“Very nice hotel”

Clarion Collection Hotel Drott
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Karlstad
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Clarion Collection Drott is a very good hotel with a great location close to the railway station in Karlstad. The staff was very kind and helpful as I arrived late to the hotel. The room was in good condition and clean. There was a wide selection of tv channels for the lone traveller. As for public areas it was nice and cozy. The breakfast buffet was very nice. All in all I like the hotel and can definitely recommend it to other persons travelling to Karlstad either as a business traveller or when travelling for visiting the city of Karlstad.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Clarion Collection Hotel Drott

Reviewed August 19, 2012

We used this hotel for a one night stopover on the way through from Stockholm to a holiday further North canoeing around Swedish lakes.
It's very conveniently situated for train and bus travel from the main bus station, and also for local shopping with the main shopping street just a couple of minute's walk away.
The hotel itself is a little dated, but adequate and clean. The inclusion of an evening buffet and breakfast in the room rate makes it better value. The buffets were ok - not massive choice, but adequate.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ian_On_The_Rock
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed here for one night during August. The hotel is centrally situated just opposite the railway station and a hundred meters away from the main pedestrianized street. Our room and bathroom were very small, and the double bed was narrow, but comfortable. There was no air conditioning, but it was possible to open the windows. The room was facing the backyard so it was possible to have a quiet night with open windows. The service was friendly and helpful all the time. During the afternoon there were free cakes, fruit and coffee. We paid about 125 Euros for a double room and this included breakfast and a buffet dinner, so we thought this was very good value for money. All in all a nice stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2012

As a “time-to-time” visitor to Karlstad (due to my job), I’ve earlier stayed at four other hotels in this city. This time (end January 2012), I gave Clarion Collection Hotel Drott a try. I shouldn’t have done that.
My reason for trying the hotel was partly due the central location of it - partly because of the hotels homepage which gives a very positive impression of a modern and customer friendly establishment.
However, I was very disappointed:
* From my car, in very good time ahead of my arrival, I several times phoned the hotel to ask them about suggestions where to park my car. Nobody answered the phone (however, I was connected to an answering machine which said that they were busy at the moment….I could also leave a message, however, I preferred to try calling back). When arriving to the hotel, I mentioned this. The answer I got, was that the receptionist was alone at work, and that she didn’t like to interrupt her conservations with the customers in front of her. (Before entering the hotel, I had found a parking house right across the street from the hotel. Cost to be paid in the parking meter at the parking deck: SEK 140:- for the night, i.e. approx Euro 15:- = USD 19,50).
* The presentation of the hotel at their homepage gives the impression is that the hotel is trendy and modern…that is not the case. The hotel, the elevator, part of the interior is old and not very updated.
* Just behind the front desk, there is a nice bar belonging to the hotel. There were a lot of people gathered due to After-Work (this was a Friday, and the clock around 5:45 pm). The receptionist did not inform me, as a new guest, about this - which says a lot of the hotels lack of customer friendliness. Off course, it would have been a nice gesture when newly arrived guests are informed and welcomed to “the party”.
* The hotel is located very centrally in Karlstad, which is good….and maybe not always very good ;-) On the other side of the street (a rather heavy trafficked avenue), is the railway station. I am sure that the noise from the cars, and not at least from the trains, can be very disturbing. However, I was lucky enough to get my room situated into a quiet court yard 
* The bulb in the lamp at the desk in my room was out of order. Quite annoying, as I was doing some paper- and computer work. (I then left the room and did not come back until midnight).
* When I was having my shower the next morning, the floor in the cabin was filled by water! And it didn’t disappear. The sewage was totally obstructed! When opening the door to the shower cabin (as I didn’t want to stay there), the whole bathroom floor was over flood by water. (I am sure that the hotel knew about this problem….as there was a robust “floor scraper” in the bathroom.
* When having my breakfast, I was using the coffee machine to get a Cappuccino. Not good, not warm, not drinkable! I enjoyed a cup of real coffee instead, not a big problem.
* And one last thing: When leaving the hotel Saturday morning at around 08:15 am, I asked the receptionist if the entrance door and elevator up to the parking house at the opposite side of the street would be open that early (as the shopping center was opening at 10:00 am). She believed it would. But it appeared not to be! I then had to walk a couple of hundred meters around the block, entering the parking house from the other side. (Off course, as responsible for the guest relations at the front desk at that time, she should have been informed about the opening hours to the parking house!)
Rather good about the hotel:
* The bed (madras).
* The breakfast (except from the coffee machine).

I will never stay here again. I rather stick to two other hotels in Karlstad which are good and reliable in every aspect: The Clarion Collection Hotel Bilan and the Elite Stadshotellet.

Room Tip: Do avoid rooms situated in the direction of the railway station
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Homevalley55
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Had planned to stay one night while passing thru Karlstad on a roadtrip, but after seeing the room and getting a great reception from the wonderful staff I decided to extend my stay by another night.

The hotel is old, but nicely renovated with all modern amenities and wonderful tall ceilings. The location could not be better, next to the train station for those who arrive by rail, plentiful parking across the street and within easy walking distance of attractions and just around the corner from downtown with lots of shopping and restaurants.

The free wireless internet and very nice free dinner buffet included in the price made this one of the highlights of my trip. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 19, 2011

As a norwegian I got a price over what was on the net. The hotel is situated by the train station. Trains do make noice. Between the station and the hotel there is a main road and there is a buss park in front of the station also. If you don't need to sleep I guess it's all right. I need the sleep and will never come back.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Earthwally
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Friendly staff,nice hotel,good breakfast,easy parking just across the street.
The hotel was in the hart of Karlstad,about 5 minutes walking to shopping,to a quiet park,railwaystation nearby.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family