“Best in Karlstad”

Ranked #7 of 172 Restaurants in Karlstad
Cuisines: Swedish
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are a small restaurant with high ambition when it comes to the food. We focus on local food and nice service and atmosphere.
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I have been eating at Restaurant Blå for years. I have never been disappointed. Last time I ordered a filet of beef and it was the best piece of meat I ever ate. I warmly recommend this restaurant.

There are newer reviews for Bla

Reviewed November 28, 2013

I have been travelling to most parts of Scandinavia & Sweden especially for eon's.
Bla is overall, simply the foremost restuarant I have found over there yet, without the pomposity of those in Stockholm and Malmo etc.....
I will now make a point [ and large detour if needed ] to go there whenever it is possible.
It is between a line of relative non descript shops / bars in the main square of Karlstad which belies what is behind the the facade.
The owner Filip Halgren [ I think was his name ] generally is around to welcome you and is a charming and extremely knowledgeable host with first class English - which is real help to us non speaking Swedish / any language [as we are English] brigade!
The food is terrific it is sourced mostly locally and is based on traditionally Scandnavian fare with modern and ingenious twists. Emphasis is on initially the quality from their suppliers, taste and presentation.
They have a good wine list, which is not extensive covers most area's, and they seem to be able match impeccably with their food despite some fearsome Swedish ingredients and if you can push the boat out, the tasting menu with their wine matches is a real treat.
Definitely a restuarant to go to, definitely one to ask for advise when you are there when ordering and definitely one to recomend to anyone for a really nice dining experience.
Just go...

1  Thank chris j
Reviewed May 9, 2013

A very elegant place, modern, with a very nice atmosphere, good music in the background, the staff was very friendly and professional, perfectly guiding us through their menu, mostly based on local food. We went for fish, and everything was really great. Good wine selection. Definitively a place to be visited.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

The nice inside of the restaurant was brown, not blue, with some curtains which created a nice privacy that's sometime missing in swedish restaurants. The food and wine was excellent and we could definitely recommend a visit.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

The food and selection of wine was great. Nice atmosphere. Absolutely recommended.
My only complaint is their tiny bathrooms...