As a “time-to-time” visitor to Karlstad (due to my job), I’ve earlier stayed at four other hotels in this city. This time (end January 2012), I gave Clarion Collection Hotel Drott a try. I shouldn’t have done that.
My reason for trying the hotel was partly due the central location of it - partly because of the hotels homepage which gives a very positive impression of a modern and customer friendly establishment.
However, I was very disappointed:
* From my car, in very good time ahead of my arrival, I several times phoned the hotel to ask them about suggestions where to park my car. Nobody answered the phone (however, I was connected to an answering machine which said that they were busy at the moment….I could also leave a message, however, I preferred to try calling back). When arriving to the hotel, I mentioned this. The answer I got, was that the receptionist was alone at work, and that she didn’t like to interrupt her conservations with the customers in front of her. (Before entering the hotel, I had found a parking house right across the street from the hotel. Cost to be paid in the parking meter at the parking deck: SEK 140:- for the night, i.e. approx Euro 15:- = USD 19,50).
* The presentation of the hotel at their homepage gives the impression is that the hotel is trendy and modern…that is not the case. The hotel, the elevator, part of the interior is old and not very updated.
* Just behind the front desk, there is a nice bar belonging to the hotel. There were a lot of people gathered due to After-Work (this was a Friday, and the clock around 5:45 pm). The receptionist did not inform me, as a new guest, about this - which says a lot of the hotels lack of customer friendliness. Off course, it would have been a nice gesture when newly arrived guests are informed and welcomed to “the party”.
* The hotel is located very centrally in Karlstad, which is good….and maybe not always very good ;-) On the other side of the street (a rather heavy trafficked avenue), is the railway station. I am sure that the noise from the cars, and not at least from the trains, can be very disturbing. However, I was lucky enough to get my room situated into a quiet court yard
* The bulb in the lamp at the desk in my room was out of order. Quite annoying, as I was doing some paper- and computer work. (I then left the room and did not come back until midnight).
* When I was having my shower the next morning, the floor in the cabin was filled by water! And it didn’t disappear. The sewage was totally obstructed! When opening the door to the shower cabin (as I didn’t want to stay there), the whole bathroom floor was over flood by water. (I am sure that the hotel knew about this problem….as there was a robust “floor scraper” in the bathroom.
* When having my breakfast, I was using the coffee machine to get a Cappuccino. Not good, not warm, not drinkable! I enjoyed a cup of real coffee instead, not a big problem.
* And one last thing: When leaving the hotel Saturday morning at around 08:15 am, I asked the receptionist if the entrance door and elevator up to the parking house at the opposite side of the street would be open that early (as the shopping center was opening at 10:00 am). She believed it would. But it appeared not to be! I then had to walk a couple of hundred meters around the block, entering the parking house from the other side. (Off course, as responsible for the guest relations at the front desk at that time, she should have been informed about the opening hours to the parking house!)
Rather good about the hotel:
* The bed (madras).
* The breakfast (except from the coffee machine).
I will never stay here again. I rather stick to two other hotels in Karlstad which are good and reliable in every aspect: The Clarion Collection Hotel Bilan and the Elite Stadshotellet.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Nordic Choice Hotels, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Clarion Collection Hotel Drott reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.