“Have not decided what they want to offer! Spa, family hotel or what!”

Falkenberg Strandbad
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Falkenberg
Stockholm, Sweden
“Have not decided what they want to offer! Spa, family hotel or what!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

The hotel is outside of the citycenter. It is somewhat deserted when it is not in season. Season is summer. Remember that Falkenberg is a "summer" city.
Very small rooms.
Breakfast buffé has most of what you expect.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the sea. Looking at the parkinglot probably not what you want.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

Spent 2 nights here while visiting a client in Falkenberg - the hotel is just a couple of hundred meters from their offices, which made it incredibly convenient.

Arrived late following flight delays and a slow airport transfer due to heavy snowfall, the lobby/reception was a truly welcome sight - astonishing range spirits lined up behind the reception that doubles as the lobby bar, while the entire lobby is covered in nooks lined with sofas, comfortable chairs and book shelves, as well as an open fire place.

Staff were friendly and helpful at checkin, although with heavy bags, it would have been better to have been located a little closer to reception (the hotel is spread over two floors, with significant distance between lobby and the furthest rooms).

The room was well presented and well equipped, although the bathroom was in dire need of an update. The most disappointing aspect were the beds. Pillow tops on top of a mattress that was so soft, it shook every time I moved and left me with some discomfort following both night's restless sleep.

Breakfast was excellent on both mornings with a great buffet selection and the buffet lunch that we enjoyed on the middle day was also good. Following a walk back from meetings late on the second evening, we were able to enjoy some local beer and great scotch sitting by the fireplace.

And very reasonably priced!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Malmo, Sweden
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

First off I tried to book a table for dinner at afternoon but the restaurant was closed even though it says everywhere that it's open. At the front desk there was this lady Lina that was just looking down for the entire 2 minuted before she noticed me. I told her I wanted to book a table and she said I should do it at the restaurant. I told her it was closed and she replied no it isn’t go look again.

I went up the stairs to the restaurants and looked around and sat for 5 minutes since I thought they might be having a break or something but no one showed up. I went down to the front desk again and tried with the same lady and this time she sigh but went ahead and started to book a table for us. She then said that the reason she wanted me to book directly with them is that they have a different booking software and things might ”happen” when we book at the front desk.

She did not have the slightest joy in what she was doing and I started to wonder is she was forced to do her work. Also she didn’t excuse herself when in the middle of our conversation she took up the phone and started to talk to a guest on the phone while I was standing there and waiting. I felt like I was at a $10 hotel in a 3rd world country but I was paying over $250/night. The place just looked abandoned.

I was in Falkenberg for a very important meeting and since the hotel was located near the beach I suggested we stay there. What a mistake!

The rooms are old and don't look like the pictures at all. They have a few new rooms that look like the picture and the rest is very old. I would guess at least 20 years judging the style and color of the interior.

We our company went up to the restaurant in the evening it looked packed. I thought at first oh well this could be a nice dinner after all.

Then we were approached by a running, (not fast walking she literally was running in the restaurant) girl who welcomes us and asked for our reservation. She didn't found us in the list of course. Then I remembered about what the lady Lina downstairs had been saying. So we told her that we had booked downstairs with a woman named Lina and that she actually had mentioned that this could happen. And the young girl(max 20 years old) was almost offended by what we told her because she then said that the restaurant was quite full and that we had to wait until she had confirmed our reservation.

So there we are standing together with another group that also were not on the “list”.
They told us that there was only 4 people working there and there was over 160 people eating at the same time.

Long story short we got a table after 10 minutes. This is what happened basically

Our cocktails arrived after starters and after the white wine we ordered with our starters.
Main course was 35min late
Dessert never arrived but instead they left us a check that apparently was going to another table.

The entire evening was just horrible. And what makes it worse that we had to listen to them apologize to us the entire evening for not being fully staffed . I mean there wasn't one person there working over 20 years of old. When I asked them why they continue letting people inside the restaurants they said the owners forbid them to do deny people.

I guess hiring older people must be extremely expensive in Sweden. Why on earth would you put inexperienced teenagers that should be working in a fast food restaurant in there then. It just felt so strange. Imagine getting served by in a flashy restaurant by a 18 years old girl who can't buy what she is selling in Sweden from the stores.

I would rather stay and camp outdoors then staying at this place ever again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Europe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

Entering the hotel into the lounge you´ll find yourself in a "sea" of sofas and armchairs plus an open fire (real wood and real flames). Make yourself at home. And the reception is combined with the lounge-bar.
The rooms are small but you don´t need a football field when the ony thing you´re gonna do is sleep. (There is a desk so if you bring your computer there is space for that too). Get a room towards the sea, which is less that 200 ft away over the beach, and you can sit on the balcony enjoying the view and the smell from the sea.
The (late) evening you spend in the lobby/lounge (bar comes in handy). In the morning there is a very good (one of the best) beakfast buffet served in the restaurant. Take it in the part of the restaurant facing the sea, in the back if you are still avoiding daylight or in the library. Here you´ll find a nice setting with high bookshelves (with books) a carpet with an old-fashioned map of the world an a good view of the rest of the restaurant (and even a glimpse of the sea).
A friendly and service-minded staff made this stay memorable.

Room Tip: Third floor towards the sea a bit off, but not very far, from the restaurant.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank FontanaACS
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

The renovations were still going on when I was there for three nights in February (-14 degrees C) for a trade conference, but most of the hotel has already found its new semi-colonial style (as it was described to me by other visitors). There is still some work to be done in part of the hotel, but what's ready -like the comfortable lounge and restaurant - (with furniture and other quirky elements you can actually purchase) has a great atmosphere. Probably crowded in summer (being so close to the sea), a stay in winter is great fun too! It takes a while to realise that the well-stocked bar IS actually ALSO the reception and there are more quirky things in this place (like the slowest lift on earth, quite near the reception). Rooms are good (especially the ones on the sea front) and have everything you expect (including, yes, a reasonably stocked fridge). The restaurant is surprisingly large, has a great atmosphere and menu and serves excellent food. Staff members there and elsewhere are very pleasant and extremely helpful. Tack so mycket!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with great sea view. And in the restaurant make sure you enjoy the same vie...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Gothenburg, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

There are plenty of reviews about this hotel where people complain about the renovations. We visited in mid November and there were no more renovations going on. The newly remodelled lobby is very cosy and we spent a lot of time hanging out there.

Fridays are very busy due to many corporate events, you could notice several times that the reception was under staffed.

I had a standard room on the third floor with a large balcony orverlooking the sea. I can imagine how beautiful it is in the summer. While the room seemed renovated, the bathroom surely needed some work. Especially the shower cabins could use an update. The strange part is that this big and busy hotel only has one elevator. At peak times there was quite a lot of waiting to be done.

The restaurant is cosy with lovely views over the sea. The food was ok, we were a large group with pre-ordered menus so we didn't have much choice there. Later in the night they turn it into a dance floor with really cheese old music. It was quite noisy and you could here it even in the lobby.

We used one of their meeting rooms for a conference. If there is another event going on next door, you can pretty much hear everything.

As a guest of the hotel you get free access to the swimming pool next door. It is nothing fancy though, just a public pool. If you want to use any additional services (gym or jacuzzi) you have to pay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

Just came back from 3 nights at Strandbaden with my mother. The hotel location is just on the beach and this is one of the biggest pluses! I don't think it is called an Elite hotel anymore, but is the same

When we arrived we had some problems locating the reception as that actually looks like a bar, and there were no one there. After realizing that it was probably the right place we stood waiting for some time, tried to call the phone number given (no answer) and finally a sweet young man came and said sorry, of course he did not actually work there, and were unable to help us check in. Finally Mikael came, and with out any apology for leaving the reception for 10 minutes, checked us in, without smiling once... Not a good start. We then came to our room and thought it was ok, we had expected more from a delux room, but it was a nice view of the beach. The bathroom on the other hand was a great disappointment, or rather the shower to be more precise. There was dirt/mold several places and it had obviously not been cleaned properly (ever???), just touching it made it go away, so it would have been an easy task to clean it. I went straight to the reception and told that I would appreciate it cleaned, and the same Mikael that was there when we checked in wrote it down and said he would tell housekeeping. No apology was made. The next day after housekeeping was done, the mold was still there and we had also noticed that the toilet seat was not mounted (which was not a problem for two women, but had there been a man there it would probably cause some frustration). I went back to the reception where there was another person (didn't catch the name) who smilingly told me that he was aware of it. When I said that nothing was done, he looked a bit surprised, but still NO APOLOGY (!!!!). He also promised to have the housekeeping look at it. The next day, nothing was done (surprise... ) and I decided that I would not use any more resources complaining about it. As we checked out I said that, for further guests, they really should do something about the mold, and the receptionist (new one) informed me that, yes she had seen a note with this information. Still no apology, and so I told here that the worst part was that no one seemed to feel bad about it, still she did not apologize and I guess they don't feel any responsibility for the hotel.

The hotel has a very nice restaurant almost on the beach which really make you feel like you are in southern Europe, with palm-trees and white sofas. On every Thursday and Sunday they serve a delicious bbq buffet, that we found by surprise, there where no information about it anywhere, even though this was a really good offering. They also have a restaurant upstairs with a nice balcony where they serve dinner or drinks (we opted for the last) in a nice atmosphere.

My overall rating of the hotel is that it could have been good. We constantly felt that something was missing and that they didn't seem to care too much which impression they left us with. We did have one very sweet waitress called Madelene at the upstairs restaurant, and she made the stay more enjoyable! Also the bed is really good, much better than most hotel beds I've had lately!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank MariHel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falkenberg
Varberg Stadshotell & Asia Spa
Grand Hotel Falkenberg
#2 of 3 in Falkenberg
BEST WESTERN PLUS Grand Hotel
Clarion Collection Hotel Fregatten

Been to Falkenberg Strandbad? Share your experiences!