super rich, party animals who drove lambo's, ferraris, etc. they were of course loud and obnoxious. We were on the 4th floor and someone in a 5th floor suite was throwing plates, beer cans off their balcony!?!? then there was an outdoor concert, probably organized by same group which started playing at 10:30pm. Good thing our 5 yr old was sound asleep, otherwise, the noise would have keep him up. It was loud despite good sound insulation.

So, be aware or check for any major events, as it could get a bit crazy. Overall, things quieted down after midnight, not that it really bothered us.

The spa/ pool area was awesome. Heated salt water pool, sauna, jacuzzi. Upstairs is an indoor / outdoor pool, but I couldn't bring my 5 yr old as it is a quiet above 18 zone. So I can't comment on that.

Breakfast was very nice. Huge also by normal small hotel standards, but this is not a small hotel.

Room Tip: Must get seaview, otherwise a wasted stay. Actually probably every room is seaview!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Halmstad
Best Western Plus Grand Hotel
#6 of 12 in Halmstad
First Hotel Martenson
First Hotel Martenson
#4 of 12 in Halmstad

Been to Hotel Tylosand? Share your experiences!